Your Profession - Maybe There Are Connections To Be Made!

CallawaySabres

Teaching physical education and coaching cross country and track. Love my job. Many kids do not realize what they are capable of. In fact, a number of them find a talent they never knew they had. What makes the job very enjoyable is when a kid sets a personal record in their event. The smile on their face is priceless. It has nothing to do w/ what place they come in. Another great thing about coaching is the indirect message of the importance of having a strong work ethic. Sure, many kids will realize they have to have complete dedication to reach their full potential in the event(s) they participate in. After doing this, they begin to apply it other parts of their life. And yes, that includes education. Teaching/coaching is a great job to have. 

Very cool.  The Long Green Line!

Will do Ink. FMB is really going strong right now and they're talking about a multi-year project to actually widen Estero Blvd, add real sidewalks and make it much more business-friendly.

Tony.

My family and I recently took that new flight on Allegiant, Niagara Falls - Punta Gorda direct for a reasonable price. Could be a game changer.

Very cool.  The Long Green Line!

My family and I recently took that new flight on Allegiant, Niagara Falls - Punta Gorda direct for a reasonable price. Could be a game changer.

Punts Gorda is gonna need more rental cars! . It's a great small airport. I've flown Allegiant out of there a few times but this new NF flight should be great for us the next time we come home. Really reasonable airfares if you can book in advance.

Tony.

CSI_pinball.jpg

Not in Las Vegas and it's not as cool as they make it look......

Confirm or deny:

Also: entry-level position at a Buffalo TV station. About 70% of the information you'll see on the show comes through me and/or the other two who work my position during other shifts. High stress, high risk, low pay.

Punts Gorda is gonna need more rental cars! . It's a great small airport. I've flown Allegiant out of there a few times but this new NF flight should be great for us the next time we come home. Really reasonable airfares if you can book in advance.

Tony.

Punta Gorda is where I fly out of (I live in Cape Haze). Just booked a fight from June 5-8 to Niagara Falls. The return flight is $62!!!How in the hell can you beat that??? Flight up is $105. Plus it is non-stop.

Also: entry-level position at a Buffalo TV station. About 70% of the information you'll see on the show comes through me and/or the other two who work my position during other shifts. High stress, high risk, low pay.

like most media jobs

Edited by dudacek

qwk, you know, if you tell us what you are studying when not washing dishes, someone might be able to help...

Yeah, I don't really know why I didn't come in seeking edification.  

I'm community colleging.  I was doing mech engineering and then shifted focus to programming.  Just finishing my first year of C++ and Java.  I'm gonna transfer to a SUNY school next year, probably between Buffalo, Bing, or Stony Brook.  Probably will go for comp sci, but I'm not ruling out engineering entirely.

Edited by qwksndmonster

I'm community colleging.  I was doing mech engineering and then shifted focus to programming.  Just finishing my first year of C++ and Java.  I'm gonna transfer to a SUNY school next year, probably between Buffalo, Bing, or Stony Brook.  Probably will go for comp sci, but I'm not ruling out engineering entirely.

I have both CompSci and EE. I'm not sure which I'd pick if I only had one. I think EE was a fair bit harder than CompSci but has probably opened doors. I don't think most employers would tell you "no, you can't have a programming job with an EE", although you should probably make sure to do some CS stuff on your own time to have you bases covered. That being said, I got both in 5 years at UB (three classes over summers) and there's overlap. It's a good thing to put on the resume if you can manage it.

Well you for not choosing my SUNY school  :P

Good on you for doing programming. I started out trying to be a lawyer, then found out getting a job at being a lawyer is very hard, very tedious (sorry for anyone who's a lawyer here). Programming's awesome, love it. 

Similar field.  Graduated in IT with database and web design.  Started my career in customer support and now a System Administrator (my job title but I don't completely agree with it).  Most of the work I do is in R & D.  Been designing custom control systems for my employer for the past few years using python and raspberry pi but originally started with just making applications in C# for fun.  Still do a decent amount of database work but mostly just for reporting.  

Manage a few other systems in our environment for inventory and customer tickets but that's mostly UI design.

How do you like your job?

Nice.

I have BS and MS in Mechanical Engineering.  But if I had known earlier what Computer Science was, I would have DEFINITELY gone for it.  If you want to program, just do CS!!  I've been slowly getting more on the software side of things, but it'd've been way easier if I'd just gotten a BS in CS.  And I'd be making a ton more money.

Oh and now I'm an engineering contractor, mostly software but getting my hands dirty in the mechanical and electrical side for sure.

Graduating in 2 weeks with a BS in Information Systems of Business, nit exactly sure what I want to do.... Video games and/or Hockey (sports in general) are ideal. Any ideas?

I came in 3rd place last year to get a PR internship with the Sabres... they hired 2.

Well they hired the wrong two. 

Graduating in 2 weeks with a BS in Information Systems of Business, nit exactly sure what I want to do.... Video games and/or Hockey (sports in general) are ideal. Any ideas?

I came in 3rd place last year to get a PR internship with the Sabres... they hired 2.

Dammit man. Get in there.

We need an insider.

Have learned that entry-level really means "you'll probably learn that you're nowhere near where you want to be."

Have a lot of other aspirations but nowhere near the money or connections to make them happen. Still dream of play by play with no clue how to get there without part-timing it which I can't afford.

I suppose I could make a serious post in this thread. Oddly enough, "your profession" has been my biggest struggle over the last, I don't know, decade or so?

I've got backgrounds in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing, Criminal Justice/Criminology, Geospatial Analysis, and I'm a certified Crime Analyst in New York State. I did a lot of work with live audio/production back in my high school days. I worked on and off for a company in Rochester that made CZ process silicon crystal growers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czochralski_process) for the solar and computer industry, almost finished a Master's Degree in Criminal Justice before RIT shut down my thesis because it was "damaging to the institution's relationship with the Rochester Police Department" which pretty much pulled the rug out from under me. 

I worked a real crap warehouse job for a while and was fortunate enough to have Inkman put a word in for me with his company and it allowed me to get into a better job in food manufacturing/ quality assurance, which I worked for about a year before deciding I needed to make a move to get myself back towards engineering. 

I'm just finishing up two semesters of course work at UB which I would call "exploratory". I left engineering studies at RIT in the spring of 2008, so making a move back to it after 6 years being removed from upper level math and science has been tough. The goal of these two semesters was to try to get my GPA in my technical courses up to a level that would allow me to petition for acceptance into UB's Civil Engineering program, but at this point I know I'm going to fall just short of that. I really did a lot of damage at RIT with respect to courses that I don't have an option to re-take. But this is probably for the best right now. My study habits and motivation are much stronger than they were during my time at RIT, but trying to work to survive and simultaneously achieve a level of academic excellence that I'm striving for isn't feasible. I was a Dean's list student during my Master's work so I know my capabilities, and I've done reasonably well with jumping back into 300 level math work. But time is a major limiting factor. Such is the rub of getting older. When I was young and had the time, I lacked motivation and capability. Now that I have those two qualities locked down, I don't have the time.  :rolleyes:

Fortunately, through some connections, I was able to land a gig doing residential installation site planning for a solar panel installer here in the Buffalo area. I've been there part time since January but I'll be moving to full time in a few weeks and I hope to stay here for a while. I'm excited to be working in solar again and I think it's the field where I want to make my "profession". 

I'd like to get my engineering degree someday, that is my ultimate goal. But I have to be careful not to get too quixotic with my choices in life. I've got Josie and her career to keep in mind too, plus, you know, living life. 

Edited by d4rksabre

I suppose I could make a serious post in this thread. Oddly enough, "your profession" has been my biggest struggle over the last, I don't know, decade or so?

I've got backgrounds in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing, Criminal Justice/Criminology, Geospatial Analysis, and I'm a certified Crime Analyst in New York State. I did a lot of work with live audio/production back in my high school days. I worked on and off for a company in Rochester that made CZ process silicon crystal growers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czochralski_process) for the solar and computer industry, almost finished a Master's Degree in Criminal Justice before RIT shut down my thesis because it was "damaging to the institution's relationship with the Rochester Police Department" which pretty much pulled the rug out from under me. 

I worked a real crap warehouse job for a while and was fortunate enough to have Inkman put a word in for me with his company and it allowed me to get into a better job in food manufacturing/ quality assurance, which I worked for about a year before deciding I needed to make a move to get myself back towards engineering. 

I'm just finishing up two semesters of course work at UB which I would call "exploratory". I left engineering studies at RIT in the spring of 2008, so making a move back to it after 6 years being removed from upper level math and science has been tough. The goal of these two semesters was to try to get my GPA in my technical courses up to a level that would allow me to petition for acceptance into UB's Civil Engineering program, but at this point I know I'm going to fall just short of that. I really did a lot of damage at RIT with respect to courses that I don't have an option to re-take. But this is probably for the best right now. My study habits and motivation are much stronger than they were during my time at RIT, but trying to work to survive and simultaneously achieve a level of academic excellence that I'm striving for isn't feasible. I was a Dean's list student during my Master's work so I know my capabilities, and I've done reasonably well with jumping back into 300 level math work. But time is a major limiting factor. Such is the rub of getting older. When I was young and had the time, I lacked motivation and capability. Now that I have those two qualities locked down, I don't have the time.  :rolleyes:

Fortunately, through some connections, I was able to land a gig doing residential installation site planning for a solar panel installer here in the Buffalo area. I've been there part time since January but I'll be moving to full time in a few weeks and I hope to stay here for a while. I'm excited to be working in solar again and I think it's the field where I want to make my "profession". 

I'd like to get my engineering degree someday, that is my ultimate goal. But I have to be careful not to get too quixotic with my choices in life. I've got Josie and her career to keep in mind too, plus, you know, living life. 

When I was in school, a friend of mine managed to petition to have some classes removed from his transcript for GPA purposes. He was more separated from his "party" days (1983 to 1996, if I remember right). I assume you already have, but make sure to talk to the department office to make the case that who you were in 2008 isn't who you aren't now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.