Boulton

Neuvirth

Halak

Moore

Ehrhoff

Not a center among them. shocking.

Ok, Goose is in there. Not a decent center among them. :p

Edited by weave

"He barely attempted to forecheck." Duh. It's Vanek. "He hung out by the far blue line." Again. Duh!

"He has come close to justifying his existence on the roster.." Oof!

Vanek.

Super talented guy.  Capable, at times, of being not good, not great, but "Oh my God, did you see that?" great.

Too bad he plays only when he feels like it.  It's who he is.

Guys like this are borderline worthless in the post-season.

In the regular season they'll help win a lot of games.

The problem is they don't award the Cup for those who play well on that meaningless, boring Tuesday nighter in early December.

Wanna know how you can tell Vanek isn't playing with confidence right now? He gets a clean break away, and, instead of the normal Vanek quick shot, does a slow back-hand that's saved by Crawford

Edited by WildCard

He is their problem now.  So much talent, so unwilling to use it.  

This is just a confirmation how badly the old core needed to be sent packing.

I honestly believe that Vanek and Pomers are finished as playoff performers. Once the playoffs go into overdrive, they simply can't compete anymore.

The league has created two different games, regular season and playoffs. It's always been like that, but no where near the scale of the last few years particularly this year. Regular season scoring is down, games are leaning towards boring. The playoffs make that look like an all-star game. It used to be fun to watch the wide open offenses vs. the physical, enforcer type teams play each other in a series to see which one could prevail. Now we have neither. Today's playoff hockey neuters most gifted forwards, the few that succeed are the elite. Vanek used to be a pretty decent playoff goal scorer (20 goals in 53 games) before this year. Currently there are only 7 players scoring over 1PPG in the playoffs, including those who are already knocked out. Crosby, Malkin, Vanek, Nash, Pominville, Parise, St. Louis, Stamkos...................... most of these guys have hardly been visible. Is it because they're not giving it their all, or is the game rewarding an entirely different style of hockey once mid-April rolls around? 

IF our tank and rebuild is only half as successful as Chicago's, it means we'll win "only" 1 Stanley cup in the next 6 seasons,  "only" make the conference finals twice in 7 seasons,  and "only" make the playoffs 4 times in 7 seasons

Chicago is in their 7th consecutive postseason, during that span they've made the Conference Final 5 times,  and won 2 Stanley Cups (not including this year which is over yet).  

That's where we need to be.  

The league has created two different games, regular season and playoffs. It's always been like that, but no where near the scale of the last few years particularly this year. Regular season scoring is down, games are leaning towards boring. The playoffs make that look like an all-star game. It used to be fun to watch the wide open offenses vs. the physical, enforcer type teams play each other in a series to see which one could prevail. Now we have neither. Today's playoff hockey neuters most gifted forwards, the few that succeed are the elite. Vanek used to be a pretty decent playoff goal scorer (20 goals in 53 games) before this year. Currently there are only 7 players scoring over 1PPG in the playoffs, including those who are already knocked out. Crosby, Malkin, Vanek, Nash, Pominville, Parise, St. Louis, Stamkos...................... most of these guys have hardly been visible. Is it because they're not giving it their all, or is the game rewarding an entirely different style of hockey once mid-April rolls around?

Good post. I think the small minority who say this isn't the case are simply in denial. The pertinent question is *should* this be the case? I don't think it should. I'm sure others will heartily disagree.

Of the group you mention, Vanek (31), Nash (30), Pominville (32), Parise (30) and St. Louis (39) are all north of 30. While it's true Getzlaf and Perry are 29 and so is Ovechkin, they are perennial monsters as is Hossa and Patrick Sharp. Crosby is an old 27 on a declining team. I find it interesting that players like Kucherov, Tarasenko, Tyler Johnson and Johnny Gaudreau and even Sam Bennett are having success in the playoffs. Overall the legs are the wolf and it depends on who you are surrounded with. I see unknown fresh young players having greater offensive roles than the older guards whose legs and/or hearts are dead by this time of year.

Edited by 716

Good post. I think the small minority who say this isn't the case are simply in denial. The pertinent question is *should* this be the case? I don't think it should. I'm sure others will heartily disagree.

It's almost like the dinosaur keepers of the game want two versions of the NHL. In the regular season they'll allow a few more goals, a few more power plays and many more fights, to keep the masses entertained. In the playoffs, 2.0 is a purer vision. Refs swallow the whistle, goals and power plays are at a real premium and, perhaps unexpectedly, fighting declines pretty significantly. The bells and whistles, and red lights. aren't needed. They know the Stanley Cup sells itself.

He is their problem now.  So much talent, so unwilling to use it.  

This is just a confirmation how badly the old core needed to be sent packing.

He's not unwilling.  He looked just the same as always last night.  Very strong on the puck, willing to hang in the crease and take sticks to his body, and gripping too tightly when he's one-on-one with the goalie.  It's not unwillingness; he's too wound up and always will be.  He should take a Xanax before games or something. 

He's not unwilling.  He looked just the same as always last night.  Very strong on the puck, willing to hang in the crease and take sticks to his body, and gripping too tightly when he's one-on-one with the goalie.  It's not unwillingness; he's too wound up and always will be.  He should take a Xanax before games or something. 

This is one of the best scouting reports on Vanek I've seen. Vanek Face isn't that of someone who doesn't care. Again, people have to remember he's scored 318-some goals in the NHL. He's not a bum.

Of the group you mention, Vanek (31), Nash (30), Pominville (32), Parise (30) and St. Louis (39) are all north of 30. While it's true Getzlaf and Perry are 29 and so is Ovechkin, they are perennial monsters as is Hossa and Patrick Sharp. Crosby is an old 27 on a declining team. I find it interesting that players like Kucherov, Tarasenko, Tyler Johnson and Johnny Gaudreau and even Sam Bennett are having success in the playoffs. Overall the legs are the wolf and it depends on who you are surrounded with. I see unknown fresh young players having greater offensive roles than the older guards whose legs and/or hearts are dead by this time of year.

Good point. But while I agree that performance declines with age I don't think it drops that dramatically when they hit 30. I just picked a few big names off the top of my head to support my point which was (in my opinion) the game isn't rewarding the names we should be hearing on a regular basis. It's not so much that these guys aren't putting in an effort. I watched a bunch of Wild games down the stretch and they were really exciting. They should be the kind of team that dominates in the playoffs, but I think most of us knew they wouldn't last long once playoffs rolled around. And if a team builds for a playoff run they're going to be boring as hell to watch in the regular season. Something needs to change because it's only going to get worse. There is room in this league for scoring AND hard-hitting/physical teams and right now we're not getting either of them. 

Good point. But while I agree that performance declines with age I don't think it drops that dramatically when they hit 30. I just picked a few big names off the top of my head to support my point which was (in my opinion) the game isn't rewarding the names we should be hearing on a regular basis. It's not so much that these guys aren't putting in an effort. I watched a bunch of Wild games down the stretch and they were really exciting. They should be the kind of team that dominates in the playoffs, but I think most of us knew they wouldn't last long once playoffs rolled around. And if a team builds for a playoff run they're going to be boring as hell to watch in the regular season. Something needs to change because it's only going to get worse. There is room in this league for scoring AND hard-hitting/physical teams and right now we're not getting either of them. 

Maybe the players you mention really pile it up against "bums" but when push comes to shove and the overall competition is tougher, they can't do it individually and the team that surrounds them are put together in an inferior way. It's survival of the fittest and in hockey it's the ultimate team game.

Washington just got a goal improperly waived off, I think. Ward was standing still in front of the crease when Lundqvist came out of the crease and contact was made. The only motion Ward makes towards Henrik is caused by the Rangers players nudging him.

Bad call. Should be 1-0.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.