Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Hopefully that's true. 1 fewer landing spots for Johnson.

I'm not too worried about Calgary for him as they're going to be swinging bigger than a questionable veteran. Varlamov and Fleury sound like the likely targets there.

Anaheim could be a team to watch on Johnson. Colorado if they trade Varlamov (would probably elevate Pickard to starter and want a reliable backup).

Per Steve Zipay of Newsday the Blackhawks are "seriously kicking the tires" on Evgeni Malkin.

Now THAT would be one hell of a trade. It involves Seabrook/Keith/Panarin

I don't see how that would make any sense from a hockey perspective though.

It doesn't. Who would be the Pens 2nd line center anyways? Plus, Kane is so much more valuable than Malkin, or anyone else on that team other than Crosby

I'm not too worried about Calgary for him as they're going to be swinging bigger than a questionable veteran. Varlamov and Fleury sound like the likely targets there.

Anaheim could be a team to watch on Johnson. Colorado if they trade Varlamov (would probably elevate Pickard to starter and want a reliable backup).

If Varlamov and Fleury aren't questionable veteran goaltenders I don't know who is :p

If Varlamov and Fleury aren't questionable veteran goaltenders I don't know who is :p

They're far less questionable than Johnson is. Especially as full-time starters. Johnson has no experience as a starter. I would pick Fleury and Varlamov over Johnson if I'm looking for a starter. I might choose Reimer over Varlamov and Fleury, though.

They're far less questionable than Johnson is. Especially as full-time starters. Johnson has no experience as a starter. I would pick Fleury and Varlamov over Johnson if I'm looking for a starter. I might choose Reimer over Varlamov and Fleury, though.

I was thinking today I could see Reimer in Calgary, no one looking for a starter is looking for Johnson outside of some Sabres fans.......

Rumors were the pens want Calgary's first for Fleury. They were going after Anderson also before the Leafs snagged him.

Factoring in contracts I'd go Reimer > Varlamov > Johnson > Fleury. I know he seems to have rebounded the past couple years, but no way am I chancing it for $5.75M for 3 more seasons.

So what do we think of Shattenkirk?

Born in New York State, raised in the Northeast, wants to move back, just turned 27.

Smart puck mover, consistently scores more than 40 points, among the leagues better point men, Team USA experience.

UFA to be, available only because of cap issues in St. Louis.

Seems to be almost a textbook Murray target.

If he was a leftie he might be number one on our radar.

After Murrays comments yesterday, maybe he should be anyway.

Edited by dudacek

Born in New York State, raised in the Northeast, wants to move back, just turned 27.

Smart puck mover, consistently scores more than 40 points, among the leagues better point men, Team USA experience.

We here love us some Shattenkirk! By "we" I mean "I" and by "us" I mean "me" but you get the idea. Gimme gimme gimme.

I think Shattenkirk in, Bogo out, is very much on the table for Murray if LHD just isn't happening.

Edit: I'd even go so far as to say if Shattenkirk is the best available Dman in Murray's eyes, then that's who he's going to target, regardless of handedness.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Moulson, Bogo, Gionta are bad contracts. If Stamkos is healthy, I do not see the Sabres (or anyone else) regretting that deal. He's going to score 30-45 / year and you didn't use anything but money to acquire him.  

The Bogosian contract is not bad IMPO. Gionta is off the books after this season so his contract is not bad either. The only bad contract thus far is Moulson and I think we see a rebound year from him.

I like him. But Boston offered a 1st for Shattenkirk and that was a no. I would guess we are talking Zemgus, #8, and something else for Shattenkirk so hard to gauge. 

Bogosian to somewhere, and that frees up the spot for Shattenkirk.  It alleviates the PP concerns and he's a born PP guy.  One of the best in the league.  While sure, Barrie would have been younger, Shatty is so solid.  I'd love him if Bogo can be moved. 

Bogosian to somewhere, and that frees up the spot for Shattenkirk.  It alleviates the PP concerns and he's a born PP guy.  One of the best in the league.  While sure, Barrie would have been younger, Shatty is so solid.  I'd love him if Bogo can be moved.

Why not keep both then D is solidified with young guys having room to develop as a 3rd pair.

The problem is the gaping hole on the left side. None of our righties has shown the ability to perform just as well on the left side. Running Risto-Shatt-Bogo down the right side is better than what we had this season, but any good from that I'd offset by the wretched left side.

Ah hence trade Bogo for left side help. Got it. Hmm hate to see Bogo go but... return would have to equivalent.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.