GDT: Chicago @ Buffalo, 1:00 pm est, 12/19/2015

WildCard

Heartbreaking loss but if you had told me we'd take 7 points in our last 5 games against the Blackhawks, Kings, Red Wings, Devils, and Ducks especially after the 3 road losses, I'd have jumped all over it. Should have been 8 with a little more luck but a very nice ending before the break. The team is slowly but surely getting better against some of the best teams. A time to let this particular game go and be optimistic.

Franson on the ice again for 3 on 5. How many times does that particular mistake have to bite us in the ass until Bylsma stops doing it?

First line looked good. Second line was pretty bad. I don't think Ennis Eichel and Kane had an o-zone cycle the entire game.

Who do you want out there?  Gorges and Risto were in the box.  Doesn't leave too much else.

O'Reilly just missed on open net shot from inside our blue line......

WIDE LEFT.

As bad as the double minor on us was don't you think the refs threw us a bone in OT with that phantom hook? Make-up call if I ever saw one. Too bad we didn't cash it in. We still outplayed them for most of the game. Sucks we lost but I'm happy with the big picture so far.

Absolutely a make-up call.  And, we didn't do anything with the ensuing power play.

With Eichel, it almost seems like he was told to shoot less and pass more.  Seems like he is trying hard to be a setup guy, which is fine... but there are times (like on the final power play) when he really should shoot the puck.  He'll figure it out.  Look at the career stats of almost any star NHL players and they normally show a jump in productivity from year 1 to year 2.  Rookie year is all about learning the game at the highest level.

Absolutely a make-up call.  And, we didn't do anything with the ensuing power play.

With Eichel, it almost seems like he was told to shoot less and pass more.  Seems like he is trying hard to be a setup guy, which is fine... but there are times (like on the final power play) when he really should shoot the puck.  He'll figure it out.  Look at the career stats of almost any star NHL players and they normally show a jump in productivity from year 1 to year 2.  Rookie year is all about learning the game at the highest level.

That did look a little like paralysis by analysis. Who knows who is in his ear. Moulson probably, for one.

I  have to wait for tomorrow for that though, right?

And no guys, we're not talking about the lube. 

The pelican has landed, I repeat, the pelican has landed.

O'Reilly really looked shot out there at the end. But you gotta beat that mule till it drops, lol.

Heartbreaking loss but if you had told me we'd take 7 points in our last 5 games against the Blackhawks, Kings, Red Wings, Devils, and Ducks especially after the 3 road losses, I'd have jumped all over it. Should have been 8 with a little more luck but a very nice ending before the break. The team is slowly but surely getting better against some of the best teams. A time to let this particular game go and be optimistic.

Great post!

If this was addressed earlier, my apologies. 

On the delayed penalty call on Fransen, why wasn't the penalty waived off after Chicago scored? 

GO SABRES!!!

RJ said it was because a goal can only wipe out one penalty and that was the guy in the box.

I agree

Fact one: Josh Gorges knocked away the puck before Patrick Kane tripped.

Fact two: Rasmus Ristolainen's high stick was caused by Panarin shrugging off the stick

Fact three: both of those instances are still technically penalties

Fact four: refs tend to let borderline fouls go late in a tight game.

Fact five: I have never seen two borderline minor penalties called at the same time creating a two man-advantage for a full two minutes with less than three minutes to go in a one-goal game, ever. Not even in Montreal.

Opinion one: Samson's pass on the O'Reilly goal was a play I can't recall another Sabre making.

Opinion two: Ryan O'Reilly is a beast

Opinion three: the best team in hockey was lucky to beat us today

You sure there aren't two Calloway Sabres?

Driver and 3 wood.

Fact two: Rasmus Ristolainen's high stick was caused by Panarin shrugging off the stick

Fact five: I have never seen two borderline minor penalties called at the same time creating a two man-advantage for a full two minutes with less than three minutes to go in a one-goal game, ever. Not even in Montreal.

Opinion one: Samson's pass on the O'Reilly goal was a play I can't recall another Sabre making.

Opinion three is my favorite.

Nice!

agreed, but our first goal was an absolute gift. 

Kind of.

They where tired from a good d-zone beat down, Crawford didn't want the cycle to begin again and made a bad decision. Franson pinched, beat a Hawks forward (Mr. Slow won a race!!!), and hit the net.

There's some hard work went into that gift.

Just watched the game.  Slow start but really came on in the 3rd.  Overall, i thought they hung well with a great team.  Refs altered the outcome which is a shame.  Got a chuckle when Brad May referred to Evander Kane as African-American during the 1st intermission.  Hard to be African-American when he's not, well, American.

Sabres playing well of late.  Dont like the long layoff till the next game.

Merry Christmas everyone.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.