Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Eichel has a better defensive game throughout his career--his size/strength combo and reach (especially with the long stick) are natural advantages in that area, all else equal. He may even end up with more goals, but I'd be awfully surprised if his total offensive production was equal or greater.

Agree. I was hopeful at first that we got the better player, but McJesus has been incredible offensively lately.  I think he's adjusted to the NHL now.

Edmonton, as a team, has a little bit of a head start in their "rebuild" than we have. I'm sure Eichel's numbers would be better in this many games in that environment.

He'd at least have a few assists :lol:

Seriously, it blows my mind he doesn't have a single assist with all of the beautiful setups he's made.

McDavid's east-west movement is ridiculous: http://vine.co/v/eY6tLLZi9Ih

I mean - just. Holy crap.

GMTM was right to be pissed about not winning the lottery.  That said, I think Eichel will bring things McJesus won't.

Yep, and yep.

Edmonton, as a team, has a little bit of a head start in their "rebuild" than we have. I'm sure Eichel's numbers would be better in this many games in that environment.

This is more than fair. My youngest (elementary school aged) even theorized as much when I related to him that McDavid was blowing it up out west. Without even knowing as much, he speculated that Edmonton probably has better finishers than Buffalo. It's true. There is a ton of top-6 quality on that team.

He'd at least have a few assists :lol:

Seriously, it blows my mind he doesn't have a single assist with all of the beautiful setups he's made.

Honest to God.

Yeah, and the sentiment that he'll take longer to adjust.  Kid is showing that he was the undisputed #1 overall.

In truth, it's just fun that he's so good. I'm both relieved and sorta bummed that he's way out west.

That was a fan card violation right there.

Disagree.

I've typed it here before: I don't hate the Leafs. I enjoy having them as a spirited rival, but I don't hate them. I watched too much HNIC on the snowy b&w tee-vee when the Leafs were in the western conference, of all places (so they could hang with Detroit, I guess). I just don't, can't hate them.

Also, there was part of me that just wanted to *see* the kid play.

But, like I said: I'm now glad we avoided him. At least for the foreseeable future.

Disagree.

I've typed it here before: I don't hate the Leafs. I enjoy having them as a spirited rival, but I don't hate them. I watched too much HNIC on the snowy b&w tee-vee when the Leafs were in the western conference, of all places (so they could hang with Detroit, I guess). I just don't, can't hate them.

Nice beatdown.  :beer:

Disagree.

I'm guessing you haven't been to a Leafs / Sabres game in awhile.  Leafs fans are idiots.

I'm guessing you haven't been to a Leafs / Sabres game in awhile.  Leafs fans are idiots.

I've been to many. My favourite, by far, was the one where this happened (and I had a perfect view of it):

But I hear what you're saying - loud and clear. That's a valid criticism. 

I almost typed something about how there are aspects of the Leafs that I have grown to detest -- the organization's overall arrogance, the home crowd's disaffected corporate vibe, the hooliganism of the traveling fans. But I relented.

Edit: When you get old, a game that happened 16 years ago counts as "recent."

So are Yankees fans.

(How many of you idiots like the Yankees?)

I'm an idiot and I don't like the Yankee's or the Leafs.  :nana:

But I will stick by what the intent of BagBoys post.  The game time ambiance of FNC while playing the Leafs is not a good one for  hockey fans in general.

I'm an idiot and I don't like the Yankee's or the Leafs.  :nana:

But I will stick by what the intent of BagBoys post.  The game time ambiance of FNC while playing the Leafs is not a good one for  hockey fans in general.

And what do they say about us down in Raleigh?

And what do they say about us down in Raleigh?

Uhh, that there's no way to win a baby baby back rib contest if ya'll are goin' against someone from Buffalo? :unsure:

(And yes, ya'll is a stupid way of contracting you & all, but that way dominates the more sensible y'all spelling for it for some non-readily apparent reason.)

Hide the Babies the Sabres are playing tonight?

But to be honest, I believe hockey fans out side of the playoff's to be more laid back and even keeled than most other fans. My experience, even Philly fans who are not known for brotherly love, where good to be around the last few years at a game. Chicago fans where a pleasure. Toronto fans , the least pleasant.

When I go to an opposing team's barn, which is very rare and in Florida usually (Pittsburgh once), can't say as I thought those in Sabres gear where obnoxious. 

Never been to NC for a game.

Edited by Woods-Racer

I think I hate NHL on NBC.  The announcing is horrible and the color is worse.  I know everyone wants to suck Doc Emerick's dick, but the guy isn't very good at all.  He tells stories during play, he loses focus, and he concentrates on stars rather than on who has the puck.  (The last might be an NBC mandate, I don't know.)  

The overall product is horrible.

I just now heard him refer to some player--I don't know whom--as a San Francisco Giants fan.  DURING PLAY.  Gah.

I once felt bitter and put out, much like you.  Then I discovered the Leggio impersonation of McGuire.  Now I can't listen to a broadcast with ol' Pierre without cracking a grin.

...and then there's Pierre McGuire....

Emrick is still awful though.

Oh. Drinking helps too.

Sidney Crosby has been held pointless in 8 of 9 games this year. He doesn't look as fast and his hand-eye isn't what I remember it. He's only what, 28? What's going on?

Cut back on the coke use, obviously.

I haven't watched a single second of Pittsburgh hockey this season, but I remember reading he and Kessel were having chemistry issues (like Eichel and Kane both wanting the puck)...although I'm not sure that can fully explain the scoring drought. Maybe he's slowing down? The scoring curve would tell us late 20s is where the offense starts to go, but truly elite players tend to be able to defy that. Bad puck luck, small sample? I dunno, but I'm intrigued.