Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Talked to a couple of ladies and they said those who know me know that I didn't mean to put down females in general but perhaps in the context it could be construed as such. Therefore, Sam Reinhart needs to stop playing like a weak turd monger. 

LGR the people for the ethical treatment of turd mongers just called...

I'll do anything to get Kane off this roster. He's Drew Stafford 2.0.

How did we, in the collective sense and not you exclusively, go from Evander Kane is exactly the player the Sabres need, to him being Drew Stafford 2.0?

And I disagree that he is Drew Stafford 2.0.

How did we, in the collective sense and not you exclusively, go from Evander Kane is exactly the player the Sabres need, to him being Drew Stafford 2.0?

I think the idea of Kane is exactly who the Sabres need; strong, fast, scoring winger, little more edge than most of the guys on the top two lines. Unfortunetely what he IS is a strong, fast, winger who can barely get a puck ON net much less score when he has a chance. I like the talents he has, but if you can't score you don't belong on my top 2 lines. And if Kane doesn't belong on the top two lines he's too expensive an asset to me.

He's totally Drew 2.0. Capable of doing 75% of his job, shows infuriating flashes of greatness, but is ultimately incapable of consistently achieving that little extra output that would push him from useless to useful. 

Kane needs to score. It's the only thing he's here to do. And he can't do it. He can't even get the puck on net. He's like that kid from Mighty Ducks who can do everything great except stop. 

I think the idea of Kane is exactly who the Sabres need; strong, fast, scoring winger, little more edge than most of the guys on the top two lines. Unfortunetely what he IS is a strong, fast, winger who can barely get a puck ON net much less score when he has a chance. I like the talents he has, but if you can't score you don't belong on my top 2 lines. And if Kane doesn't belong on the top two lines he's too expensive an asset to me.

Exactly, the team is currently a collection of skills that in theory and when healthy should be pretty good. Unfortunately, some of these players are far too inconsistent in delivering these skills that it makes it impossible to perform consistently on a nightly basis. 

Kane shows the ability to do basically everything that we had hoped, he just seems to have no ability to develop any chemistry with any players on the team. He plays like a lone wolf, the kind of kid that is so good in peewees that he can just do it all himself. That works at lower levels but at the NHL level, you need to utilize your teammates and passing concepts to be successful.

Perfect. We've got another Concept of Kassian. It's the Concept of Kane: A power forward who can score and play on the top 2 lines. 

Instead we've got a guy with a shot that at this point might not even be 4th line worthy. 

I watched Kane yesterday, and time after time he passed the puck unsuccessfully or he took a low percentage shot.  He's fast, but there's nothing above the shoulders to take advantage of that speed.

I think he can still be a productive member of the team, but it will take the right line combination.  I think he's good on the penalty kill where speed and disruptiveness is all you need.  If he's set up correctly, he can be a PP asset, but a handful of other players can do that role (and Moulson is actually doing it at the moment).  I think the right line combination is basically players that can learn, and adjust to, his limited style of play.  This is where we're missing our top two centers.  Either of them can do those adjustments.  Samson's too busy learning the center position at the NHL level to worry about someone else's shortcomings.

Given all that... if we could move the guy, I would do it and never think twice.  I bet at this point the plan is put him on the best line possible, demonstrate he can score, and ship him out for draft picks or a D prospect.

If benning makes this trade he should be given the old yeller treatment.

a nice pat on the head and a scratch behind the ears?  :angel:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.