Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Okposo wouldn't be a bad pick up at the right price, put him with Moulson and Eichel and you'd essentially be just reforming the 1st line of the Isles.

Moulson - Eichel - Okposo

Kane - Reinhart - Ennis

Foligno - Girgensons - Gionta

Can lean heavily on the Girgensons line at the start of the year to shelter the kids. I'm sure it would take a while for this lineup to gel and mature, but it would be exciting to watch and should get stronger as the year goes on, leading into next.

I wonder what we would have to part with to land Okposo.

21 and Grigorenko? 21, 51, and Grigorenko? Do we want to make those deals?

I'm doing it for 21 and Grigorenko for sure I think.

My mom had a detached retina and made a full recovery. Unfortunately she now walks with a limp but thats besides the point. She can't skate.

Sounds like he'll have no issues with the eye. The trick with a detached retina is getting to a doctor quickly in order to save the vision. By all accounts his vision is fine. 

Moulson - Eichel - Okposo

Kane - Reinhart - Ennis

Foligno - Girgensons - Gionta

Can lean heavily on the Girgensons line at the start of the year to shelter the kids. I'm sure it would take a while for this lineup to gel and mature, but it would be exciting to watch and should get stronger as the year goes on, leading into next.

I wonder what we would have to part with to land Okposo.

21 and Grigorenko? 21, 51, and Grigorenko? Do we want to make those deals?

I'm doing it for 21 and Grigorenko for sure I think.

I think Grigs has little trade value at this point. Maybe just north of Hodgsons worth, which is nothing.

I think Grigs has little trade value at this point. Maybe just north of Hodgsons worth, which is nothing.

Yeah, that seems about right. Not sure why people keep putting his name down as a centerpiece of big deals? Other then they don't value Grigo much either, and think they can get some gold by sending our trash the other way?

Yeah, that seems about right. Not sure why people keep putting his name down as a centerpiece of big deals? Other then they don't value Grigo much either, and think they can get some gold by sending our trash the other way?

Fair enough. I think he can add a bit of value to a trade, but definitely not as the centerpiece.

I do think though that our 2nd first round pick and 2nd second rounder will hold particular value to the Isles though, seeing as how those were both originally their picks, and if I'm not mistaken, they have no picks in the first 2 rounds this year, at this point.

If you trade for Okposo, the pominville trade will be an example of how much you'd have to give.

#21 #31 + grigorenko (who'd replace larsson in the pominville trade) would be enough.   Only difference is who wants a 21yr old with an expired elc that you can't send down like we could with larsson.

Grigorenko is unmoveable, he'll end up a year in the KHL for sure.

edit:  Not even sure we got a 2nd round pick for pominville anymore.

Edited by Heimdall

I really am meh on Okposo.  He's an alright player, but is he worth what it will take to get him here.  Eh, I don't think so.  He's a good finisher on the rush and fits JT91 pretty well like  Moulson did.  But, on his own, I don't know that he's that amazing. 

If you trade for Okposo, the pominville trade will be an example of how much you'd have to give.

#21 #31 + grigorenko (who'd replace larsson in the pominville trade) would be enough.   Only difference is who wants a 21yr old with an expired elc that you can't send down like we could with larsson.

Grigorenko is unmoveable, he'll end up a year in the KHL for sure.

edit:  Not even sure we got a 2nd round pick for pominville anymore.

I wouldn't pay that price for Okposo. 

If the Sabres are looking to make a major impact i would prefer they take a run at a Brandon Saad. The guy has done it in the regular season and the playoffs. He is exactly the type of player at the perfect age the Sabres should be targeting. I would make a significant RFA offer or try to work out a deal with the Hawks. I'd rather see Saad than O'Reilly in the blue and gold.  

Edited by DeLuca1967

Grigo is still worth something solely due to his potential and the egos of GMs being they can fix him.

Grigo, 31, and 51 would be my initial offer for Okposo

I don't get the impression most GM's or hockey people think that Grigorenko is broken.  A 12th overall, 6'3" center with outstanding faceoff ability and a great shot, I would guess Murray gets some calls about him.  Grigorenko is a good commodity to have.

Canucks gave up a 2nd-rounder for Sven Baertschi at the deadline because they believed he still had top-six potential.

Some GMs may not like Grigorenko at all. Others will think he will flourish for them. He has value.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=120612

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=143915

I don't get the impression most GM's or hockey people think that Grigorenko is broken.  A 12th overall, 6'3" center with outstanding faceoff ability and a great shot, I would guess Murray gets some calls about him.  Grigorenko is a good commodity to have.

Isn't Grigo still ranked in the top-100 prospects in most places?

his faceoff ability is one of the main reasons i don't want him gone, don't know much about eichel, but reinhart , larsson, girgensons aren't so good in that department.

Having someone who can take critical defensive zone faceoffs would be nice.

Pardon me if this is discussed in the preceding 12 pages.  Wyshynski speculated (in a blog post that I seem only to be able to find on my phone) that the Rags would trade Tolbot and Klein for a low first or a high second.  I trade #31 for that all day and every day.

his faceoff ability is one of the main reasons i don't want him gone, don't know much about eichel, but reinhart , larsson, girgensons aren't so good in that department.

Having someone who can take critical defensive zone faceoffs would be nice.

Reinhart projects to be very good in the face-off dot. He was taking all the key draws at the WJC this year, including those in his own zone in the final minutes of the Gold Medal game.

Edited by Thorny

I think trading for John Gibson this summer is a pipe dream, though. The Ducks don't need to move any of their two goalies until next summer since both have contracts for next season. I think the only way the Ducks move one of them this summer is if they get blown away with an offer, and no way GMTM is blowing anyone out for a goaltender.

Don't doubt it, that's why I said that would be my dream scenario. I'm going for an American franchise center, head coach and starting future goalie.

Work with me here...who else is American that fits that mold as a goalie? Hellebuyck?

Trading for a player like Okposo would not be something that falls under the distinction of "too soon". He is 27 years old, easily young enough to grow with our young core. He also fills a position of need, RW. He is also a very talented player with some grit. Why wouldn't we want a guy like that on Eichel's wing? We need some talented veteran players to play with our youth, can't jut trot out a team of kids.

I don't understand this. "Too soon," for what? He is 27 years old, not 35. Trading for a Shane Doan or Dustin Brown is "too soon," not Kyle Okposo.

(Sorry, misread your post, but others have said IT IS "too soon," for a 27-28 year old player...and I don't get it.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

The NHL’s trade market could break open well before Toronto decides what to do with Kessel or Phaneuf. Edmonton, Buffalo and San Jose are hot for Rangers’ backup goaltender Cam Talbot. A Talbot trade could set off a domino effect on a teeming goalie market.

The Senators are shopping one of Robin Lehner or Craig Anderson and Dallas starter Kari Lehtonen is available. Calgary is willing to move Jonas Hiller. One of Eddie Lack or Jacob Markstrom is likely leaving Vancouver. Plus, the Ducks (John Gibson) and the Kings (Martin Jones) are toying with the idea of moving their backups.

Don't doubt it, that's why I said that would be my dream scenario. I'm going for an American franchise center, head coach and starting future goalie.

Work with me here...who else is American that fits that mold as a goalie? Hellebuyck?

I don't understand this. "Too soon," for what? He is 27 years old, not 35. Trading for a Shane Doan or Dustin Brown is "too soon," not Kyle Okposo.

(Sorry, misread your post, but others have said IT IS "too soon," for a 27-28 year old player...and I don't get it.)

I can only speak for myself, but it's probably because the team isn't expected to seriously contend for at least 2 or 3 years and by then players in that age bracket would be 30 or approaching 30 and starting to decline in production.

Forwards seem to hit peak point production in their early to mid 20's then plateau for a few seasons before their production starts to decline around 30.

This team already has veterans in Gionta, Moulson, and Gorges and several younger veterans on Ennis, Bogosian, Weber, and Kane with several years of experience each. I'd prefer to see what we have in our youth rather than to ship off promising young players in exchange for guys who have likely already had their best seasons.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.