Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

It's not even worth the what-ifs, WC!  Wow, that's bad.  Worse than Eklund bad.

Oh it's terrible  :lol:

Jimmy Murphy ‏@MurphysLaw74  46m

Regarding Isles-Oilers talks, don't be surprised if Johnny Boychuk is discussed. Chiarelli knows him and he's from EDM so may waive NMC.

I'm highly skeptical of Murphy. He's been throwing out some pretty shaky stuff for a long time. He also reported he was hearing that the NHL was putting off Vegas until Carolina figures themselves out despite the news breaking that day that Vegas was the recommendation.

The deal makes sense though, doesn't it?

If they're not paying Soupy and we are doesn't that alone give them all they need to sign him?

Hmmm, I was not aware Soupy was costing them that much. $7.14m cap hit is huge

The deal only makes sense if Edmonton really is thinking small for Hall. They should be able to get a much better defender than Hamonic (who is a second-pairing guy). New York would have to add a healthy piece or two to the deal.

I too would take Soupy as a stop gap.

I would to, if he's a stop gap to something we actually have. If we use 8 on a young D, sign me up. If not, I hope our LHD addition to the blue line this off season comes in the form of someone younger.

I will lose my ######

Meaning wtf?! That would be my reaction. If I were a GM, good thing I'm not, my max would be 10 million. Don't feel he's worth 12, and it may hurt the Sabres in a couple of years when others have to be re-signed. 

On WGR they're saying reports are coming out the Buffalo is going "all in" on Stamkos and speculation is they're offering him $12 million per year.

I think this is Pegs firing a shot across the bow. Same mentality as when he bought the Bills. 

GO SABRES!!!

Well, 7yrs/10M per was bandied about recently. If you're Stamkos wouldn't it be better to take 5yrs/12M per and his UFA again when you're 31 rather than when you're 33?

Of course it's better for Stamkos to take the shorter, higher paying deal. I just feel 12 mill is too much. Could possibly hurt the Sabres in a few years. And I really don't like the chance of that happening.

The guy who just got snubbed from the Canadian Junior team...  Guhle is at least 2 years out. 

The context was that Soupy would be a stop gap measure. That fit's a one or two year. So if Guhle is two years out..see what I'm getting at?  

I don't think Guhle is an assured top 4 D, let alone a future #1 LHD. 

That may be true. Everything I've heard about him start with  his amazing fluid skating ability though.

Moulson, Bogo, Gionta are bad contracts. If Stamkos is healthy, I do not see the Sabres (or anyone else) regretting that deal. He's going to score 30-45 / year and you didn't use anything but money to acquire him.  

cap minimum during rebuild and $$$ that was designed to come off the books when we need it to sign Risto Eichel and Samson to long term deals

I'm going to LOL at all the capologists who think Murray is just doing things willy nily with no plan or reason

Just got off the HOF forums where all the upset leafs non sabre fans were all screaming how stupid the Sabres are withthe cap. not one of them understand how its al laid out and there is a plan.

HOWEVER IMO Sabres will not be spending 12 mil on Stamkos.. They're just stirring the pot a bunch

The context was that Soupy would be a stop gap measure. That fit's a one or two year. So if Guhle is two years out..see what I'm getting at?  

That may be true. Everything I've heard about him start with  his amazing fluid skating ability though.

Yes but I don't think you see what I am getting at. Guhle is at least 2 years out, meaning that if he progresses perfectly he can be a Sabre in two years. What if he doesn't? What if he fails? What if he is only good enough for 3rd pairing minutes? The context was soupy is a stop gap, but we need a legit LHD not a stop gap that assumes a 19yr old kid will be a major contributor exactly when we need him. I love Guhle but I would rather a legit LHD be added to the Roster than a stop gap that hinges on Guhle being ready. I've seen too many prospects flame out to believe any of them will make it until they do. 

Just got off the HOF forums where all the upset leafs non sabre fans were all screaming how stupid the Sabres are withthe cap. not one of them understand how its al laid out and there is a plan.

How are we mishandling the cap (according to these fans)? We have tons of room and outside of ROR no long term deals to be overly concerned about.

Yes but I don't think you see what I am getting at. Guhle is at least 2 years out, meaning that if he progresses perfectly he can be a Sabre in two years. What if he doesn't? What if he fails? What if he is only good enough for 3rd pairing minutes? The context was soupy is a stop gap, but we need a legit LHD not a stop gap that assumes a 19yr old kid will be a major contributor exactly when we need him. I love Guhle but I would rather a legit LHD be added to the Roster than a stop gap that hinges on Guhle being ready. I've seen too many prospects flame out to believe any of them will make it until they do. 

How are we mishandling the cap (according to these fans)? We have tons of room and outside of ROR no long term deals to be overly concerned about.

Got it and agree that a player now is the preferred path.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.