Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

I'd do Eichel for Subban and nine, move Reinhart to centre where he belongs, then draft Jost to get mentored behind Stamkos after I take Juolevi at eight.

But I'd make sure I signed Vesey first.

Go on, git.

I would trade Risto and a tiny plus and then cry a lot. But then remember that I'd kill for Risto to become Subban. Can't give Jack or Sam. I don't have the stones to be a GM.

Yes, but I don't add to it. 

I'm building a TrueBlueGED bunker. No TrueBlueGEDs allowed. 

I don't break this core apart for anyone not named McDavid. It's that simple for me

You know what, I love what we have here too. This can be my default now.

Go on, git.

I would trade Risto and a tiny plus and then cry a lot. But then remember that I'd kill for Risto to become Subban. Can't give Jack or Sam. I don't have the stones to be a GM.

I'm building a TrueBlueGED bunker. No TrueBlueGEDs allowed. 

You know what, I love what we have here too. This can be my default now.

In my defense, I immediately said I had buyers' remorse. It was an impulse yes! Forgive me!

I'd do Eichel for Subban and nine, move Reinhart to centre where he belongs, then draft Jost to get mentored behind Stamkos after I take Juolevi at eight.

Reinhart is expendable for the right price. Jack is priceless. Stamkos or not.

I'm still stuck on the part where Lindy Ruff knows how to use Brian Campbell.  Use him how?  As a healthy scratch?  Lindy spent 5 years of Soupy career jerking him around and he only gave him and average of 20mins a night during his last two seasons in Buffalo.  He hasn't been below 20 a night since.

Sentimental thought in my eyes of seeing a cup come to both of them together.

I agree on "anybody but Eichel."

Would you do Reinhart and Risto for Subban? I imagine we'd still need to add to that.

No. That's too much as it is, and I certainly wouldn't add to it. Reinhart and Ristolainen combined will have a larger net positive impact than just Subban would.

I would think about Reinhart and a prospect or pick for Subban. Or Reinhart and Girgensons. But I'm probably just going to say no anyways because at this point I'm sick of envisioning trading Sam in my head.

I'm going to assume that what most Sabres fans would be willing to give for Subban would be about half of what it would actually take.

I don't mean that in a bad way. Just because a great player is available doesn't mean your favorite team has to sell the house to acquire them.

That said, I would go hard after Subban. If the price is as outrageous as I expect I probably would back off.

I'm going to assume that what most Sabres fans would be willing to give for Subban would be about half of what it would actually take.

I don't mean that in a bad way. Just because a great player is available doesn't mean your favorite team has to sell the house to acquire them.

That said, I would go hard after Subban. If the price is as outrageous as I expect I probably would back off.

While I agree, and also think that the Habs probably would ask for something like Reinhart and Ristolainen, I don't believe that would be objectively fair. I legitimately think their value combined is higher than Subban's. He's a great D, one of my non-Sabre favourites actually, but while not old - he's 27 already, and I think long term we'd be giving up the higher value executing a trade like that.

Distinction is between what it would take, and what it should take, in an objectively fair trade. Montreal would obviously ask for the world, and we should probably be unwilling to pay that.

Edited by Thorny

I'm still stuck on the part where Lindy Ruff knows how to use Brian Campbell. Use him how? As a healthy scratch? Lindy spent 5 years of Soupy career jerking him around and he only gave him and average of 20mins a night during his last two seasons in Buffalo. He hasn't been below 20 a night since.

There's a reason Lindy did that. Soupy was a train wreck in the defensive zone before 2005.

As for Subban, I'd be amazed if the Habs actually traded him. From the Sabres' perspective, I'd probably give #8 plus either Reino or Risto, but Eichel is off the table, and dudacek is in the Sabrespace gimp's basement in "Pulp Fiction."

He also said that he wouldn't move out one of his younger stars.  Stating the obvious: Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen aren't moving.

I'd go Eichel for Subban, Glachenyuk, Price, #9, #39, #45, #70, and Noah Juulsen. 

and no I am not kidding, that is what it would take me to want to move Jack Eichel the guy who scored 56points as a 19yr old rookie. 

McKenzie and Lavoie both reported today that the phone calls to Montreal on Subban have picked up a lot in the last two days. This is probably because Subban's NTC kicks in on the 1st.

McKenzie said he knows of ten teams with serious interested. General feeling is that a trade is still very unlikely.

What would you give for Subban?

My left nut.

I'm still stuck on the part where Lindy Ruff knows how to use Brian Campbell.  Use him how?  As a healthy scratch?  Lindy spent 5 years of Soupy career jerking him around and he only gave him and average of 20mins a night during his last two seasons in Buffalo.  He hasn't been below 20 a night since.

Sabers need a defenseman that can put up the ice time Risto can. Very tough to do. But Buffalo and Risto need it. 

Edited by GoPre

With the price of FA Defense sky rocketing, the price to trade for Shattenkirk and Fowler will probably follow suit. Would bringing Brendan Guhle up to the Sabres next season be the worse scenario?

This was brought up on GR by Matthew Coller this AM.

With the price of FA Defense sky rocketing, the price to trade for Shattenkirk and Fowler will probably follow suit. Would bringing Brendan Guhle up to the Sabres next season be the worse scenario?

Depends if he's ready.  I want us to develop guys properly and not go with the Darcy approach of throwing everyone on the team sans development.  But I trust Tim is not like that.  I suspect he gets his 9 game tryout and see where he stands.  If he's ready then he plays.

I'd go Eichel for Subban, Glachenyuk, Price, #9, #39, #45, #70, and Noah Juulsen. 

and no I am not kidding, that is what it would take me to want to move Jack Eichel the guy who scored 56points as a 19yr old rookie. 

Exactly. Not trading him for ANYONE. As a homer, I wouldn't trade him for McDavid, Crosby, or Kane.  I want the kid that we drafted to lead us to a cup, and that is it.

I lived and died after every game that horrendous tank season for Eichel.  Felt like every game was a playoff game. No chance I trade him for anyone.

Exactly, I feel the same way.  I hold Jack in the highest regard and honestly think he's the horse that gets the Sabres to the promise land.

Yes, yes it would. We need a top-4 LHD. Maybe he could handle 3rd pair duties, but I don't think that helps him and I'm positive it doesn't help the team. Edited by TrueBlueGED

Yes, yes it would. We need a top-4 LHD. Maybe he could handle 3rd pair duties, but I don't think that helps him and I'm positive it doesn't help the team.

In GMTM I trust. Whether it's signing journeymen to fill out the roster or trading for a bottom pair D, he'll do something. Ristolainen, Bogo, McCabe and Pysyk isn't the worst top 4 I've heard of but I still think Murray makes an upgrade or two.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.