2015 NHL Playoffs - Round 2

Hoss

Dave Mishkin makes my skin crawl. That forced excitement in the form of his screaming nonsense is so over the top imo. Maybe I'm wrong but he's one of the worst in the game. Maybe in sports. I agree Espo is a laugh 

You'll love his call of the Lightning goal with 1.1 seconds left!

Thomas Vanek is now Toast Vanish.This Minneapolis Star-Tribune article puts the icing on the Austrian pastry: http://www.startribune.com/souhan-vanek-s-vanishing-act-a-glaring-flaw-for-wild/302862471/?recirculation=section&section=sports_wild

The problem is, the Wild picked him up in the twilight of his career. Thomas has never been an effort player. He now has even less stamina than he did in the early years. With all the controversy and tumult that has surrounded him, he has become hated wherever he goes. The playoffs are a different game altogether than the regular season. Vanish can't play up to the level of intense playoffs…He might be better off on a bottom feeder like Edmonton where he can collect gravy and not have to be bothered with the playoffs.

Pominville too is sadly lambasted in the comment section.

In Vanek's defense, he has been racking up assists and to me an assist is as good as a goal. This is being lost among Wild fans. But goals are what he's being paid for and he's not producing goals. Since being traded away from the Sabres, he has become an assist player. Somehow he hasn't been able to work himself into a position to score and the reflexes have slowed down, as well as his desire and passion.

Don't know what happened to Thomas Vanek. But  Pominville and Roy have gone south at about the same time too. It's the way of all flesh.

Edited by 716

Vanek and Pominville are still who we thought they were. Both were streaky at best this season. Not surprising. Vanek will always be the natural goal scorer who is only a force when combined with a strong center. And Pominville is an accessory that you plug into a heavy second line. Neither carry the play. It's just who they are.

The best thing about trading away Vanek, Pominville, Miller, and firing Lindy: it cleared the Sabrespace docket of tired polarized debates. Good luck Out there, Sabres alumni.

It's funny, at the start of the playoffs there were tons of former Sabres on the first round rosters. After this second round if things go as expected, there will be none.

Edited by 716

It's funny, at the start of the playoffs there were tons of former Sabres on the first round rosters. After this second round if things go as expected, there will be none.

Damn.

I was curious, so looking at the last 6 years (wikipedia before that isn't listing playoff rosters well for the teams) there's a former Sabres' name on the winning roster 4 times of the 6 (Satan, Campbell, Paille, and Regher). For the two missed years (2012 and 2013), Bernier, Tallinder, and Zubrus in 2012, and Paille in 2013 played for the losing SCF team. So a former Sabre in the finals each year.

All going by "playoff" roster, it's possible some (Tallider) didn't actually play in the SCF.

Vanek

Pominville

Stewart

Leopold

Ballard

Gaustad

Ott

Pardy

Stafford

Myers

Thorburn

Byron

Kassian

Miller

Mitchell 

Flynn

MacArthur

Boulton

Neuvirth

Halak

Moore

Ehrhoff

Nice article on the (lack) of playoff scoring: http://www.tsn.ca/where-have-all-the-goals-gone-1.277243

I had never seen scoring chance data before. It's not an official stat. Kudos to War on Ice, I guess, if they can pull those numbers from shot charts, based on the "home plate." Almost 60 scoring chances in the average NHL game seems high. I believe Lindy used to talk about trying to get 20 in a game.

Should tell us everything we need to know about the old guard.

I've seen some good games, and several stretches of terrific hockey.

But the league has a scoring proble - not just because of what's gone on in these playoffs.

I think it's just the Sabres dragging down the league average.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.