Future Sabres: Identifying the core

Hoss

All this talk of have patience, out of patience, no time, all the time in the world stuff...

All I can think of asking is this..

For those who have patience, when you run out of it what will you do then?

For those who have run out of patience, what are you doing about it now?

When do you stop tuning in to the games?  When do you stop buying tickets?  When do you stop visiting an Internet forum devoted to discussing the team you've run out of patience with?

Just curious...

Sometime next season, probably around the trade deadline. If we're still selling at next year's deadline instead of sitting around talking about potential 1st round matchups I'll be pretty disappointed. What will I do? Why, bitch on the internet, of course! 

But you'll give it another year, right?  :rolleyes:

I'll give it every year I'm still alive but that doesn't mean I haven't lost most my patience. I have left 2 Bills games this year with over 13 minutes to go because they make me so sick. 90 minutes in traffic or leave when I know exactly how they are going to lose anyway.....

Perhaps not the right thread for this, but I really don't like Josh Gorge's game this year.  I wonder if his style of play perhaps isn't the best fit for Bylsma's system (?).

I think he's been pretty solid in his own zone.  I do despise every time he has the puck, but he can generally get it to Risto or the center consistently.

You're just spoiled by the Preds  :P

Edited by qwksndmonster

Yeah. I don't mean to get all meta on people (MattPie did a fine job already), but this sort of talk prompts contemplation.

What precisely is the point of being impatient with how and where things stand with your favourite hockey team? We can control none of it. Yes, yes - there could be talk of boycotting, walking away. Those kinds of choices by a cadre of super-devoted, highly-informed fans will not change anything. Saying otherwise is foolishness.

So, again: What's the point of being impatient? It's really a choice that a fan is making on how s/he wants to live their life.

I just can't be bothered to invest that sort of emotional energy in something that I follow for fun, enjoyment, recreation (and re-creation), trips down memory lane, bonding time with young ones in my home, diversion, sh!ts and giggles, and so on.

Now. I understand the process of wanting things to change on the roster, for moves to be made, for certain positions to be made a priority, and such. That is to say, I'm all for dealing with the trees.

But being impatient with the club's fortunes on a forest level? That'll never be me.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Would be interesting to know if there's an age correlation with those who are preaching patience. You're probably willing to be more patient when you know you have 50-60 years of Sabres hockey left to watch.

Dude. I've had like a billion hot pockets. I don't know if I have five years left.

Yeah. I don't mean to get all meta on people (MattPie did a fine job already), but this sort of talk prompts contemplation.

What precisely is the point of being impatient with how and where things stand with your favourite hockey team? We can control none of it. Yes, yes - there could be talk of boycotting, walking away. Those kinds of choices by a cadre of super-devoted, highly-informed fans will not change anything. Saying otherwise is foolishness.

So, again: What's the point of being impatient? It's really a choice that a fan is making on how s/he wants to live their life.

I just can't be bothered to invest that sort of emotional energy in something that I follow for fun, enjoyment, recreation (and re-creation), trips down memory lane, bonding time with young ones in my home, diversion, sh!ts and giggles, and so on.

Now. I understand the process of wanting things to change on the roster, for moves to be made, for certain positions to be made a priority, and such. That is to say, I'm all for dealing with the trees.

But being impatient with the club's fortunes on a forest level? That'll never be me.

I think your statement that the fans have no control is the operative phrase of your post. (Fans theoretically control a lot, because they can vote with their wallets, and even multibillionaires get the message; but that's never going to happen in Buffalo again the way it did when Rich would have 19k in it on gameday; don't ask me what has changed in our society since then; I'm not that smart.)

But when one of the fans is the owner, there is complete control. That fan had better be looking at the forest and not the trees. How he didn't bomb that front office back to the stone age is so bizarre, even though we saw the same approach with the Sabres. The only thing I can come up with (Pegula fan bois stop here) is that Terry figured, like Darcy, he could work with Whaley, and figured he, Terry, was the missing link. The force of his football expertise and personality and money was the only thing keeping the guys he retained from achieving Lombardi glory. Hire a football architect and get out of the way? Not Terry. Terry fashions himself czar. Hi Anna/Yuri!

Edited by pASabreFan

I think your statement that the fans have no control is the operative phrase of your post. (Fans theoretically control a lot, because they can vote with their wallets, and even multibillionaires get the message; but that's never going to happen in Buffalo again the way it did when Rich would have 19k in it on gameday; don't ask me what has changed in our society since then; I'm not that smart.)

But when one of the fans is the owner, there is complete control. That fan had better be looking at the forest and not the trees. How he didn't bomb that front office back to the stone age is so bizarre, even though we saw the same approach with the Sabres. The only thing I can come up with (Pegula fan bois stop here) is that Terry figured, like Darcy, he could work with Whaley, and figured he, Terry, was the missing link. The force of his football expertise and personality and money was the only thing keeping the guys he retained from achieving Lombardi glory. Hire a football architect and get out of the way? Not Terry. Terry fashions himself czar. Hi Anna/Yuri!

Maybe it's that both teams were coming off "frugal" owners, and Terry does believe that the people already in place will be fine given increased operating budgets. So not "Czar Terry", but "Czar Terry's wallet".

Edited by MattPie

Sometime next season, probably around the trade deadline. If we're still selling at next year's deadline instead of sitting around talking about potential 1st round matchups I'll be pretty disappointed. What will I do? Why, bitch on the internet, of course! 

Of course!

I know I just stop watching the games.  A night like tonight I would have already gone on to something else.. but tonight I go back up for the 2nd period!

You've taken the human side out of the equation and are treating each job positions as being filled by robots.

With Darcy, he is a good human being. Well liked and a good person. Respected around the league. Not admired around the league, but respected. Owner goes to jail, the next is cheap. Darcy never publicly threw anyone under the bus. You just don't buy a business and kick good people (they may not be the best at their job under current conditions) out the door before giving them a chance.

How many people on this board have been through an acquisition or merger?

Who'd think being fired is warranted given no chance with the new company when the 2 previous owners of the company you're working for are cheap and/or in jail?  

If Terry walked in and said *YOUR ALL FIRED, IT"S YOUR FAULT THIS BUSINESS NEVER SUCCEEDED*. Would you have more respect for Terry ? Would you have the same respect for a new owner of where you worked if he said that to you? 

Ditto for the Bills being run as Ralph wanted. 

I personally like Terry for trying, and in fact admire that he gives people a chance. It may be the more expensive route even. But to me, letting people hang themselves with the noose they made with their own two hands is ok, because your also giving them the chance to use their ropes to climb out of the holes dug by others. 

And I think the parenthetical above is the operative phrase of your post, especially the bolded. In the modern landscape, the fans (the Buffalo fans, anyway) are loyal, arguably to a fault. 

You've taken the human side out of the equation and are treating each job positions as being filled by robots.

<snip>

Good stuff. Really good stuff.

With Darcy, he is a good human being. Well liked and a good person. Respected around the league. Not admired around the league, but respected. Owner goes to jail, the next is cheap. Darcy never publicly threw anyone under the bus. You just don't buy a business and kick good people (they may not be the best at their job under current conditions) out the door before giving them a chance.

How many people on this board have been through an acquisition or merger?

Who'd think being fired is warranted given no chance with the new company when the 2 previous owners of the company you're working for are cheap and/or in jail?  

If Terry walked in and said *YOUR ALL FIRED, IT"S YOUR FAULT THIS BUSINESS NEVER SUCCEEDED*. Would you have more respect for Terry ? Would you have the same respect for a new owner of where you worked if he said that to you? 

Ditto for the Bills being run as Ralph wanted. 

I personally like Terry for trying, and in fact admire that he gives people a chance. It may be the more expensive route even. But to me, letting people hang themselves with the noose they made with their own two hands is ok, because your also giving them the chance to use their ropes to climb out of the holes dug by others. 

In how many fields are you "hired to be fired"? Sports is a special exception. These guys know they won't be around in 10 years. Darcy was really pushing the envelope. It would have been hard to feel bad for Darcy in 2011 if he had gotten fired. He deserved it. And for the record, under unethical and skinflint owners, he could have won two to three Cups. He wasn't that handcuffed that he needed yet another chance under Terry.

Here's what I'm curious about. If Terry decided to give Darcy a shot, why didn't he get five or seven years like GMTM almost certainly will get? Darcy was gone in two and a half years. Why the short rope? I'm still not sure what Darcy did wrong. The tank appeared to be right on track. I've always wondered if Darcy in essence quit and got a golden parachute from Terry.

In how many fields are you "hired to be fired"? Sports is a special exception. These guys know they won't be around in 10 years. Darcy was really pushing the envelope. It would have been hard to feel bad for Darcy in 2011 if he had gotten fired. He deserved it. And for the record, under unethical and skinflint owners, he could have won two to three Cups. He wasn't that handcuffed that he needed yet another chance under Terry.

Here's what I'm curious about. If Terry decided to give Darcy a shot, why didn't he get five or seven years like GMTM almost certainly will get? Darcy was gone in two and a half years. Why the short rope? I'm still not sure what Darcy did wrong. The tank appeared to be right on track. I've always wondered if Darcy in essence quit and got a golden parachute from Terry.

I don't think Darcy quit. I believe Terry was pressured by us(the fans), media, and the others loyal to Terry within the Sabres to make a change. I hope Darcy got something. I really hope he is happy now in Arizona.

I don't blame Darcy, nor give credit to him for the tank. I don't think he was the driving factor in it. There are/where others that have gone through the process that Terry brought in that I think lead us down that path. 

Edited by Woods-Racer

He waffled in an effort to save his own neck.

By waffled, do you mean he wasn't fully on board? 

That maybe Darcy didn't want to trade parts of *his* core (Miller, Stafford Myers...)?

Or that he waffled at the whole concept of tanking, and that tanking just didn't sit well with him on a moral level?

By waffled, do you mean he wasn't fully on board? 

That maybe Darcy didn't want to trade parts of *his* core (Miller, Stafford Myers...)?

Or that he waffled at the whole concept of tanking, and that tanking just didn't sit well with him on a moral level?

Yeah. We beat this dead horse into glue back in the day, in a number of threads. I don't care to cover that ground again. (No offence.)

I just figured I'd touche' on pA's drop of a "what did Darcy do wrong?" (Come to think of it: Didn't Pegula say that exact thing on GR once in 2011 or 2012? Hmmmm.)

Yeah. We beat this dead horse into glue back in the day, in a number of threads. I don't care to cover that ground again. (No offence.)

I just figured I'd touche' on pA's drop of a "what did Darcy do wrong?" (Come to think of it: Didn't Pegula say that exact thing on GR once in 2011 or 2012? Hmmmm.)

I don't want to beat the horse I was just wondering. Your usually more specific, which I understand know it was aimed at pA.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.