Tank 3.0

inkman

I'm not sure if it was this thread or another, but there were comparisons being made to between Sabres After Jack 1.0 and Hawks After Pat 1.0.

This is worth a look:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CHI/2007.html

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CHI/2008.html

The year before the Hawks got Kane they finished 26th with 71 points, and moved up by winning the lottery.

That team had a 25-year-old Patrick Sharp with 20 goals and 35 points.

It also had Seabrook (age 21) with 24 points and Keith (age 23) with 31.

Kane and Toews arrived as 19-year-olds the next year, along with Andrew Ladd, while Byfuglien emerged as a regular and they jumped to 88 points.

Younger guys like Bolland, Brouwer, Versteeg, Barker, Bickell, Hjalmarsson and Wisniewski were in the system or starting to establish roles.

Campbell and Hossa were the key veterans added as free agents later.

The Sabres finishing with 70-75 points this year would be a similar jump.

They also appear to be attempting to assemble similar pieces:

Eichel and Reinhart ---> Kane and Toews

Risto and Bogo ---> Keith and Seabrook

Kane and Ennis ---> Ladd and Sharp

O'Reilly ---> Hossa

Zemgus, McCabe, Pysyk, Larsson, Foligno, Deslauriers, Fasching, etc ---> young Hawks role players

The Sabre group still has a long way to go, but the parallels in what Murray is attempting to do look pretty obvious.

Edited by dudacek

Interesting duda, very interesting comparative.

Time will tell, but I think you may be a bit optimistic in comparing Eich and Rhino with Kane and Toews.  It will likely be close, but not quite.  I hope you are accurate.

I do see Risto as our Keith, but Bogo?

Kane yup, Ennis?

I do think ROR will have a bigger impact on the Sabres than Hossa had on the Hawks.

I'm not sure if it was this thread or another, but there were comparisons being made to between Sabres After Jack 1.0 and Hawks After Pat 1.0.

This is worth a look:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CHI/2007.html

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CHI/2008.html

The year before the Hawks got Kane they finished 26th with 71 points, and moved up by winning the lottery.

That team had a 25-year-old Patrick Sharp with 20 goals and 35 points.

It also had Seabrook (age 21) with 24 points and Keith (age 23) with 31.

Kane and Toews arrived as 19-year-olds the next year, along with Andrew Ladd, while Byfuglien emerged as a regular and they jumped to 88 points.

Younger guys like Bolland, Brouwer, Versteeg, Barker, Bickell, Hjalmarsson and Wisniewski were in the system or starting to establish roles.

Campbell and Hossa were the key veterans added as free agents later.

The Sabres finishing with 70-75 points this year would be a similar jump.

They also appear to be attempting to assemble similar pieces:

Eichel and Reinhart ---> Kane and Toews

Risto and Bogo ---> Keith and Seabrook

Kane and Ennis ---> Ladd and Sharp

O'Reilly ---> Hossa

Zemgus, McCabe, Pysyk, Larsson, Foligno, Deslauriers, Fasching, etc ---> young Hawks role players

The Sabre group still has a long way to go, but the parallels in what Murray is attempting to do look pretty obvious.

Bogosian to me is closer to the Hjalmarsson of the Blackhawks.  I still believe they need a second elite defensemen to go with Ristolainen.  Everything else is completely fair.  It all depends on where we slot in the draft.  Whether that's for: Matthews, Puljujarvi, Laine, Tkachuk or for Chychrun.  

Schopp is advocating for another tank right now.

I like the guy (I know many don't), but I cannot disagree with him more on this.

The team needs to come together and learn how to win.

Schopp:  "Learn how to win" is not a thing.

Well, it's his job to take an angle that will get those phone lines ringing, those mouse potatoes clicking, those streaming links running, and, yes, those radio dials tuned in.

But he probably does believe it. And I agree: Most of the core is here. Start winning as much as you can. Now.

I like the guy (I know many don't), but I cannot disagree with him more on this.

I'm listening and I agree with him.  

We'll find out Murray's intention soon enough at the trade deadline.  I think he'll sell off everything he can.

Eh, I really don't agree with Murray having a fire sale. A fire sale would include every single player outside of Risto, Zemgus, Jack, Samson, and ROR. Kane's not leaving, Des isn't leaving, Lehner's not leaving, Bogo's not leaving....all pieces he could sell but he won't. I'm with Eleven, this shouldn't be about losing out from here, and I don't think it is

But moving a few pending UFAs is just smart asset management.

Yep.

And there's plenty of time for picks for prospect trades & prospect for player trades in the off-season. My guess is TM will be busy @ the deadline but the results will seem very underwhelming. (Hope I'm wrong. Would like to see some sort of splashy LT upgrade this year, but there don't seem to be enough sellers to see a 'we need this, you need that' type of trade that works for both teams & doubt a buyer would go for one right before the playoff push due to the possibility of messing up chemistry at crunch time.)

Edited by Taro T

100% agreed. And I think that is the plan.

But moving a few pending UFAs is just smart asset management.

Definitely. We've seen what a real tank is, won't be seeing that this year. Smart asset management is just something that goes along with the natural process of a rebuild, which we are currently in.

Why now? Might as well drag it out as long as he can and see what he can't fetch. Hopefully he knows exactly what McGinn is looking for, and where he wants to be, so he can just throw the contract at him if someone like Nashville doesn't go insane and offer us a Gaustad package

TBN seems poised to explode when TM deals McGinn, that's why I posted that. They'll spin it as another tank and be outraged and nobody will understand what their problem is.

I really don't know TBN that well, or the specific writers that are good at least. 

TBN seems poised to explode when TM deals McGinn, that's why I posted that. They'll spin it as another tank and be outraged and nobody will understand what their problem is.

I like McGinn just fine but he's JAG having a nice year. Wouldn't matter to me either way.

https://twitter.com/BNHarrington/status/695069321559687168 

Memo to GMTM: Enough about draft picks and "assets" Sign Jamie McGinn. Now. #Sabres

Tim Murray has to respect Mike Harrington's hockey genius.

He must be conferring with his scouts right now.

I like McGinn just fine but he's JAG having a nice year. Wouldn't matter to me either way.

Seriously. The guy will probably end up with 55 games on our top line and manage 16-18 goals. I get the symbolic value to those suffering PTSD, but from a pure on-ice perspective, I just think it's a really weird place to draw a line in the sand.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.