Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

The original post suggested that it would lead to change which would suggest someone thinks it's not worth it. I think the Blackhawks have shown the way to navigate during the cap era. Obviously at some point they might have to make a hard decision with their stars but it looks like it is still years away.

Well, they've shown how to navigate when you inherit a team with three hall of fame level players anyway.  I guess the real question should be how you get to that point in the first place.  I don't think there's any specific template for success in the cap era given that the rules seem to be re-written every five years or so after the each round of CBA changes.

Well, they've shown how to navigate when you inherit a team with three hall of fame level players anyway.  I guess the real question should be how you get to that point in the first place.  I don't think there's any specific template for success in the cap era given that the rules seem to be re-written every five years or so after the each round of CBA changes.

I count 4 -- Toews, Kane, Hossa and Keith -- although arguably Hossa was proactively acquired, not inherited.

I count 4 -- Toews, Kane, Hossa and Keith -- although arguably Hossa was proactively acquired, not inherited.

I knew someone would mention him.  You even gave my already prepared answer for me.  Nice work.  I forget the exact time line with Tallon/Bowman, but Hossa was signed by Bowman, right?

I knew someone would mention him. You even gave my already prepared answer for me. Nice work. I forget the exact time line with Tallon/Bowman, but Hossa was signed by Bowman, right?

Nope. Hossa was Tallon's last move.

Dreger: Cam Talbot is a hot commodity. Edmtn, Cgy, SJ, Dallas + Florida have expressed interest. Multiple trade offers. First 3 most likely targets.

We're not on that list. Probably a good thing if there's a bidding war going on.

The reason I favour Lehner is that he is the only goalie of all those available that fits our age group and has a chance to grow with the team (assuming the reports of a Jones signing being imminent).

I'd rather draft Samsonov at 31 than trade that pick for Talbot or Lack.

I agree with both...but it would probably be Blackwood or Vlader at 31, Samsonov will most likely go in the first round, one way or another.

Plus, Murray knows and likes Lehner, as I have shared (quotes) before...I think he's my favorite, as well.

Dreger: Cam Talbot is a hot commodity. Edmtn, Cgy, SJ, Dallas + Florida have expressed interest. Multiple trade offers. First 3 most likely targets.

We're not on that list. Probably a good thing if there's a bidding war going on.

Lehner is the only available goalie that fits what Murray said he is looking for in a trade.

And Lack/Markstrom. Murray has said that he doesn't care about the age of a goalie. Interested in a wide range there.

Markstrom, yes. Lack is stretching it at 27.

He said he is open to whatever works, but as far as a trade goes, he said he was interested in younger guys.

I was glad when they asked him about being better next year, his immediate reaction was about finding a goalie. 

He said he is open to whatever works, but as far as a trade goes, he said he was interested in younger guys.

I was glad when they asked him about being better next year, his immediate reaction was about finding a goalie.

He very clearly stated that he wouldn't even mind acquiring a 30+ year old goalie. I think it's safe to say 27 is also a consideration. Said he is open to anything at the position. And 27 isn't even old anyways.

Yep. People have been mentioning Talbot for weeks/months, and he's about to be 28.

He's too old. Dreger must be lying:

Should add Buffalo to the list of teams chasing Cam Talbot. Edmtn, Buf, SJ pretty eager. Dal, Fla and Cgy have some interest as well.

My guess is we have one of Talbot, Lehner or Lack by the end of draft day. One of those three will start. Then Johnson or another backup will be signed.

Edited by Hoss

He said youngish, I think he'd be fine with someone around 27-28.

"I've talked to 5 teams about goalies that they have, we've got a list of free agent goalies. So the basic plan is we have to get a goalie, that's for sure. But it's always a moving plan, and i've said that all along, but we would love to trade for a goalie...we would love to trade for a youngish goalie. If that doesn't work, we would trade for a real good short term goalie, who's older. If we could sign the best or 2nd best free agent goalie we'd be happy with that too. So you're working it every day and you're trying to find out, first the goalies that are available via trade, what the price is, and can you afford that price, and at the end of the day if you can't then you have to move on to plan B."

Edited by Lanny

If Van is looking to deal Lack, probably means Markstrom isn't available, but he's always been interesting to me. He was supposed to be the next great goaltender and has had outstanding numbers in the AHL, but for whatever reason he's been unable to transition to the NHL. Jonathan Willis had an article awhile back how he'd be a low cost high reward acquisition for some team with a goalie hole.

If Van is looking to deal Lack, probably means Markstrom isn't available, but he's always been interesting to me. He was supposed to be the next great goaltender and has had outstanding numbers in the AHL, but for whatever reason he's been unable to transition to the NHL. Jonathan Willis had an article awhile back how he'd be a low cost high reward acquisition for some team with a goalie hole.

Markstrom is my second choice after Lehner.

Canucks did a lot of work with him this year and he was outstanding in Utica. Benning said he and Lack are both being shopped.

But obviously they are only trading one and Lack is a UFA next year. Miller passing the torch to Markstrom seems to be Benning's preferred plan.

@stevezipay: A Cam Talbot trade could get them a second-rounder, plus, we're hearing

Rangers Beat Reporter

Talbot apparently has the most demand and might be the priciest and the first shoe to drop.

Lack and Lehner will follow and the team(s) left over will take their pick from Neuvirth, Niemi, Ramo, Dubnyk, etc.

More goalies than openings so we will likely get one of the above and I doubt we will have to pay much.

Edited by dudacek

@DaveDavisHockey: The insider consensus is that the Oilers are on a mission and will outbid everybody.

Re Talbot

Does this mean they are willing to part with 16 to get him?

New GM, same old Oiler's (i.e. poor decisions). No way is Talbot worth 16

I could be wrong but I think its Ed Willis

Not sure how I double quoted you :blush:

Edited by bunomatic

Prices paid for Stanley Cup-winning goaltenders:

2015: Corey Crawford - 2003 2nd round pick (53rd overall by CHI)

2014: Jonathan Quick - 2005 3rd round pick (72nd overall by LA)

2013: Corey Crawford - 2003 2nd round pick (53rd overall by CHI)

2012: Jonathan Quick - 2005 3rd round pick (72nd overall by LA)

2011: Tim Thomas - 2005 free agent signing

2010: Antti Niemi - 2008 undrafted free agent

2009: Marc-Andre Fleury - 2003 1st round pick (1st overall)

2008: Chris Osgood - 2005 free agent signing

2007: JS Giguere - acquired for a 2000 2nd round pick

2006: Cam Ward - 2002 first round pick (22n overall by CAR)

2005: Nikolai Khabibulin - acquire for three players and a 2nd round pick

2004: Martin Brodeur - 1990 first round pick (20th overall by NJ)

Thomas, Niemi and Osgood are the only from that list that weren't acquired using at least a 3rd round pick. I disagree with this sudden assertion that goalies come from a magical land in the country of LateRoundPicktopia. I understand an argument that says getting one right now for a 2nd might be early on the timeline of success, but I think it's important to get somebody competent in there right now. Build some confidence in the kids that will be here for the next forever. The sooner the better on a good goalie. I'm 100% willing to spend a 2nd round pick on a goalie. And more. Get one Timmy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.