Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

From Friedman's 30 thoughts

5. When Evander Kane returned to the lineup last week against Ottawa, attendance was high in the scouting section. Sometimes that happens when there’s a light schedule — there were only three games that night, so turnout is higher than normal. But there’s little doubt Kane will be watched closely, because the Sabres are willing to move him. So far, there hasn’t been an offer worth getting excited about, so unless Buffalo wants to do this for pennies on the dollar, it’s a waiting game.

6. Vancouver’s interest is well-known, but, again, I don’t think the Canucks have offered much. The Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo has reported the Wild’s interest. The two GMs — Chuck Fletcher and Tim Murray — are tight. I’m not comfortable being on a different side than the incredibly plugged-in Russo, but I’m getting denials on that one. I do think Minnesota is looking to add a forward, though.

I would give up one of my livers to see Kane get traded for most of the proposals in here.

His value is incredibly low. Tanev is not much different from Larsson, who got Taylor freaking Hall. It would take an epic bad decision from a guy who only makes pretty bad decisions in Vancouver to get something like that. Kane for a pick and a salary dump is what I see as possible. 

And Virtanen is not good, I really don't want him.

BobMacKenzie saying the name he's heard possibly coming back from the canucks is Hutton ? Young D. Don't know much about him. Take it for what its worth. Heard this in an interview on 1040am out of Van this morning.

Upgrade for our 3rd pair. Put differently, if we move Kane for Hutton, then Murray really wants to cut bait.

Yeah maybe just a piece in a multi player deal ?

Maybe, but I just don't see how we can get multiple pieces in return for Kane right now. Only 35 points last year, 1 point in 6 games this year, the injuries, the off-ice stuff...it all adds up.

Fun (see: depressing) fact: Since the start of last season, Brian Gionta has more points than Evander Kane.

Maybe, but I just don't see how we can get multiple pieces in return for Kane right now. Only 35 points last year, 1 point in 6 games this year, the injuries, the off-ice stuff...it all adds up.

Fun (see: depressing) fact: Since the start of last season, Brian Gionta has more points than Evander Kane.

He really has in hindsight turned into a bad gamble for GMTM. Little to no return on the investment.

Kane + what for Hutton? Certainly not a one for one trade in my opinion.

Because of the finances, I think Sbisa would also be on the docket. So Kane and One of the kid wingers (Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching) for Hutton and Sbisa? Maybe throw is Nelson as they are minus 2 D.

Does it seem strange to anyone else that a team would look to the Sabres for scoring help?

OR that they think Evander is that guy?

Because of the finances, I think Sbisa would also be on the docket. So Kane and One of the kid wingers (Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching) for Hutton and Sbisa? Maybe throw is Nelson as they are minus 2 D.

OR that they think Evander is that guy?

That would be a loss for Buffalo, Sbisa is a garbage defenseman and Hutton while potentially good has proven very little.  I would have no interest whatsoever in trading Nelson,and winger and Kane for that.....

That would be a loss for Buffalo, Sbisa is a garbage defenseman and Hutton while potentially good has proven very little. I would have no interest whatsoever in trading Nelson,and winger and Kane for that.....

Nelson is garbage and Kane is a fading star. Sbisa is only included because he needs to be to make the dollars work. I think you are overvaluing our guys and undervalue their young players.

I'd rather have Sbisa as a 7th over Nelson.

Edited by inkman

That would be a loss for Buffalo, Sbisa is a garbage defenseman and Hutton while potentially good has proven very little.  I would have no interest whatsoever in trading Nelson,and winger and Kane for that.....

Hutton had the second most assists last year (25) for a defender and is mobile or projected to be a guy who can drive offence. Has potential according to BMac but all our guys have potential too. It'd be nice if some of our prospects panned out as stars for once. Kind of tired of hearing about the potential of our young guys. Its been going on for about 40 years for myself. 

Yea. I'm not mad he made the deal--I want my GM taking that swing. But it'd take a pretty significant turnaround from both Kane and Bogosian to make it anything other than a bust.

I don't know the trade was a bust but I'll give a few of my thoughts on Kane.  His game isn't fundamentally sound enough to be relied on for top 6 play.  Ideally we need one more speed offensive player with excellent puck handling to enter our top 6 to move Kane to the 3rd line.  IMO that would allow his style to not only be tolerable but if he gives you 15-20 goals it can elevate the team.  IMO that's the perfect role for Kane - to be on a team good enough to get him to the 3rd line.  The issue is I don't see Kane as being satisfied with that role and would probably cause his effort to diminish at best and at worst cause team problems. 

I like Kane and he's the type of player I want on the team when it's somewhat complete especially considering his age.  However his salary and I think his self evaluation will stop that from happening.  In saying that,  I would make any attempt to trade him for the sole reason that I don't want his game in the top 6.

I don't know the trade was a bust but I'll give a few of my thoughts on Kane.  His game isn't fundamentally sound enough to be relied on for top 6 play.  Ideally we need one more speed offensive player with excellent puck handling to enter our top 6 to move Kane to the 3rd line.  IMO that would allow his style to not only be tolerable but if he gives you 15-20 goals it can elevate the team.  IMO that's the perfect role for Kane - to be on a team good enough to get him to the 3rd line.  The issue is I don't see Kane as being satisfied with that role and would probably cause his effort to diminish at best and at worst cause team problems. 

I like Kane and he's the type of player I want on the team when it's somewhat complete especially considering his age.  However his salary and I think his self evaluation will stop that from happening.  In saying that,  I would make any attempt to trade him for the sole reason that I don't want his game in the top 6.

I agree with this, but being realistic: there is no way Bylsma is putting Kane anywhere but with O'Reilly or Eichel. Just isn't happening.

I agree with this, but being realistic: there is no way Bylsma is putting Kane anywhere but with O'Reilly or Eichel. Just isn't happening.

Sure and the way this team is structured now - that's where he should be.  Simply because there's limited options (I know you know). 

Problem with Kane is he's a guy that likes to have the puck - but in order to be the type of player with the puck you must be an excellent passer or have puck handling skills that overrides defenses ability to take it from you (keep away handling).  He's not either.

He really should fall in love with not having the puck but he's not a fundamental player.  He plays faster than he's capable of controlling so he doesn't see the rink well enough to be in the right spot - for a better puck handler/passer to set him up. 

I love Kane's "go".  He goes 100 miles per hour and digs and lets see what happens.  He's the perfect 3rd line type of player that has enough skating skills to really add to the scoring in the middle of the lineup.  Too bad that role will never be realized here and he's just good enough for the money to not let a team afford to have him there.

Nelson is garbage and Kane is a fading star. Sbisa is only included because he needs to be to make the dollars work. I think you are overvaluing our guys and undervalue their young players.

I'd rather have Sbisa as a 7th over Nelson.

Replace the young winger with a 3rd/4th and its far less insane. Actually pretty good. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.