Ryan O'Reilly and Colorado

bob_sauve28

ROR is worth every penny.  He was rumored to want 8 mil.  He got 7 and his brother got a sweet 700k to play in Roch.  ROR always says how much he looks up to his brother.  I think his brother's contract sealed the deal for him to sign here.  

That is such a cool part of the deal. Imagine that ever happening before Pegula took over? 

Gees, I hope the drop in gas and oil prices doesn't run us off the gravy train?? :huh:

That is such a cool part of the deal. Imagine that ever happening before Pegula took over? 

Gees, I hope the drop in gas and oil prices doesn't run us off the gravy train?? :huh:

He already divested most of his natural gas holdings.  From Wiki:  "Pegula eventually sold the Pennsylvania, New York, and Rocky Mountain assets of the company to Royal Dutch Shell for approximately $4.7 billion. He sold the Ohio and West Virginia assets of the company to American Energy Partners for $1.75 billion in 2014."

He already divested most of his natural gas holdings.  From Wiki:  "Pegula eventually sold the Pennsylvania, New York, and Rocky Mountain assets of the company to Royal Dutch Shell for approximately $4.7 billion. He sold the Ohio and West Virginia assets of the company to American Energy Partners for $1.75 billion in 2014."

Wow! Nice timing! 

This was a great trade. I will give Murray that much. Not only is ROR by far the best player in the deal he also takes a TON of pressure off Eichel. The fact he is only 24 is hard to believe. He looks like the clear veteran leader out there.

The TON of pressure is insight.

Biggest take away for me is he makes everyone around him better. His work ethic may rub off on the youngsters and his desire to always be better and get better than you were previously. He's rarely happy with his performance and wants to improve. I'm hoping guys like Samson and Eichel and all of them really see him as a mentor.

I was one of those worried about bringing him in. My mind is changed, but my primary reasons for not wanting him didn't have to do with his play. One, he would be UFA after this season (solved with signing him long-term) and two, the Sabres should be spending assets on RW or D and not another LW/C or C/LW. I'm still a little worried about that but with him being so good, I'd find someone else to move.

but I also think there's some incompetence in there. 

The economics may have constrained the decision making, but there's definitely some poor player valuations and team building decisions in there too.

One of my only true NHL connections is to the Colorado FO. This is a friend of a friend scenario - but the friends involved are good ones. Based on what I've heard over beers a couple of times, there is a significant camp of people there who believe P. Roy is an arrogant and myopic tyrant who lacks an openness to learning about modern trends in the game. 

Oh, and Sakic notwithstanding, it's apparently P. Roy who's essentially running the show.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I was one of those worried about bringing him in. My mind is changed, but my primary reasons for not wanting him didn't have to do with his play. One, he would be UFA after this season (solved with signing him long-term) and two, the Sabres should be spending assets on RW or D and not another LW/C or C/LW. I'm still a little worried about that but with him being so good, I'd find someone else to move.

The nice thing is, with Center pretty well locked down for the next, what, 7 years minimum? and a good stock of wingers, they can swing for D-men in future drafts. Guhle looks good, and you take a couple more guys over the next few years. One or two of those guys pan out, and along with Psych and Risto (and Bogo if he can get on the ice again) and you're looking reeeaaaal good there. You can find bottom pair d-men anywhere.

Edited by sabills

One of my only true NHL connections is to the Colorado FO. This is a friend of a friend scenario - but the friends involved are good ones. Based on what I've heard over beers a couple of times, there is a significant camp of people there who believe P. Roy is an arrogant and myopic tyrant who lacks an openness to learning about modern trends in the game. 

Oh, and Sakic notwithstanding, it's apparently P. Roy who's essentially running the show.

Looks like we dodged a bullet w/ that one.

Zadorov will probably be the best player on their side. He may end up as a #2 or 3 D, if he gets his s:($& together.

Out of all of those, we might miss compher the most.

Agreed on both.

Compher has the potential to be a great defensive forward.  His tenacity and compete is very high for his age, and was probably a steal in the 2nd round.  He had a great freshman year at Mich, then took a half step back last year, but seems to be back on track with 5 points in 6 games this season.

But I think both of those types of players and the roles they would play on the Sabres when fully developed are more easily replaceable than the skill set and drive that O'Reilly brings to the Sabres.  O'Reilly is more uniquely gifted.  Plus, the Sabres get O'Reilly's capabilities and locker room influence NOW, as opposed to the contributions the young kids would make 2-3 years from now.  This point is also bolstered by the notion that O'Reilly isn't an old veteran - he's only 24 -  and has many more years of hockey in him.  This makes him a perfect fit as one of the centerpieces to build around.

Additionally, I was happy to see the article detailing his invigorated work ethic and his embracing of his new, larger role (first on, last off the ice, etc).  It was exactly what I wanted to read after an off season during which he committed vehicular donutslaughter.

Additionally, I was happy to see the article detailing his invigorated work ethic and his embracing of his new, larger role (first on, last off the ice, etc).  It was exactly what I wanted to read after an off season during which he committed vehicular donutslaughter.

Wait, I hadn't heard about donuts being harmed.  Now I'm really worried he could end up with jail time.  :cry:

He's probably loving the role he's been given here, compared to being behind Duchene, Stastny, and MacKinnon. He can contribute a bit more offense and provide leadership than he would have with the Avs. The money and term are good too, but he seems the type to want to earn it every year, not just when he is a pending UFA. That's the culture you want to instill in the young guys.

Patrick Roy's Stanley Cup rings are plugging his ears and he can't hear you.

One of my only true NHL connections is to the Colorado FO. This is a friend of a friend scenario - but the friends involved are good ones. Based on what I've heard over beers a couple of times, there is a significant camp of people there who believe P. Roy is an arrogant and myopic tyrant who lacks an openness to learning about modern trends in the game

This is great.   Maybe we can trade them a traditional gritty defenseman like Mike Weber for Tyson Barrie.   

Another point about ROR that isn't brought up much.

Is he soft? Of course not!

Then how in the world does he manage to only go to the box like once a MONTH for his entire career?

(no once a month jokes, please!)

Edited by BagBoy

Another point about ROR that isn't brought up much.Is he soft? Of course not!Then how in the world does he manage to only go to the box like once a MONTH for his entire career?(no once a month jokes, please!)

Noticed that too, he plays tough but not chippy and skates away a lot after the play.

Edited by North Buffalo

Another point about ROR that isn't brought up much.

Is he soft? Of course not!

Then how in the world does he manage to only go to the box like once a MONTH for his entire career?

(no once a month jokes, please!)

He's heavy and he has great hand eye coordination. A guy like that is a chore to play against with or without the puck.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.