Tank 3.0

inkman

at what point do you start cheering / hoping for Sabres losses?

Im at the point that Im indifferent to Sabres wins v losses but definitely hope teams around them win.

That might change and I will start hoping for losses if they are still a point or two out of the bottom with 20 games to go.

Never.

So 1 game to go in the season and a loss means they clinch last place and guarantee one of matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi or Tkachuk.  you are still pulling for the win? 

In that scenario where losing clearly is for the best going forward......I'm neutral.  I'm just hoping that for one stinkin' time the hockey gods end up treating us right no matter where we finish.

Still not actively rooting for losses but worth noting: the Sabres will be in second to last at the end of the night. Columbus is in OT and Toronto/EDM play each other. Could end the night in sole possession of last place if Edmonton beats Toronto in overtime or SO.

This team has turned out far worse than expected. It will be interesting to see what a non-Regier will do.

I keep reading your posts, nodding in agreement, and then laughing after I glance at your avatar envisioning that guy being the one making your points, with that look on his face as me makes them. It's gold.

I do expect it to be an eventful offseason at this point. I have managed to keep my expectations reasonably low, and I am still hopeful at the potential our team has, but we should be better. We should at the very least be improving at this point in the season. Too many passengers.

This team has turned out far worse than expected. It will be interesting to see what a non-Regier will do.

It's really juicy to think about. I've thrown some bombs about TM and DD engineering a sly mini-tank. So maybe this is exactly what Murray wanted (and the whole let's be better but still be in the lottery quote). But I don't really have the courage of my conviction on that one. I find it hard to swallow that with the rebuild put on speed dial that the Sabres' braintrust isn't surprised and somewhat dismayed.

I'll throw Terry a rare bone here. I am almost certain he isn't happy. He wanted to win in a hurry when he got here, and I think the idea of the tank and immediate post-tank moves was to try to win in a hurry again (relatively speaking; let's use the three-year window that was bandied about in 2011 for a Cup). Pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if after this season TP (or the plural Pegulas) tell Murray and Bylsma they are in do or die mode in 2016-2017.

It's really juicy to think about. I've thrown some bombs about TM and DD engineering a sly mini-tank. So maybe this is exactly what Murray wanted (and the whole let's be better but still be in the lottery quote). But I don't really have the courage of my conviction on that one. I find it hard to swallow that with the rebuild put on speed dial that the Sabres' braintrust isn't surprised and somewhat dismayed.

I'll throw Terry a rare bone here. I am almost certain he isn't happy. He wanted to win in a hurry when he got here, and I think the idea of the tank and immediate post-tank moves was to try to win in a hurry again (relatively speaking; let's use the three-year window that was bandied about in 2011 for a Cup). Pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if after this season TP (or the plural Pegulas) tell Murray and Bylsma they are in do or die mode in 2016-2017.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is what Murray expected. We know this was essentially the same situation Pittsburgh was in after drafting Crosby. I have no doubt he's using that for reference. GM's don't do their job in a vacuum. 

Fan expectations were high. Perhaps they shouldn't have been. 

I expect Murray will make moves regardless of his intentions for this season. 

So team improves from 52 to 73 points this year. Next year, say  they improve to 87 points but don't make playoffs and you are ready to fire people?

So team improves from 52 to 73 points this year. Next year, say  they improve to 87 points but don't make playoffs and you are ready to fire people?

"Do or die" is very loosely defined. Who knows what Murray's timeline looks like? I'd be surprised if 87 points in Year 2 and out of the playoffs isn't at the low end of his expectations.

Maybe I should have simply gone with... you can't have another disappointing season like this one. Sorry, 30th place and 28th in goals for is waaaaaay below where this team should be.

"Do or die" is very loosely defined. Who knows what Murray's timeline looks like? I'd be surprised if 87 points in Year 2 and out of the playoffs isn't at the low end of his expectations.

Maybe I should have simply gone with... you can't have another disappointing season like this one. Sorry, 30th place and 28th in goals for is waaaaaay below where this team should be.

48 points and on pace for 72 is exactly where this team should be. Please find me one prognosticator outside of Buffalo thought this team would be anyplace but right where they are.

I've been disappointed in the last 2 games (save Justin Bailey) but definitely not disappointed on the season over-all.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is what Murray expected. We know this was essentially the same situation Pittsburgh was in after drafting Crosby. I have no doubt he's using that for reference. GM's don't do their job in a vacuum. 

Fan expectations were high. Perhaps they shouldn't have been. 

I expect Murray will make moves regardless of his intentions for this season.

FTFY.

Anything but the playoffs next year is a failure

That is not how this team is being built.

They will be closer, but I'd be surprised if they make it.

We are talking about a 40 - 45 point jump, give, or take, in 2 seasons.  Not bloody likely, IMO.

If we manage to get Stamkos, then maybe it's more likely, bordering in possible.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.