Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

I hope I'm wrong but I'm firmly in the camp that doesn't think there's really going to be much trade action. There just about never is. Two or three notable trades and that's about it. Every offseason kicks off with crazy rumors and tons of talks. The insiders make their names and then back off as the time for these reported deals actually comes up.

I've already seen a few backtracking saying that they won't be surprised to see certain guys stick around. And the ever popular "if they don't get what they want they'll bring them into camp."

We shall see. I'm not expecting the avalanche of deals that the insiders were talking about early.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm firmly in the camp that doesn't think there's really going to be much trade action. There just about never is. Two or three notable trades and that's about it. Every offseason kicks off with crazy rumors and tons of talks. The insiders make their names and then back off as the time for these reported deals actually comes up.

I've already seen a few backtracking saying that they won't be surprised to see certain guys stick around. And the ever popular "if they don't get what they want they'll bring them into camp."

We shall see. I'm not expecting the avalanche of deals that the insiders were talking about early.

Most GMs seem to be closer to the Regier mindset than the Murray mindset. Value, value, value.

In your opinion is that common practice? The insiders making their name that is? Maybe sensationalizing something they've heard? Would they make something up all together? It would change how I receive info if that's the case.

In your opinion is that common practice? The insiders making their name that is? Maybe sensationalizing something they've heard? Would they make something up all together? It would change how I receive info if that's the case.

I think insiders do that, but I also think they get used a load. I think they are fed a TON of information during the finals/early in the offseason. Teams/agents want to get their players' names out there. Then they wait around. If they aren't getting the calls they want then they put it out there that those players may not be as available as originally thought in the hopes that those calls start becoming more serious.

But most of the time these heavy rumors turn into duds.

Is LIger ever going to have more value than he has right now?

His posts per weeks on the board is through the roof - he's kinda like a young Chz in terms of production.

His compete is Latvian-level. He's even earned the respect of veterans like Taro.

And he's got term on his contract at a reasonable cap hit.

I think we could get two top-six posters from Hockey's future, plus our pick of the post-eichel bandwagonners.

The Tank is over. Let's accelerate the rebuild with a big deal.

SDS needs to set the market here, strike while the iron is hot.

Not sure what you're aiming for as a point, here, but Regier pulled off trades like a champ. 

He did have some beauts but I think everyone would agree he was cautious to a fault. Murray is the gunslinger to Regiers general store clerk. I take Murray any day and all day.

I can only speak for myself, but it's probably because the team isn't expected to seriously contend for at least 2 or 3 years and by then players in that age bracket would be 30 or approaching 30 and starting to decline in production.

Forwards seem to hit peak point production in their early to mid 20's then plateau for a few seasons before their production starts to decline around 30.

This team already has veterans in Gionta, Moulson, and Gorges and several younger veterans on Ennis, Bogosian, Weber, and Kane with several years of experience each. I'd prefer to see what we have in our youth rather than to ship off promising young players in exchange for guys who have likely already had their best seasons.

In my mind, I'm thinking that getting a guy like Okposo to play top 6 minutes would help accelerate the rebuild to the point where with a few other additions, we would be a competitive team while Kyle Okposo is still in his 20s. He will provide much needed skill from the RW and help to insulate the kids. I am all for playing the kids, which we will be doing, but playing them with scoring talent will add to their development.

Also, NHL players frequently put up very good numbers well into their 30s. There often is not a sharp decline. 5 of the top 20 scorers in the regular season this year were 30 or older, with Getzlaf just missing.

Not sure what you're aiming for as a point, here, but Regier pulled off trades like a champ.

I only meant he was risk-averse with trading, and I think that's common among GMs, which leads to a lot more talk than action, especially with big deals. GMs seem to prefer green beans with their steak :p

In my mind, I'm thinking that getting a guy like Okposo to play top 6 minutes would help accelerate the rebuild to the point where with a few other additions, we would be a competitive team while Kyle Okposo is still in his 20s. He will provide much needed skill from the RW and help to insulate the kids. I am all for playing the kids, which we will be doing, but playing them with scoring talent will add to their development.

Also, NHL players frequently put up very good numbers well into their 30s. There often is not a sharp decline. 5 of the top 20 scorers in the regular season this year were 30 or older, with Getzlaf just missing.

I see your point and I'd much rather go after Okposo than someone like O'Reilly because he plays right wing and we're thin at that position. He likely won't be as expensive in assets or cap hit either but I'm interested in seeing what the guys we already have can do next year.

I see your point and I'd much rather go after Okposo than someone like O'Reilly because he plays right wing and we're thin at that position. He likely won't be as expensive in assets or cap hit either but I'm interested in seeing what the guys we already have can do next year.

Ya, I am interested in hearing about what the potential price of Okposo would be. I mentioned before I'd be up for a deal that involved 21, 51, and a prospect. I don't think I would budge on a guy like Zadorov in the deal. Unless, perhaps, we only had to give up one pick.

I don't know what to think about Zadorov. I really like him as a player and he has a great skill set. I worry about the apparent maturity issues, but maybe they are non-issues. He is still a kid, after all.

Ya, I am interested in hearing about what the potential price of Okposo would be. I mentioned before I'd be up for a deal that involved 21, 51, and a prospect. I don't think I would budge on a guy like Zadorov in the deal. Unless, perhaps, we only had to give up one pick.

I don't know what to think about Zadorov. I really like him as a player and he has a great skill set. I worry about the apparent maturity issues, but maybe they are non-issues. He is still a kid, after all.

You forgot the KHL label.

I'd lean towards him just needing to grow up a bit

Dreger reporting the Rangers turned down two 2nd round picks for Talbot. Time to move on from that GMTM

Why do I think the Rangers are playing Dreger like a fiddle?

He seems to be the only one reporting on this and the reports are all so over-the-top.

Dreger reporting the Rangers turned down two 2nd round picks for Talbot. Time to move on from that GMTM

I don't even understand why anyone would offer that much in the first place. He has a very limited sample behind an excellent defensive team, is going to be 28, and is a pending UFA you can't negotiate with until the middle of the season. Oh yea, and there's more available goaltenders than there are starting positions, so it should be a buyer's market. Give me Lack for a fraction of the cost.

I don't even understand why anyone would offer that much in the first place. He has a very limited sample behind an excellent defensive team, is going to be 28, and is a pending UFA you can't negotiate with until the middle of the season. Oh yea, and there's more available goaltenders than there are starting positions, so it should be a buyer's market. Give me Lack for a fraction of the cost.

This. So much.

I hope that it was Edmonton's pair of 2s that was offered, or Calgary's.

I'd grudgingly accept 51 and Minny's 2017 2nd.

But I would not be happy with 31 and 51.

Prior to this past season, Talbot's career has been virtually identical — maybe a little behind — Chad Johnson's.

Not July 1?

My worry about Talbot is he hasn't shown much outside of this season that would make you say he is definitely a #1 guy. Lack is maybe slightly ahead in that he has shown to be capable of possibly being a starter. Anderson has shown he can be when healthy. Lehner and Markstrom have the potential but haven't proven it.

Outside of them there's Niemi but I question why the sharks would just let him go. Personally I would be looking at the Leafs and getting a price on Bernier or Reimer. One of them will want out if not the #1

Vogl with "a source" confirming Grigorenko and 21 being shopped as a package.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/sabres-have-options-after-no-2-pick-20150622

If they trade 21 and Grigorenko for Cam Talbot, I will be awfully disappointed.  Sorry Mr. Talbot you had a great season, but you're not worth more than a 2nd and 3rd round pick.  

I would rather grab a free agent goalie and keep the picks for prospects. I feel we can draft a goalie plus we should have some coming long-term. This team isn't contending right now anyway and just because we draft Eichel doesn't mean he's coming out of college hockey just yet. Nobody knows that answer just yet.

If they trade 21 and Grigorenko for Cam Talbot, I will be awfully disappointed.  Sorry Mr. Talbot you had a great season, but you're not worth more than a 2nd and 3rd round pick.  

I would much rather them keep 21 and Grigs. I get they don't want to take the chance on Grigs not making the club and having to pass thru waivers but I wouldn't give up on the guy just yet either. It's far too early.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.