Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

I haven't watched a Dallas game in a couple years, but I knew who the top color guy would be the second I saw that list.  It's nice to know that some things haven't changed.

Daryl Reaugh (and his partner who left at the end of last season, Ralph Strangis) are the reason I actually watch the local NHL team.  I don't really care too much about the Stars, but Reaugh's calls just kind of pull me in.  He and Strangis put on a good show.  WIth Strangis's departure Dallas hired Dave Strader to do the play-by-play.  I consider him one of the best but he hasn't gelled with Reaugh yet.  The games are okay to watch but Reaugh and Strader aren't quite a team yet.

And RJ ranks...14th

FWIW, the Stars ranked #1 in both analyst and broadcaster

Absolutely.  But although they have the two best pieces, I'm not sure they are the best team yet.

I don't agree with the analysis on Mickey Redmond, at least not the one I knew back in the '90s when I lived in Detroit.  I can't believe they think Rob Ray is better than Redmond.  If they would have tempered it with a spin similar to what they said for RJ - that he was one of the best but is past his prime - I could see that.  When I lived there I loved to hear Redmond spin yarns about life as an NHL player "back in the day" and I always thought his knowledge of the current game was up to snuff.

Cool list, thanks. One of the most important aspect I see in an analyst/color commentator is knowing when to shut up. Brian Engblom is nauseating. He talks just to hear himself and he's full of the typical cliches and buzzwords. Potvin talks way too much as well. It sounds like he's usually half in the bag by the time the game starts, and if he finds something that bugs him he just rambles on and on. In Potvin's defense, he has great hockey knowledge; he's great to listen to when he does interviews on radio shows.

I agree Potvin knows his stuff, but I think Potvin is a psychopath. He beat his wife and he was a stock-broker. And you are so right about when something bothers him. A few years ago I was watching a game where he completely lost his mind about a "bad" call. He started acting like a petulant 9-year old, and stopped commenting on the game except for drippingly sarcastic remarks about how every subsequent call/non-call was ridiculous. Then he just got so disgusted that he stopped talking altogether for minutes. He left the poor play-by-play guy all on his own. It was so awkward for the play-by-play guy I was probably blushing. I was actually surprised he didn't get canned for that. I would have fired him for that (unless he knew my address). Edited by BagBoy

I agree Potvin knows his stuff, but I think Potvin is a psychopath. He beat his wife and he was a stock-broker. And you are so right about when something bothers him. A few years ago I was watching a game where he completely lost his mind about a "bad" call. He started acting like a petulant 9-year old, and stopped commenting on the game except for drippingly sarcastic remarks about how every subsequent call/non-call was ridiculous. Then he just got so disgusted that he stopped talking altogether for minutes. He left the poor play-by-play guy all on his own. It was so awkward for the play-by-play guy I was probably blushing. I was actually surprised he didn't get canned for that. I would have fired him for that (unless he knew my address).

Yeah, he's done that on a few occasions. Randy Moller has been doing radio for many years, this year he got moved to TV and I hoped he was going to take over for Denis. Instead they stuck Moller down on the ice and Denis stayed in the booth.

I like Ray.  RJ seems to not only like Ray but is having fun with him around and it leads to some good banter. Maybe people that don't like Ray want a more fancy stat type. I like my fancy stat types during intermission and only for short periods of time. I'm watching for enjoyment and not for betting or fantasy playing and the fancy stat'ers take away from watching the game by making it more like a work environment.

The Preds just smoked Anaheim 5-1 to go to 6-1 on the season.  Got the Pens in town on Saturday (I'll be at that game).

Hodgson was scratched on Tuesday and got the least ice time of any of the Preds tonight.  He may be out of the league before long if he doesn't learn to play defense.

The Preds just smoked Anaheim 5-1 to go to 6-1 on the season. Got the Pens in town on Saturday (I'll be at that game).

Hodgson was scratched on Tuesday and got the least ice time of any of the Preds tonight. He may be out of the league before long if he doesn't learn to play defense.

Was the Ducks' goal scored by a defenseman? And either way, what is wrong with their forwards?

Was the Ducks' goal scored by a defenseman? And either way, what is wrong with their forwards?

Jiri Sekac got the goal.  The Perry Getzlaf line looked dangerous, but Weber, Josi, Jones and Matty Ekholm did a good job shutting them down 5-on5.

Khudobin wasn't good.  He gave up at least one fairly soft goal.

I know he's mostly disliked around here, but did anyone see Vanek's game winner from last night?  I'm not a huge fan of his, but I must admit it was perfectly executed.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25350272/blue-jackets-lose-eighth-straight-in-tortorellas-debut-3-things-to-know

he's among the best in the game at that technique. while he was with the sabres, there were times i felt he relied on that move too much.

he's among the best in the game at that technique. while he was with the sabres, there were times i felt he relied on that move too much.

Semantics, I suppose, but why not rely on something you're really good at? Vanek had ungodly talent and, had he stayed, surely would have ended with career numbers in Buffalo that easily would have qualified him for number retirement status (damning with faint praise in Buffalo). He could have been one of the all time greats. People didn't hate him for his talent, they hated his body language, his attitude, his Vanek Face. He wasn't rah rah and wasn't going to be a leader, or be physical... a near death-sentence in Buffalo, where everyone gets up early, grabs their lunch pail and walks uphill both ways to work at the factory.