WildCard

So if they don't play back to back, it's a mistake free game?  I don't buy it, and there are no stats to back it up other than a save pct one posted above.  If they are playing injured, their play is subpar whether or not they play back to back.

Multiple off days(there are two of them this finals) is even worse.  

To the bolded:  :rolleyes:

I don't think stats are needed to prove that better hockey results from guys that are less fatigued.  It's common sense.

If somebody is playing through an injury, having extra rest time in between games absolutely makes a huge difference.

So if they don't play back to back, it's a mistake free game?  I don't buy it, and there are no stats to back it up other than a save pct one posted above.  If they are playing injured, their play is subpar whether or not they play back to back.

Since I got called out on my argument...any stats to back this up?

So if they don't play back to back, it's a mistake free game? I don't buy it, and there are no stats to back it up other than a save pct one posted above. If they are playing injured, their play is subpar whether or not they play back to back.

Just because nobody has taken the time to serve the stats to you doesn't mean they're not there. Common sense and stats support off days.

Maybe the double days off are a bit much, but I'm completely fine with maximizing the rest within reason to ensure well-rested NHLers. Best of the best with some rest.

Edited by Hoss

To the bolded:  :rolleyes:

I don't think stats are needed to prove that better hockey results from guys that are less fatigued.  It's common sense.

If somebody is playing through an injury, having extra rest time in between games absolutely makes a huge difference.

So watch the SC FInals games with one off day in between and then the game after two days off in between, and let me know how much better the game is with more rest.

My only point is that I don't like watching hockey when the temps are pushing 80 in WNY.   I will move on.

Edited by LabattBlue

Hey Sabre Dance, I think what you are remembering is that in the 1980s, the first two rounds (involving the Sabres anyway) went back to back for the first four games (SITE 1 SITE 1 DAY OFF SITE 2 SITE 2), then spread out. 

It absolutely happened back in the day.  And in the early rounds, it was common.

Was the NHL wrong for so many years? Was the move to days off between games about better hockey or something else?

No, professional sports leagues and humans, definitely humans, are always perfect the first time they do something. :p

I don't care what the motivation for off days is... It's right. I can't believe there's an actual argument otherwise. If they had something like three days in between games then I'd be right there with you but one day off and then a few two-day breaks isn't going to kill anybody.

Occasional back-to-backs in the early rounds is fine. Especially round one. But I prefer this route in the SCF.

Why the ###### is there no hockey right now? UGH.

Right? The conference finals went as late as they could have and yet we still have three full days in between? Today or tomorrow at least. The extra full day is silly.

Edited by Hoss

Fwiw, one #fancystats blogger says the second night of a back to back game affects a team's relative Corsi.

http://objectivenhl.blogspot.com/2010/11/adjusted-corsi-w-score-close-part-iii.html?m=1

Does he only site when both teams are on a back to back, in the playoffs? If not, his numbers mean nothing.

I guess we should complain about them making teams play until someone wins as well. In the regular season they only have to play 5 minute OTs. Sometimes these guys play 2 full games,… in one night, and and we don't think they are capable of playing B2Bs? Give me a break.

Soft...

In the end the long break will benefit both the players and the fans. Hell maybe in the leagues wisdom ( cough,cough ) they planned it this way with the thinking that they would prefer fresh players in the final. Imo the 3 days off will make for a better product through the rest of the finals.

Does he only site when both teams are on a back to back, in the playoffs? If not, his numbers mean nothing.

I guess we should complain about them making teams play until someone wins as well. In the regular season they only have to play 5 minute OTs. Sometimes these guys play 2 full games,… in one night, and and we don't think they are capable of playing B2Bs? Give me a break.

Soft...

The OT angle is a good one; for arguing that there shouldn't be back-to-back games. Are you saying that it wouldn't make for some terrible hockey if, after playing that 2 or 3 OT game they had to come back and play the next night?

Plus, it's not like hockey happens in a vacuum. The arenas are booked for other stuff and the NHL can't just waltz in and say, "Concert X with 25000 tickets sold? sorry, we need the arena that night!". Rush is playing the United Center on the 12th (Friday). There are games on both Saturdays. HNIC, anyone?

Living in Tampa it is amazing to see all the hockey fans coming out of the woodwork. Half these so-called Lightning fans couldn't tell you who Steven Stamkos is.

Just like the first Cup finals I will be going to at least one game and cheering my ass off. However, as a diehard Sabre fan it will really be BS if I witness TB win 2 Cups before we win one. Just isn't right.

Off the top of my head I know goaltenders playing back to back average a save percentage drop in the .1 ballpark. I have a hard time believing they're the only ones affected.

If save percentage drops by .1 doesn't that mean that scoring goes up?  So, is it that a goaltender is more or less fatigued than the other players on the ice?  Also.. more scoring, so not necessarily a bad thing right?

From a viewing perspective, IMO, yes having two days off between games makes me lose interest.

In no way trying to be a jerk.. but that's a sample size of 1.

If save percentage drops by .1 doesn't that mean that scoring goes up? So, is it that a goaltender is more or less fatigued than the other players on the ice? Also.. more scoring, so not necessarily a bad thing right?

In no way trying to be a jerk.. but that's a sample size of 1.

Thing is, I think it's pretty rare for two teams to play each other on the second half of a back to back and both go with the same goaltender as game 1. So I doubt overall scoring is meaningfully impacted. Furthermore, if we seeing more scoring because of crappy goaltending rather than better offense, I'm not sure that's a win for the sport.

True but I just want to say....

Bballvhockey1.PNG

Bballvhockey2.PNG

Bballvhockey3.PNG

No offense but those memes are stupid. Such a misrepresentation.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.