GDT: Chicago @ Buffalo, 1:00 pm est, 12/19/2015

WildCard

If this was addressed earlier, my apologies. 

On the delayed penalty call on Fransen, why wasn't the penalty waived off after Chicago scored? 

GO SABRES!!!

I believe the rule is that when there are multiple penalties, the one that would end first is the one that ends when the goal is scored, so it was either Risto or Gorges.  Franson, then, has to serve his penalty.

Fact one: Josh Gorges knocked away the puck before Patrick Kane tripped.

Fact two: Rasmus Ristolainen's high stick was caused by Panarin shrugging off the stick

Fact three: both of those instances are still technically penalties

Fact four: refs tend to let borderline fouls go late in a tight game.

Fact five: I have never seen two borderline minor penalties called at the same time creating a two man-advantage for a full two minutes with less than three minutes to go in a one-goal game, ever. Not even in Montreal.

Opinion one: Samson's pass on the O'Reilly goal was a play I can't recall another Sabre making.

Opinion two: Ryan O'Reilly is a beast

Opinion three: the best team in hockey was lucky to beat us today

The hockey sense of Samson holding the puck for perhaps one more stride to get Crawford way from the right post was nothing less than brilliant, and given an opportunity like that, there are two Sabres (lifetime) I'd trust to score that goal:  Chris Drury and Ryan O'Reilly.  I'm watching it on NHL Tonight right now and they described Reinhart's feed as "filthy."

They were lucky that the refs decided to start calling penalties late in the game.

I believe the rule is that when there are multiple penalties, the one that would end first is the one that ends when the goal is scored, so it was either Risto or Gorges.  Franson, then, has to serve his penalty.

The hockey sense of Samson holding the puck for perhaps one more stride to get Crawford way from the right post was nothing less than brilliant, and given an opportunity like that, there are two Sabres (lifetime) I'd trust to score that goal:  Chris Drury and Ryan O'Reilly.  I'm watching it on NHL Tonight right now and they described Reinhart's feed as "filthy."

They were lucky that the refs decided to start calling penalties late in the game.

Reinharts behind the back pass to McCabe in the second was nice to and that should have been a shot between the pipes.  He dishes those out alot.

Totally in line with the original scouting of Reinhart:

Reinhart has excellent hockey sense and vision.  He seems to know where the puck is going before it gets there and finds the openings in the defence. He has excellent stickhandling and puck protection skills, which when coupled with his good vision and passing make him an excellent playmaker.  Reinhart is one of those special types of centres who has the ability to make his linemates better.  He is very unpredictable, when a goalie is thinking shot he makes the perfect pass to a teammate to give them a wide open net, and if a goalie cheats towards the pass, he’ll put the puck in the back of the net. While his shot could be a little harder and should get there as he gains muscle, but he is deadly accurate and has a great release that fools goaltenders.  Reinhart has shown the ability to protect the puck on the cycle and is willing to play in the dirty areas of the ice in order to score points. He’s a natural leader who seems to get a “letter” wherever he goes, whether it be Kootenay or Team Canada.

No letter yet, but I could see him getting an A before Eichel (but I'm getting ahead of myself).

For the ROR goal I think he "played" Crawford to cheat to the left post before slipping it back to ROR.  A subtle but key part of that play was McGinn driving to the net, making Crawford think that Samson would be passing to him and getting him to lean that way.  It's been so, so, so, so long since we've had a line that plays that well together.  And they're just starting to click.  It also seems like McCabe and Reinhart are clicking offensively too, and McCabe's faith in the defensive awareness of that whole line doesn't hurt the dynamic.

I think Kane/Eichel/Ennis have great potential and if they click too, we'll have those two scoring lines we hoped for.  I thought the 3rd and 4th lines played pretty well today, outplaying their Chicago counterparts for the most part, eating minutes, and almost getting a goal or two themselves.

I watched NHL Tonight and feel better about the Sabres after seeing Montreal getting spanked by Dallas and the Oilers struggling against Colorado.  This year's rookie class is going to shake up the league and I like the ones the Sabres have.

Edited by The Big Johnson

I felt like the ROR McGinn Reinhart line dominated this game for long stretches and I loved it.

One time they held it in the zone along with the 4th line for 1:44. That is unheard of for a Sabres team before DD.

Reinhart...my love only grows for this kid.

McCabe got beat a couple times buy he stood up both Toews and Kane when they were mid rush and took the puck from them and is showing more offensive awareness lately. Maybe he is the top pairing D they need? With further development, he's been a leader on championship teams for the USA at other levels so he has the pedigree?

Zemgus and Larsson have a thing going, they are getting alot of almost chances.

Ocho has looked solid and calm lately, I like his style

That sucks, I noticed that too

Honestly I felt good for the season ticket holders. We have had on going discussion in another thread about the secondary market and how down its been league wide and the many empty seats there are all over the league. What sucks is that it was not Sabres fans dying to see the rebirth of their team. But once you put them on Stub Hub any one in the world can be your customer, so blaming the STH is kind of hard.

Yesterdays loss was one I envisioned and hoped for at the start of the year. They lost yeah, BUT they are so much better than the last two years, and they will win those games regularly with a few more pieces. That sentence is what I wanted to say after every loss. I get to say that (blame some inconstant refs) and feel really good about my team after a loss. All is right in my hockey world.

Multiple personalities?

He rides me for saying pretty much what he agreed to later in the day.

EDIT TO ADD:

Damn phone.

I have zero doubt there is a devil AND and angel on each of my shoulders within 5 minutes after a loss. One of them is driving a tank and the other is holding a nice silver Cup. The one with the Cup ALWAYS wins in the end so here is to eternal HOPE.

Edited by CallawaySabres

Fact one: Josh Gorges knocked away the puck before Patrick Kane tripped.

Fact two: Rasmus Ristolainen's high stick was caused by Panarin shrugging off the stick

Fact three: both of those instances are still technically penalties

Fact four: refs tend to let borderline fouls go late in a tight game.

Fact five: I have never seen two borderline minor penalties called at the same time creating a two man-advantage for a full two minutes with less than three minutes to go in a one-goal game, ever. Not even in Montreal.

Opinion one: Samson's pass on the O'Reilly goal was a play I can't recall another Sabre making.

Opinion two: Ryan O'Reilly is a beast

Opinion three: the best team in hockey was lucky to beat us today

Fact one: if you get the puck, there's no trip, I believe. Also, upon frame by frame analysis, Gorges didn't get the puck. Kane has lost control of it himself. The trip was more of a combination of Gorges' left skate taking out Kane's right skate and Gorges pushing Kane from behind (and perhaps a bit of a dive).

Great game with a thrilling almost-finish and then a disappointing ending.  Still, the Sabres head into the break with plenty to be pleased with.  My game notes:

- Another very strong effort by CJ.

- If Patrick Kane isn't the best player in the NHL right now, I'd like to know who is.

- I thought both penalties at the end were legit calls.  You can't trip Kane when he's got the puck in the offensive zone looking to tie the game, and you can't hit a guy in the face with your stick.

- Leaving aside the accusations against Kane last summer, I liked hearing the crowd boo him -- not so much as a statement on Kane, but as a statement on the fans' involvement in the game and the passion of the crowd.  It seemed the boos got louder, and the crowd got more into the game generally, as the game went on.

- I thought the Bogo-McCabe pairing had a nice game.  On one sequence in the first period, McCabe separated Hossa and then another Hawk forward (not sure which one -- maybe Terravainen?) from the puck on similar rushes in the defensive zone with good bodychecks.

- I'm starting to think Moulson will get bought out this summer.  He's now on the 4th line, still completely ineffective and not showing any reason to give him a bigger role.

- ROR's goal was a thing of beauty.  Reinhart's play to drift with the puck to the goalie's left, drawing the goalie and the D that way, and then zip the pass behind the net to the other side onto ROR's tape was simply phenomenal.

- I don't think Eichel is struggling as much as some here apparently think, but that line didn't create enough chances yesterday.  Eichel turned down a shot from in close in favor of a spinning pass to Kane that went behind Kane, with the result being a wasted chance.

- DDB keeps things pretty even-keeled, but he seemed irritated in the post-game presser when Harrington asked him why neither Eichel nor Reinhart participated in the shootout. 

- Speaking of the shootout, I thought Zemgus was an odd choice, and the Sabres have generally been pretty crappy lately. 

- Still:  if they play that well after the break, they are going to be in the playoff hunt.

Totally in line with the original scouting of Reinhart:

No letter yet, but I could see him getting an A before Eichel (but I'm getting ahead of myself).

For the ROR goal I think he "played" Crawford to cheat to the left post before slipping it back to ROR.  A subtle but key part of that play was McGinn driving to the net, making Crawford think that Samson would be passing to him and getting him to lean that way.  It's been so, so, so, so long since we've had a line that plays that well together.  And they're just starting to click.  It also seems like McCabe and Reinhart are clicking offensively too, and McCabe's faith in the defensive awareness of that whole line doesn't hurt the dynamic.

I the ones the Sabres have.

ROR getting to puck first and making a beautiful spin and finding Samson was impressive also. They should be playing together for years! Maybe the go into the hall of fame together...lol, oh, now that's getting ahead of ourselves!

ROR getting to puck first and making a beautiful spin and finding Samson was impressive also. They should be playing together for years! Maybe the go into the hall of fame together...lol, oh, now that's getting ahead of ourselves!

I love their chemistry but I hope the long term plan is for each of them to enter separate lines.

Fact one: if you get the puck, there's no trip, I believe. Also, upon frame by frame analysis, Gorges didn't get the puck. Kane has lost control of it himself. The trip was more of a combination of Gorges' left skate taking out Kane's right skate and Gorges pushing Kane from behind (and perhaps a bit of a dive).

I did watch it slow-mo and I thought Gorges got the puck but it was close.

I thought if you got the puck first it was no trip too, but that's not what it says in the rule book. Apparently they changed it in 2014.

Either way, it was a play you often see let go.

I did watch it slow-mo and I thought Gorges got the puck but it was close.

I thought if you got the puck first it was no trip too, but that's not what it says in the rule book. Apparently they changed it in 2014.

Either way, it was a play you often see let go.

Oh yeah, now I remember the rule change. Thanks.

@Freeman

I also thought McCabe and Bogo had a nice game. Bogo seems to been rounding into shape lately.

He still has those moments of over pursuit where he gets caught in no-mans land, but there have been moments where he has been utterly dominant separating man from puck on the boards.

I also like the fact Gionta is finally out of the top six and playing with Larsson and Girgs on what looks like a real hard-checking 3rd line that is showing some signs of puck possession.

I know it's hard to stay patient with the lack of wins, but the signs are there.

This is going to be a good team.

Edited by dudacek

It's easy for me to not get upset about the end of this game because I didn't get to see it. So looking as a whole at the last 5 games or so, I think we go on a nice little run after Christmas and find ourselves glancing at the playoff standings until at least early March. Another 3 wins in 4 games should have us only a couple points out, and we're only getting better and better.

Yeah that's what I want, too.

A little out of whack though? An embarrassment of riches? Is O'Reilly merely a checking line center? He's an awesome two-way, three-zone, all-situation player, but is he more than a third liner? Is Girgensons just your energy line guy? Does DD even think in terms of that old-fashioned four-line setup? Could one of those centers be trade bait?

I'd like to see something on my desk in the morning. Thanks.

A little out of whack though? An embarrassment of riches? Is O'Reilly merely a checking line center? He's an awesome two-way, three-zone, all-situation player, but is he more than a third liner? Is Girgensons just your energy line guy? Does DD even think in terms of that old-fashioned four-line setup? Could one of those centers be trade bait?

I'd like to see something on my desk in the morning. Thanks.

O'Reilly a third-liner? On Team Canada maybe.

He has really changed things for me. I simply didn't expect him to be this good a centre.

I'm starting to think Girgs shine was partially a creation of Ted Nolan hockey. He still has to find himself in a mature NHL system.

I think he will and I am comfortable with him centring the third line or playing the wing.

Bylsma has not thought in traditional 4-line structures so far, but that has changed the last few games. Substitute Foligno for Moulson and the lines we saw yesterday are about as traditional as you can get.

I think once Jack and Sam get comfortable in this league whatever line they are on will score, no matter what label you put on it.

Edited by dudacek

I think ROR is the #1 center until Jackie Boy becomes too much of a force of nature to remain at #2.

I think Reino stays on the wing for either ROR or Jackie Boy pretty much forever.

I think Zemgus stays at #3 center pretty much forever.

Did you get a chance to watch Sam as a junior centre?

He was so good and such a natural centre - everything you want from that position.

Did you get a chance to watch Sam as a junior centre?

He was so good and such a natural centre - everything you want from that position.

I didn't see him as a junior, and I'm entirely confident in your assessment.

But I cannot see the Sabres' top 2 centers being anyone other than ROR or Eichel -- and Reino looks like he's going to be good enough so that he has to play on the top 2 lines.  So I think he'll have to play wing.

I'm reasonably confident that you don't want to unload ROR or Eichel to make room for Reino.

Am I missing something?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.