Be honest: Dumbest hockey thing you ever posted

BetweenThePipes00

OK, the thread about welcoming new members combined with the play of a certain player on the Blackhawks inspired this idea ... I started posting here in 2005 so I am sure I said a lot of dumb things those first few years ... but one sticks out and keeps being thrown in my face every time the Blackhawks play.

So I thought it might be cool for the veteran posters to own something dumb they said, or at least something they ended up being wrong about even if it kind of made sense at the time and calling it "dumb" would be revisionist history ... 

Here's mine (or one of them): I was SO wrong about Niklas Hjalmarsson. In 2008-09, as the Sabres were on their way to missing the playoffs by 4 points, I remember suggesting they should try to get something from Chicago for Tallinder (Remember this was post-Lydman/pre-Myers Tallinder) because they were so young then, and he was 30 and had solid playoff experience from '06 and '07, and Hjalmarsson was 21 and had played only a handful of games in the NHL as the trade deadline approached. I believe I went so far as to say something like "Do they really want to end up with something called Niklas Hjalmarsson playing in the playoffs?!"

Apparently they did. The dude played the last 19 games after the deadline and 17 playoff games as they went to the conference finals. They have won two Cups. They may win a third. And something called Niklas Hjalmarsson is freaking awesome.

Anyone else?

I thought Stafford was going to score 35 goals the season after his only 30 goal season.

Any criticism I ever levied against Tim Connolly for his "softness".

Truth. I ripped on Timmy C really hard around the end of his Sabres tenure. He was still one of our best PKers, despite his health issues. Poor guy.

Sometime early in the 06-07 season, Tallinder was really playing well(prior to breaking his wrist or some other injury), and I thought he was on his way to being a perennial all-star or even a Norris trophy candidate.  Like many other things that occurred in 2007 for the Sabres(downward spiral), Tallinder never seemed to be able be reach that level of play again.

I got nothin'.

Perfect. I would have lost faith in humanity had you responded any other way!

It was before I was posting anywhere, but I thought Satan was terrible and was happy when he left. God I was an idiot.

Eh you may get a pass on that one. He wasn't TERRIBLE but if the rumblings are true that he and Drury didn't get along (some say Drury issued a "him or me" ultimatum), he needed to go, then it was a good thing he left when he did. 

Edited by BetweenThePipes00

Probably just about anything I've ever said on this forum... Which is why I don't post much in the actual hockey related threads. 

But uh, I was a rather over zealous brand new hockey fan a couple years ago and was paying attention to up and coming players... I posted a video of Andreas Athanasiou (red wings prospect) to d4rk's fb page and he and his friend just made fun of me for it. I still cringe about it.

Haven't posted anything since, really. Still learning the ropes- maybe someday I'll feel I've got a right/enough knowledge to post stuff. I write posts and then delete them more than I actually ever hit the damn "post" button. 

• I genuinely thought Bucky Gleason could succeed in following in the foot steps of Jim Kelley.  He wrote so authentically about his admiration for Jim.
  • I also thought the signing of Leino, who would've been the second best player at center available that July, was a brilliant move.  It was a good move on paper, according to game theory.  Let the suckers fight to over overpay Mike Richards, we'll get the next best guy.  If only Leino played center ever.  Or played at all.
  • I was very resistant to shitting on Drew Stafford for a loooong time.  I finally broke, crapped on him for a couple years -even when he was good on the line with Ennis and Foligno for a moonth-, only to watch him flourish with Winnpeg.  He was a barometer of the quality of the team, and not a total up.
  • Many know I supported Regier (and Ruff) for a long time.  I don't apologize for that, BUT I did think Regier was capable of taking us through this monster of rebuild; I was ambivalent about his(their) firing.  In retrospect, we'd still be in a great place with draft picks, but we wouldn't have Kane, and we might still have Ron Rolston.  Oof.  Tim's more interesting.  Bylsma's qualified.  With the upcoming big moves, the roster is poised.  The fan base as a whole is mentally healthier with the new front office crew- and that's a factor I had underestimated.  There's a lot of hope in the fandom right now that wouldn't have lasted or reignited under the old guard.
  • I thought Raffi Torres wasn't great, but was going to make a nice addition to the team grit-wise.  Oops.  I thought Brad Boyes could score 30 in Buffalo.  I thought Dimitri Kalinin could learn to be the powerplay quarterback we were missing at the time.

It's like a confessional in here.  It's a nice environment for self-accountability, which you don't see on message boards that often, especially sports-related message boards.

This is a tough one - both because being self-aware is a challenge and because I tend to occupy a skeptical middle ground where I'm always saying stuff along the lines of "Hmmm. Maybe. But then again, maybe not.

I do remember being ALL IN on the Sabres when they won some games during that trip to Europe and had Luke frickin' Adam centering their top line (?!). Not sure what I posted to that effect, but I know I was feelin' it.

Probably just about anything I've ever said on this forum

Now, stop that. And let's all agree that d4rk's boys need to stop chirping Josie. I trust they're just jealous that their girls won't talk hockey.

I don't regret nothing I have ever said.

- LeSean McCoy

Guy's clearly a tool. Just get us 300 touches and average 4+ per carry, Shady.

This is a tough one - both because being self-aware is a challenge and because I tend to occupy a skeptical middle ground where I'm always saying stuff along the lines of "Hmmm. Maybe. But then again, maybe not."

I can't even remember what I said yesterday, so I'm having a tough time thinking up specific dumb things.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.