WildCard

Still saying new posts every couple minutes.

Is it something I did for starting the thread? I'll fix it if I know what it is. I added the topic poll by editing my first post because that was the only way I could figure it out, that's probably it.

I'll ask again, can someone please tell me how to manage/add the topic poll without editing my original post?

Full schedule:

Game 1 - Chicago at Tampa, Wednesday June 3rd 8 p.m. NBC

Game 2 - Chicago at Tampa, Saturday June 6th 7:15 p.m. NBC

Game 3 - Tampa at Chicago, Monday June 8th 8 p.m. NBCSN

Game 4 - Tampa at Chicago, Wednesday June 10th 8 p.m. NBCSN

Game 5 - Chicago at Tampa, Saturday June 13th 8 p.m. NBC

Game 6 - Tampa at Chicago, Monday June 15th 8 p.m. NBC

Game 7 - Chicago at Tampa, Wednesday June 17th 8 p.m. NBC

YES!!!  15 days to play 7 games.  A drawn out Stanley Cup Finals to end an already way too long season.  

Chicago all the way.  I'll give TB at least 1 win.. so Blackhawks in 5.  I just don't see them being able to stop Chicago.

Tampa is a run and gun team that leaves a lot of open space.  Space that guys like Hossa and Sharp use very well.  I'm not including Toews and Kane because they'll be rock solid no matter what.

Maybe it never happened in the SC Finals, but I could have sworn that years ago, teams played their first two games back-to-back, had a day off to travel, then played two more back to back.  (Of course, if they needed any additional games there were days off in between for travel.)  A seven game series would then only take 11 days, not 15 (or more).  Of course, I'm old and my memory is probably just fading....  :blink:

Anyway, the Hawks hung in there until game 7, then put up a stone wall defense. I think Tampa will find scoring difficult.  The only way the Bolts come out on top is if Chicago has any more injury problems.  Hawks in six, but game 6 will be a double-overtime affair (and Toews scores the winner on an assist from Kane).

Would 14 days really make you that much happier? Surely you don't want the garbage hockey associated with back to backs in the Finals.

Back to back for non travel day games? Absolutely should be. And yes shortening this even by one day is better. Why not just drag it into July?

Maybe it never happened in the SC Finals, but I could have sworn that years ago, teams played their first two games back-to-back, had a day off to travel, then played two more back to back.  (Of course, if they needed any additional games there were days off in between for travel.)  A seven game series would then only take 11 days, not 15 (or more).  Of course, I'm old and my memory is probably just fading....  :blink:

Replace the xxxx with the year in the following link and you can see the dates of all games in the final for that year. I looked randomly at a few years, and the only finals I could find with back to back games were 1940 (first two games back to back) and 1950 (last two games back to back).

Have fun. I'd like to see something on my desk in the morning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/xxxx_Stanley_Cup_Finals

Edited by PASabreFan

Replace the xxxx with the year in the following link and you can see the dates of all games in the final for that year. I looked randomly at a few years, and the only finals I could find with back to back games were 1940 (first two games back to back) and 1950 (last two games back to back).

Have fun. I'd like to see something on my desk in the morning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/xxxx_Stanley_Cup_Finals

Solid.  For what it's worth, I also seemed to remember WAY more back-to-backs int he playoffs when I was younger (in the 90s, I guess), but I suppose it was just my imagination as well.  I think I'll attribute it to the fact that I was a big baseball fan in those days (they musta had more back-to-backs?)

Solid.  For what it's worth, I also seemed to remember WAY more back-to-backs int he playoffs when I was younger (in the 90s, I guess), but I suppose it was just my imagination as well.  I think I'll attribute it to the fact that I was a big baseball fan in those days (they musta had more back-to-backs?)

You're thinking '80's. Early '90's had the classic - Campbell Conference 1 night; PoWales the next. Hockey every night until the Finals and nobody w/in conference got extra rest unless they earned it.

I could not care less how it was done in the 40's and 50's or even last year. There is no reason to have an off day in between back to back home games....none. A season that is between 8-9 months long ending in summer is too long.

I'm sorry, but back to back games in the Finals would be gross. Just sloppy hockey. I'm all in favor of reducing games to contract the regular season schedule to prevent mid-June hockey, even if it's never happening.

I could not care less how it was done in the 40's and 50's or even last year. There is no reason to have an off day in between back to back home games....none. A season that is between 8-9 months long ending in summer is too long.

I'm with you.

I'm sorry, but back to back games in the Finals would be gross. Just sloppy hockey. I'm all in favor of reducing games to contract the regular season schedule to prevent mid-June hockey, even if it's never happening.

Stats or it didn't happen.

I've seen plenty of ugly games between two well rested teams.

I'm with you.

Stats or it didn't happen.

I've seen plenty of ugly games between two well rested teams.

Off the top of my head I know goaltenders playing back to back average a save percentage drop in the .1 ballpark. I have a hard time believing they're the only ones affected.

Off the top of my head I know goaltenders playing back to back average a save percentage drop in the .1 ballpark. I have a hard time believing they're the only ones affected.

I have a hard time believing that at this time of the year anyone would be affected.

I have a hard time believing that at this time of the year anyone would be affected.

In the regular season, teams play is often times effected in the 2nd game of "back to backs." Granted, both squads would be getting no game off, but why wouldn't it result in sloppier play in game 100+ when it does in game 20 or 30?

In the regular season, teams play is often times effected in the 2nd game of "back to backs." Granted, both squads would be getting no game off, but why wouldn't it result in sloppier play in game 100+ when it does in game 20 or 30?

I just don't think it effects teams as often as they use it as an excuse. There are often games where both teams are rested and you can see one team look gassed in the third, they just don't have the convenience of a good excuse.

Also, I think players are just in better shape at the end of the year than they are in game 20.

Another factor is nutrition these days. Thirty years ago I could see it having an impact, but today they get their bodies back to where they should be much more quickly.

Oh, yeah. One more. Focus. It's the playoffs FFS. Their brains won't let them be sloppy.

Back to backs in the finals are a terrible idea.  I don't know how anyone can dispute what True said about sloppy hockey.  Half the guys are playing injured and they're around the 100th game of the year.

So if they don't play back to back, it's a mistake free game?  I don't buy it, and there are no stats to back it up other than a save pct one posted above.  If they are playing injured, their play is subpar whether or not they play back to back.

Multiple off days(there are two of them this finals) is even worse.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.