GDT: Buffalo @ Pittsburgh, 7:00 pm edt, 10/29/2015

WildCard

I like Paul Hamilton. To me he critiques more than he bashes.  If he wanted to make life easy on himself he could go after Weber/Franson/Gorges. That he zeros in on Larsson, Paul maybe expecting more and knowing Larsson can.

I used to enjoy listening to his insights as well.  And I do believe he has insight.  Now that I am commuting east I don't hear him any more.

I overheard Hamilton whipping Larsson pretty good during a WGR segment recently -- something about how Larsson should not expect to play with top 6 players all the time (that he's doing so now because of injuries), that Larsson needs to learn and really embrace his utility role up and down the lineup (and, by implication, he has not done that yet).

Hamilton seems unduly biased against the guy. I'm not sure why.

Paul had bad Swedish meatballs once.

(Edit: LTS, that's not a fat joke.)

Edited by pASabreFan

It started with the comment Larsson made last year about being on the fourth line — which weren't as over-the-top as they have been made out to be — and it has never stopped, not even during Larsson's strong stint to close out last season. Once entitled, forever entitled I guess for P Ham.

I always cringe when I hear him interview the new players and he asks a tough question that might warrant a controversial reply, or at the very least a reply that PHam doesn't like. It's almost like he baits these guys into saying something he can use against then the second he turns his back. When I hear the questions I think to myself, in my best telepathic efforts, "Just nod your head and smile, don't answer the question!" 

I like Paul Hamilton. To me he critiques more than he bashes.  If he wanted to make life easy on himself he could go after Weber/Franson/Gorges. That he zeros in on Larsson, Paul maybe expecting more and knowing Larsson can.

Pham isn't there to motivate players.  He should stick to reporting, if that's what we are calling it.

I overheard Hamilton whipping Larsson pretty good during a WGR segment recently -- something about how Larsson should not expect to play with top 6 players all the time (that he's doing so now because of injuries), that Larsson needs to learn and really embrace his utility role up and down the lineup (and, by implication, he has not done that yet).

I'll admit to not following the coverage at all, but the comments as you outlined them seem fair to me, other than maybe the parenthetical note.  That sounds like exactly what Larsson will need to be to this team, a jack of all trades type who can and will be plugged into any spot.

I'll admit to not following the coverage at all, but the comments as you outlined them seem fair to me, other than maybe the parenthetical note.  That sounds like exactly what Larsson will need to be to this team, a jack of all trades type who can and will be plugged into any spot.

Part of Hammy's point was that Larsson plays very well with top 6 players but doesn't when he's in the bottom six.

I agree. As does Hamilton. He just seemed to be (Paul) Hammering the guy for humping it when he was playing among the bottom 6. Which might be fair. I'm not sure.

Part of Hammy's point was that Larsson plays very well with top 6 players but doesn't when he's in the bottom six.

Quite so.

I appreciate Paul Hamilton. If riding a little extra on a 3rd line player is his main fault, he's doing fine on balance. 

Really I think it is hard to be with the team nearly every day in a beat role, and still be critical. I think he's earned the respect of the team, and that allows him to do that. 

I don't disagree with any of that. 

I think Hamilton has a pretty keen eye for what's going on with the team, players.

Let Webby play. It's his hometown. He's on the roster.

Forgot about the hometown aspect. Playing him is strictly the right thing to do and a classy, good move, regardless.

But I don't think Colaiacovo (sp?) did anything in the last two games to earn a return trip to the press box. I think he had more good moments in the two games than Commander Weber did in the previous seven.

GO SABRES!!!

Nah, it's okay.  They need to play him and Coco both and make sure they know which one they're gonna cut when (if?) Bogo returns.

gone next season will be M. Weber, Franson and Gorges (imo he's too slow for what this team is trying to become)... 

some pending UFAs which could be upgrades in the speed department:

Nikita Nikitin

Yannick Weber

Dustin Byfuglien

Brian Campbell

Kieth Yandle

Tyson Barrie and Sami Vatanen are cream of the crop RFAs on teams with cap concerns (they'll need to sign McKinnon and Lindholm)... deals could be made.    I'm a big fan of Barrie, he's still learning the NHL, but his speed is just fantastic. 

gone next season will be M. Weber, Franson and Gorges (imo he's too slow for what this team is trying to become)... 

some pending UFAs which could be upgrades in the speed department:

Nikita Nikitin

Yannick Weber

Dustin Byfuglien

Brian Campbell

Kieth Yandle

Tyson Barrie and Sami Vatanen are cream of the crop RFAs on teams with cap concerns (they'll need to sign McKinnon and Lindholm)... deals could be made.    I'm a big fan of Barrie, he's still learning the NHL, but his speed is just fantastic. 

Brian Campbell? The 90's just called and said they want their defensman back! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.