Future Sabres: Identifying the core

Hoss

SabreSpace likes to overthink stuff. Why can't you be disappointed AND patient? They're 2-7. They still can't score. Expectations were reasonably higher than this.

I'd like to think it's possible to be disappointed without going through an apparent meltdown and subsequent rant.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Well said. I am giving this team two seasons of "free passes" as far as wins and losses go. I want to see progress. Inidividually I'm still willing to get out the pitchforks for guys that flat out underperform or hold the team back.

If they start winning then that will likely change and my expectations will rise. But I'm thinking Murray and Bylsma both deserve two full seasons before their performance begins to be questioned.

If we don't make the playoffs next season I would be extremely disappointed.

I think it's complete nonsense to expect people not to.

I'm happy where this team is right now. Heck, just being able to root for a win, and not feeling guilty when they do, is a step in the right direction.

A lot of the problems that they have right now I see as being problems of familiarity. We see a lot of passes and shots that are just a hair off that will start to connect as the players really get to know each other on the ice. It's going to really fun to watch.

But this whole process has sucked, and while most here get where were are in it, there are many fans that watch each season in a vacuum. All they see is yet another lost season and I totaly get their frustration.

The average fan, sure. But plenty around here aren't looking at it in a vacuum, they're viewing it in light of other recent failures.

I personally cannot wait for Bogosian to enter the lineup. I think he will make a difference. Our goaltending is suspect, which was a wildcard coming into the year. With Lehner injured, we still don't know what we have there. I like what I see out of Eichel, Kane, Ennis, O'Reilly, Reinhart, and Deslauriers. I'm okay with Moulson. I think Girgenson is starting to find his way, but doesn't look as dominant as last year. Foligno, Gionta, and Larrson are pegs getting plugged in and I am not sure I have seen them fit and belong anywhere yet. I don't like McGinn on the top line. Just doesn't seem to match the level of play that is around him.

It's probably worth noting that Girgensons has played all but a handful of his NHL games in Ted Nolan's system (a bunch of games in October 2013 under Rolston and this year under Bylsma); he may be adjusting to a system that requires more than "work hard" for nearly the last two years. I think he was under Rolston in the AHL in 12-13, which implies a system but I don't know how effective it was.

SabreSpace likes to overthink stuff. Why can't you be disappointed AND patient? They're 2-7. They still can't score. Expectations were reasonably higher than this.

Therein lies the rub, expectations were WAY too high coming into this season.  GMTM set the bar above head level with all his moves and fans interpreted it as the team being good.  It will be, chemistry needs to develop and the D and G need to emerge.  Possibly not this season. 

Therein lies the rub, expectations were WAY too high coming into this season.  GMTM set the bar above head level with all his moves and fans interpreted it as the team being good.  It will be, chemistry needs to develop and the D and G need to emerge.  Possibly not this season. 

I choose my words carefully. Everything goes through my attorney first. Reasonably higher than *this*... 2-7 with one or two goals a game.

Pysyk and McCabe are the two fastest skaters on this defense. Faster than Bogo.

There is power, quickness, and flat out speed.

I'd give the edge to Bogo in all three areas to McCabe.

Pysyk might give him a go in the latter two, but I'm still betting on Zachary.

Wonder what the heck is wrong with him.

Edited by dudacek

I was referring to an earlier comment by Bylsma, who said Guhle, PYsyk and McCabe were the three fastest skaters on the blue line in camp before the injury when Bogo was skating. He may have brought an injury with him. Who knows but it is frustrating and he would definitely make this team better.

It's not the losing. It's how they are losing.

I expected the Montreal game, but I also expected it to be a 7-5 or 7-6 game with a whirl-wind finish. So yes, my expectations where higher, but not in wins-n-loses. The expectation is that we don't have to watch a bend but don't break, keep it close, hope for a lucky bounce in order to win game. That we are getting.

I'm just not seeing enough of the Jack/Sam/Tyler/Evander magic that makes me feel my expectations are being met. 

Woods, I don't think Evander is ever going to be that guy to give us "magic" on a line.  He's more like a war hammer.

It won't happen overnight, but I think Samson will become Danny Briere, then he will jump to Chris Drury status.  By the end of next season when the Sabre are knocking on the playoff door, he'll be our (Asst.?) Captain Clutch.

Eichel will be the stud of the team but Rdeinhart's contributions will be big too.

Would be interesting to know if there's an age correlation with those who are preaching patience. You're probably willing to be more patient when you know you have 50-60 years of Sabres hockey left to watch.

I've probably got 35 solid years of fandom (well, and life) left in me. Anything more than that would be gravy. I'm firmly on Team Patience.

Would be interesting to know if there's an age correlation with those who are preaching patience. You're probably willing to be more patient when you know you have 50-60 years of Sabres hockey left to watch.

I think I mentioned "the Red Wings" model on the forum here.  Basically they drafted Stevie Y and won it all 14 years later.  That would be like us waiting until 2029.  I'll be retired.  Or dead.

I've probably got 35 solid years of fandom (well, and life) left in me. Anything more than that would be gravy. I'm firmly on Team Patience.

As I type this on a Jitterbug, I am getting a sponge bath. They are fiddling with wires behind me. I'm firmly on Team HURRY.

I think Bogo is #1 in power and speed and #2 in quickness, Pysyk is #1 in quickness and #3 in power and speed and McCabe is #2 in power and speed and #3 in quickness.

All this talk of have patience, out of patience, no time, all the time in the world stuff...

All I can think of asking is this..

For those who have patience, when you run out of it what will you do then?

For those who have run out of patience, what are you doing about it now?

When do you stop tuning in to the games?  When do you stop buying tickets?  When do you stop visiting an Internet forum devoted to discussing the team you've run out of patience with?

Just curious...

All this talk of have patience, out of patience, no time, all the time in the world stuff...

All I can think of asking is this..

For those who have patience, when you run out of it what will you do then?

For those who have run out of patience, what are you doing about it now?

When do you stop tuning in to the games?  When do you stop buying tickets?  When do you stop visiting an Internet forum devoted to discussing the team you've run out of patience with?

Just curious...

I have pretty infinite patience, because as time is running, I care less. I remember thinking in 99 and 05-07, "man, if the Sabres win it all it's going to be such a party, it'll be great and I'll be there." (meaning in Buffalo or the surrounding area) Now, with responsibilities there's almost no way I'm going out the celebrate the way I'd like; to enjoy it the way I'd like. I probably won't even be able to watch the game effectively since I don't have cable. So while I care, it's not nearly as important to me as it once would have been.

I have pretty infinite patience, because as time is running, I care less. I remember thinking in 99 and 05-07, "man, if the Sabres win it all it's going to be such a party, it'll be great and I'll be there." (meaning in Buffalo or the surrounding area) Now, with responsibilities there's almost no way I'm going out the celebrate the way I'd like; to enjoy it the way I'd like. I probably won't even be able to watch the game effectively since I don't have cable. So while I care, it's not nearly as important to me as it once would have been.

Master Pie, when exactly did you become a Jedi?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.