Tank 3.0

inkman

Gotta learn how to win, or we end up like Edmonton. Learning how to win is a huge part of success

you know why this team almost has the same amounts of points the 14/15 Sabres did in the entire season? better players - has nothing to do with learning how to win. I think the team will be better off down the road by adding a high end talent found at the top of the draft than winning a couple of more games this season.

OK, make that a 6 way tie for 30th.

Who wants a top 3 pick?! Anyone? Anyone?!

I think its Toronto, Columbus and then I have no idea. Not Edmonton is all I will guess.

OK, make that a 6 way tie for 30th.

Who wants a top 3 pick?! Anyone? Anyone?!

I sadly would like a top 3 pick but we're too good, not gonna happen.

you know why this team almost has the same amounts of points the 14/15 Sabres did in the entire season? better players - has nothing to do with learning how to win. I think the team will be better off down the road by adding a high end talent found at the top of the draft than winning a couple of more games this season.

I think its Toronto, Columbus and then I have no idea. Not Edmonton is all I will guess.

Agreed. We're down this low because of significant injuries, dd taking forever to find line combos that work and we have two top 6 forwards and two dmen that are essentially rookies. We will never be this low in the standings for years. May as well get one more core piece while we're here.

I do, I just don't want to tank to do it. And in all honesty, we don't have much to sell off this year anyway.

C'mon ping pong balls!

Tanking on a micro level can imply a lot more than selling off assets, right? Injured players who could return could be put on the shelf. Coach can make curious player usage and shootout personnel decisions. AHL callups to see what you've got. Tabasco in the jock straps. And so on.

Gotta learn how to win, or we end up like Edmonton. Learning how to win is a huge part of success

I didn't hear Schopp on this, but I imagine he doesn't believe in "learning how to win." Or that winning at the end of one season "carries over" to the next. He doesn't believe in momentum inside of games, either. Hell, he doesn't believe goaltending matters that much. He's said the differences in save percentages among the goalies just don't add up to that much. Quite the iconoclast.

Tanking on a micro level can imply a lot more than selling off assets, right? Injured players who could return could be put on the shelf. Coach can make curious player usage and shootout personnel decisions. AHL callups to see what you've got. Tabasco in the jock straps. And so on.

Like letting Lehner play? Sorry, had to :p

And yea, this stuff can matter. But honestly Bylsma was doing the same kind of stuff in Pittsburgh. I just think it's what he does. With injuries, how do we determine tanking versus being smart? With what we know about concussions today, and having witnessed Connolly first hand, I can't imagine arguing being cautious with Ennis is any kind of stealth tank.

I'm still completely neutral to results. I've seen a ton of improvements and seen the new guys do enough to satisfy me. I expect that to continue.

I'm satisfied, but after thinking in it I have to go back and disagree that they're learning how to win. This isn't the same roster at all, so the leap in points can't affect their mentality

Players know how to win.  These guys have all won throughout their hockey careers.  This concept of "learning to win" seems a bit far-fetched to me.  I guess it's me.

Some guys know how to win better but that's life.

The team is remarkably better as they should be and they have holes to fill.  I have no complaints.

Players know how to win. These guys have all won throughout their hockey careers. This concept of "learning to win" seems a bit far-fetched to me. I guess it's me.

This is where I'm at. I think players learn to win the moment the team has enough talent to win. How many really talented teams, in any sport, aren't competitive?

Players know how to win. These guys have all won throughout their hockey careers. This concept of "learning to win" seems a bit far-fetched to me. I guess it's me.

Some guys know how to win better but that's life.

The team is remarkably better as they should be and they have holes to fill. I have no complaints.

Also good.

I'm satisfied, but after thinking in it I have to go back and disagree that they're learning how to win. This isn't the same roster at all, so the leap in points can't affect their mentality

I'm sure this team realizes how absolutely atrocious this team has been for two years and how important a 20-point improvement is. I'm also sure they're all disappointed they're not much better.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.