GDT: Buffalo @ Vancouver, 10:00 pm est, 12/7/2015

WildCard

Yeah no doubt. But am I the only one that sees if Jack turns it on each shift he could be a force. He seems to float around in those open areas which is fine but if we don't control the puck it's a problem. He just leaves you expecting more like the guy that could dominate but doesn't kick it up a notch.

Jack looked like such a kid out there. Physically and mentally.

Frustrated and unsure how to deal with adversity.

Sorry, I just can't buy the conditioning of Eichel theory. The kid's 19 years old and his athleticism impressed everybody at the combine. He should be able to outlast most of the guys on the team. While he may not be used to the travel aspect, and that may play a part on his psyche but he's not struggling because of his conditioning. If anything playing as much as he does is probably a welcome relief compared to the relentless media attention he got before the draft.

It's really not that deep, he's 19 years old and he puts too much pressure on himself. And he's probably not used to losing like the rest of BFLO.

I have said it before, Eichel had it easy all his life, he could afford to float in college.    He is still learning to adapt to the NHL level where he needs to learn to turn it on all the time.

What I love about the reinhart goal is that he was not just standing in front of the net.  You can see him move in and out 2x times before he gets the goal.

Jack doesn't know how to play hockey when his skill doesn't put him miles ahead of everyone else

I agree, he needs to learn still what he can do at the NHL level, hoping he will by january.

Remember that Eichel only played two games on the weekends in college. The kid is still learning how to adjust and pace himself. Look at how Reinhart has improved since last year. And having some good, consistant linemates would help.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of a McGinn-Zemgus-Eichel Line for a few games

Remember that Eichel only played two games on the weekends in college. The kid is still learning how to adjust and pace himself. Look at how Reinhart has improved since last year. And having some good, consistant linemates would help.

Yes, Brad May said in his post game comments that some players just look gassed out there with the NHL grind catching up to them, he didn't mention any players by name but I think he clearly meant Eichel as one.

Yes, Brad May said in his post game comments that some players just look gassed out there with the NHL grind catching up to them, he didn't mention any players by name but I think he clearly meant Eichel as one.

They definitely did. That late first period penalty kill stands out to me. They couldn't even slap a puck out of the zone.

As for Eichel, the grind and the game is catching up to him. Probably a good thing it's hard for him now. He has to fight through the wall.

Sorry, I just can't buy the conditioning of Eichel theory. The kid's 19 years old and his athleticism impressed everybody at the combine. He should be able to outlast most of the guys on the team. While he may not be used to the travel aspect, and that may play a part on his psyche but he's not struggling because of his conditioning. If anything playing as much as he does is probably a welcome relief compared to the relentless media attention he got before the draft.

It's really not that deep, he's 19 years old and he puts too much pressure on himself. And he's probably not used to losing like the rest of BFLO.

Gonna agree with the conditioning part, hopefully JJ's reason is right and it's not just that he's lazy AF

Yea, this thread reads exactly as I would have predicted. 

After 2 losses we are in tank 3.0

After 2 wins we are in let's make the playoffs

It's a long season with a lot of ebb and flow. This team should be very streaky this year. Give them time, they have much to learn.

It's not the losses. We all expect losses. It's they look horrible in these past two losses. When they play Calgary on Thursday would an over time loss be acceptable? They'll need to improve their game greatly to achieve that, and that is the part that's frustrating. It's not the occasional mental break down that leads to a loss, it's as a team, they sucked.

It's not the losses. We all expect losses. It's they look horrible in these past two losses. When they play Calgary on Thursday would an over time loss be acceptable? They'll need to improve their game greatly to achieve that, and that is the part that's frustrating. It's not the occasional mental break down that leads to a loss, it's as a team, they sucked.

They are young.  If this source is accurate http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2015/10/2015-16-nhl-teams-by-height-weight-and.htmlthe only team as young as Buffalo is Edmonton and Edmonton's young guys have been together for at least 1 year if not 4 or 5 already.

Be patient everyone.

Always a fun time in Vancouver -- although we only win 1 of every 5.

We looked like a really young team on the second night of a back-to-back in the middle of the west coast swing. Sluggish, a few good spurts here and there, and too many penalties. And when we did force turnovers, Miller was in perfect position. Really wish Moulson could've buried his breakaway.

Eichel was mostly invisible, but I think Vancouver did a great job of taking away space whenever he touched the puck. It'll be a bit before he forces people to give him space. All in due time.

Lackluster so far this year, Larsson surprised me last night. Looked feisty again. At some point he'll start scoring... I hope.

It's probably a combination of all those things. All of these guys are in fantastic physical shape so it's not really conditioning on its own.  As a former player I can see where Brad May is coming from, he said for the young kids its learning how to deal with the day in day out NHL grind, when and how you can conserve energy and when and how to dig deep all the while understanding the fine balance it takes so you don't succumb to the rigors of an NHL season. We all know Eichel by the numbers is a fantastic physical specimen, but he's clearing been struggling a bit of late out there.

Anybody see Josh Gorges spin himself into the ice last night?   He's killing this team... and Weber was very Weber like.    That pass he made right in front of his own bench, oh boy.   He had no pressure what-so-ever and put it right on the tape of Henrik Sedin.

You'll be surprised how much this team will improve with better defensemen who can win retrievals and make a crisp first pass.    It all starts from the back-end.     

for the young kids its learning how to deal with the day in day out NHL grind, when and how you can conserve energy and when and how to dig deep all the while understanding the fine balance it takes so you don't succumb to the rigors of an NHL season. 

RIght. Eichel is unquestionably in phenomenal shape. That doesn't immunize him from a learning curve when it comes to acclimating to the NHL game.

There's a significant mental aspect to that as well, btw.

Hang in there, kid.

Larsson had an edge last night.

But his offence has completely vanished this year.

Might be my most disappointing Sabre

Did not see the game, but, boy, do I agree.

Did not see the game, but, boy, do I agree.

I didn't have very high expectations for him to begin with.  It won't be too long before he's traded or waived.  Just need to give one of the kids in Rochester a little more time first.

Edited by eleven

Eichel was mostly invisible, but I think Vancouver did a great job of taking away space whenever he touched the puck. It'll be a bit before he forces people to give him space. All in due time.

We've talked about the ROR/Reinhart sessions at the end of practice where O'Reilly has been working with Samson.  I wonder if Kane needs to do the same with Eichel.  Kane uses his explosive speed to create space; sounds like a skill Jack could use.

The thing that's curious to me is that we see these things in games and we talk about the obvious solutions.  What's really going on?  Is Bylsma incompetent that he can't address such obvious issues?  Is he following some other plan that will all become clear at some point?  Is Jack sinking and not ready for the NHL?  There is pretty good consensus here on the forums that certain line combinations probably aren't the best.... what does DD see in pairing Eichel with Gionta, for instance... and why doesn't he shift Jack to other linemates that would have a better opportunity to help him thrive?  Is Bylsma mismanaging Eichel's development, or does he just have a longer view in mind?

Edited by The Big Johnson

I didn't have very high expectations for him to begin with.  It won't be too long before he's traded or waived.  Just need to give one of the kids in Rochester a little more time first.

i had some hopes for him. i wanted to see the makings of a third line stalwart -- from the guy whose nickname was reportedly "the bull."

the hope i harbour: along with something called a sean mcmorrow (sorry, ink?), pominville was waived (cleared waivers and was assigned to Roch) before the season started in 2005.

there's still hope for larsson. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.