Dan Bylsma new Sabres head coach (now official!)

spndnchz

The Disco Killers? Sounds a little serial killer-y.

On July 12, 1979, the anti-disco sentiment reached a fever pitch when the Chicago White Sox held a "Disco Demolition Night" during a double-header at Comiskey Park.

Edited by PASabreFan

I need reminding on why the Leafs' current playoff probability shouldn't send me jumping through the nearest window.

Did they not pull the trigger on a full-out tank?

Are they trying to pull the same trick the Sabres did ~5 years ago - muddling along with a defective core?

Or is Babcock in fact a genius, and we really did miss out when they chose TO?

CYIVEZtWQAAbuRt.png

(Sorry if this doesn't belong squarely here. But it's related to discussion of who and what we have in Hot Daniel.)

Umm....

Dan Bylsma sending practice message to Rasmus Ristolainen? D-man, who has no goals in 11 games and is minus-6 in last five, skating as extra

+ / - is not an indicator of Risto's success

And it sounds more as if DD is experimenting overall, splitting up Gorges and Risto more than anything else. I'd be more concerned if ###### boys Weber and Carlos were involved 

New defense pairings being experimented with. Gorges w/ Franson; McCabe, Ristolainen, Bogosian alternating to form a pair; Weber-Colaiacovo.

(Sorry if this doesn't belong squarely here. But it's related to discussion of who and what we have in Hot Daniel.)

What is the source for this? Do you have one for this year? Or last year?

Babcock, Joe Q, and Sutter are the 3 best coaches in the league. DD does not belong anywhere near them, and the entire thread dedicated to debating him over Babcock, though very entertaining and stimulating, was not a debate. 

Edited by WildCard

I need reminding on why the Leafs' current playoff probability shouldn't send me jumping through the nearest window.

Are they trying to pull the same trick the Sabres did ~5 years ago - muddling along with a defective core?

CYIVEZtWQAAbuRt.png

Why does Columbus have a much better percentage than us????

Also, yes we missed out huge not landing the Bab.

He was never, ever, ever going to come to Buffalo.  Flirted a bit to squeeze every last dime out of the Leafs, that was the extent of his interest. 

Yep.

We had a very legitimate chance at landing him.

I don't buy it. Never have.

He was never, ever, ever going to come to Buffalo.  Flirted a bit to squeeze every last dime out of the Leafs, that was the extent of his interest. 

I'm not so sure. Anyone's guess is valid. Right up there with what happened with LaLa... we'll never know for sure.

+ / - is not an indicator of Risto's success

And it sounds more as if DD is experimenting overall, splitting up Gorges and Risto more than anything else. I'd be more concerned if ###### boys Weber and Carlos were involved

@BuffaloSabres 55m55 minutes ago

New defense pairings being experimented with. Gorges w/ Franson; McCabe, Ristolainen, Bogosian alternating to form a pair; Weber-Colaiacovo.

Babcock, Joe Q, and Sutter are the 3 best coaches in the league. DD does not belong anywhere near them, and the entire thread dedicated to debating him over Babcock, though very entertaining and stimulating, was not a debate.

Gorges with Franson?

That's not a defensive pair. That's a 7-10 spilt.

CYIVEZtWQAAbuRt.png

Oh, we definitely missed big, and I don't have anything to make you feel much better. Without trying to directly compare where they belong in the standings, I think it's pretty clear Babcock maximizing that roster while Bylsma is not.

However, I think Toronto had more talent than their record indicated last year. I also think they're doing more of a traditional rebuild than scorched earth tank, as they made a bunch of analytics driven value acquisitions in the offseason which Babcock is using effectively.

Shouldn't we be happy that the Sabres have a plan, told us that plan, we were all happy with that plan, and are sticking to it?

GMTM told us "We want to get better but still have a chance at winning the lottery." Granted, it's a much better chance of winning than we thought it would be, but they are just executing their plan.

I think all of DD's moves and choices are still just about seeing what we have and not necessarily about winning.

But I am definitely  in the "they better make the playoffs next year or there will be hell to pay" camp.

Shouldn't we be happy that the Sabres have a plan, told us that plan, we were all happy with that plan, and are sticking to it?

GMTM told us "We want to get better but still have a chance at winning the lottery." Granted, it's a much better chance of winning than we thought it would be, but they are just executing their plan.

I think all of DD's moves and choices are still just about seeing what we have and not necessarily about winning.

But I am definitely  in the "they better make the playoffs next year or there will be hell to pay" camp.

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

But I am definitely in the "they better make the playoffs next year or there will be hell to pay" camp.

I dunno, Bylsma said he thinks we're a playoff competitor. Would he say that then not try to win?

I dunno, Bylsma said he thinks we're a playoff competitor. Would he say that then not try to win?

I don't think anybody is trying not to win anymore... I just don't think they find the results to be of major consequence right now. Wins would be preferred, I assume, but it's about figuring out what's best long-term above all else right now. Wins would be good for the future because you don't want a bunch of losers forever, though.

I'm pretty content with how this season has been going. Can't really complain outside of Lehner, Kane, Ennis, and Girgs, with Lehner and Kane being very minor complaints. Sign me up for Puljujarvi, Matthews, or any other of those top 5 guys, they all look pretty good.

Plenty of us were not at all happy with the plan.

Ah, Babcock, the ginger-tailed hawk in the room. Why wasn't he interested in coaching here anyway? Terry and Tim wouldn't share the crayons?

You're on a roll of late. You're also sounding like a bit of a lunatic.

The sign at the citiy limits doesn't say "Toronto". It begins and ends with that.

Yep. Seems like he'd wanted TO if he could get it on the right terms.

Sorry - not sure. Mirtle (of TO media) Tweeted it from some analytics type website.

Gorges with Franson?

That's not a defensive pair. That's a 7-10 spilt.

Hey-OH.

However, I think Toronto had more talent than their record indicated last year. I also think they're doing more of a traditional rebuild than scorched earth tank, as they made a bunch of analytics driven value acquisitions in the offseason which Babcock is using effectively.

This is true - thanks for reminding me.

I thought of this late last night. I remember that when he dropped that, some around here were like "hheeeeyyy, wait a second - WHAT DID HE JUST SAY?!" I think PA was among them?

I don't even think it was a plan.

Stahp.

GM TM has a plan. It may not be going off without a Hitch, but he's got a plan.

Plenty of us were not at all happy with the plan.

I don't remember if I was among those at the time or not, but if I was, it was probably because I overestimated the talent we had/have, like many here. I'm thinking that he didn't, but just doesn't know how to not tell us exactly what he thinks, to his detriment.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.