Nolan releases statement thanking everyone for his opportunity...except Murray.

dejeanneret

According to WGR550

http://www.wgr550.com/Nolan-has-a-statement/21361796

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank Kim and Terry Pegula, Pat Lafontaine, my coaches and the Sabres management, players, medical, training, arena and public relations staff for all of their support over the past two seasons. Above all, I want to thank the fans and the beautiful people of Buffalo!   THANK YOU BUFFALO!!!  Yours in spirit, Ted.”

Hmmm...If Teddy wants another NHL job its wise of him to play cool on this one.  But you know he is burning inside right now and wants to publicly rip Murray.

Pretty telling (but not surprising) that he mentions LaFontaine, but no Murray.   Wasn't Murray the one that offered him the 3 year deal and changed his title from interim to full time after LaFontaine left???   Interesting.

I don't think this will be the end, nor end well when its all said and done.  I think the truth will come out at some point about what really happened this year between Murray and Nolan. The question is when.

Bottom line, Murray said he entered player interviews with an open mind about Nolan's status.  Although he deflected blame on the players, its obvious what he got out of the interviews was the need for a change.  That's more on the players and less on Murray.

And with Gorges article in Buffalo News that outlined how some players didn't come in to work with a professional attitude, sounds to me like he was one of the guys that felt a change was needed.

Edited by dejeanneret

I had seen that he put out a statement but didn't take the time to read it. The fact that he didn't mention Murray is extremely telling. Murray held a presser in which he both made a couple comments against Nolan and gave him props for his work...

It seems he went out of his way to make a statement that doesn't include Murray. That's cold. Warranted? Quite possibly, but cold none the less. Hopefully nobody calls Teddy to get an opinion on working with Timmy.

According to WGR550

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank Kim and Terry Pegula, Pat Lafontaine, my coaches and the Sabres management, players, medical, training, arena and public relations staff for all of their support over the past two seasons. Above all, I want to thank the fans and the beautiful people of Buffalo!   THANK YOU BUFFALO!!!  Yours in spirit, Ted.”

Hmmm...If Teddy wants another NHL job its wise of him to play cool on this one.  But you know he is burning inside right now and wants to publicly rip Murray.

Pretty telling (but not surprising) that he mentions LaFontaine, but no Murray.   Wasn't Murray the one that offered him the 3 year deal and changed his title from interim to full time after LaFontaine left???   Interesting.

I don't think this will be the end, nor end well when its all said and done.  I think the truth will come out at some point about what really happened this year between Murray and Nolan. The question is when.

Bottom line, Murray said he entered player interviews with an open mind about Nolan's status.  Although he deflected blame on the players, its obvious what he got out of the interviews was the need for a change.  That's more on the players and less on Murray.

And with Gorges article in Buffalo News that outlined how some players didn't come in to work with a professional attitude, sounds to me like he was one of the guys that felt a change was needed.

It's over and done. Murray couldn't care less what Nolan says. He's moving on and Nolan won't coach in NHL again

When TM crashes and burns for picking a coach that can licks his cahoonas but not coach and Gorges turns on this guy too Nolan will be back, or he fires one for disagreeing with him because the guy can actually coach and TM doesn't know what he is doing, LaFontaine and Nolan will be back.

Edited by North Buffalo

When TM crashes and burns for picking a coach that can licks his cahoonas but not coach and Gorges turns on this guy too Nolan will be back, or he fires one for disagreeing with him because the guy can actually coach and TM doesn't know what he is doing, LaFontaine and Nolan will be back.

Care to wager anything?

I don't think this will be the end, nor end well when its all said and done.

It's over and done. Murray couldn't care less what Nolan says. He's moving on and Nolan won't coach in NHL again

I't so over and done, but not because Murray couldn't care less what Nolan says; if it really is over and done, it's because Nolan is a class act who won't take a dump on the Sabres--recognizing that the whole is not represented by one GM.

I't so over and done, but not because Murray couldn't care less what Nolan says; if it really is over and done, it's because Nolan is a class act who won't take a dump on the Sabres--recognizing that the whole is not represented by one GM.

Yes, I get it St Ted is loved here...not sure why but he is......and it is because Murray couldn't care less....he is already past this and looking at the draft and next coach. Nolan won't take a dump on the Sabres because they are the only organization willing to hire him. He's made a lot of money coaching here and most likely won't get another HC job in this league.

I'm guessing that the non-disclosure agreement he probably had to sign in order to receive the millions in salary owed to him for the next two years might have something to do with it as well.

I actually think this statement by Ted will not be used against him for future job openings. Everyone with half a brain in the NHL knows the moves TMGM made before this season, and in-season, were strategically done to support the full mission of the tank while giving a modest perception that he was trying to make the Sabres mildly competitive. Once this die was cast, everyone knows Teddy was set up to fail and he had to know that was part of the gig.

If you looked at TMGM's verbiage and body language in the presser announcing Ted's firing, his posture was very smarmy and defensive. In no way can Ted's thank you statement be viewed as a "GM killer" type of attack; it is all about self-preservation. Hopefully he'll land on his feet somewhere. This is twice he's gotten the shaft from the Sabres or-gan-eye-zation.

Ted was and is a good man...the type of guy you would be proud to have your daughter marry.

Sucks things didn't work out here, but this is now the 3rd time he has had issues with management...perhaps he is too strong and vocal in sticking to his beliefs, and that rubs some the wrong way...not sure exactly what happened but perhaps it was just as Murray described...they were just OK...didn't have a like or dislike for each other, just wasn't a good fit. That stuff happens, it doesn't mean someone is to blame, it's just life...kind of like when you meet a woman...sometimes you click and sometimes you don't...

Edited by matter2003

Ted was only hired by one GM; Jonh Muckler. The Isles owner hired him, and then Pat hired him in Buffalo. For whatever reason Ted doesn't see eye-to-eye with the GMs he's worked for, which is fine but costs him jobs. He was given an extension which he signed to get Buffalo through the tank, and he either disagreed with or didn't understand the team plan. But in the end he has a nice compensation package that would last most of us the rest of our lives, and he'll have time to work on the business venture he's starting with his sons.

Yes, I get it St Ted is loved here...not sure why but he is......and it is because Murray couldn't care less....he is already past this and looking at the draft and next coach. Nolan won't take a dump on the Sabres because they are the only organization willing to hire him. He's made a lot of money coaching here and most likely won't get another HC job in this league.

Were you around in the 90's or lived in Buffalo for a long period of time?  If not, that is your explanation for why you "don't get it".  People love him because they can identify with his principles, and they'd like to think those principles represent Buffalo.  You may not care about that sort of thing, but respect the fact other people do.

Were you around in the 90's or lived in Buffalo for a long period of time?  If not, that is your explanation for why you "don't get it".  People love him because they can identify with his principles, and they'd like to think those principles represent Buffalo.  You may not care about that sort of thing, but respect the fact other people do.

Yes i was around but one of the few that thought he is an overrated coach. I don't hate the guy, just don't think he's a good coach.

could not have said it better, Nolan a class act from A to Z, and  throwing anyone under the bus, is just not his style, cheers to you Ted and all the best in your future

Murray said nothing damning about Ted Sunday. Ted said nothing damning here.

I think Ted is the fifth coach fired this year and he won't be the last.

Ted is a good man. He will survive.

It's the NHL guys. Nothing unusual to see here.

According to WGR550

Sorry, not seeing where that note is a swipe at TM. Is it also a swipe at TB and the scouting staff? TB wasn't mentioned by name either and the scouts could be parsed into a group that doesn't include "Sabres management, ..., training ... staff" if one tries hard enough.

The letter is nearly boiler plate: "thank you guy (& gal) that paid (& will continue to pay) me, guy that hired me, everybody else in order of where they fall on the pecking order, and fans, and even resident non-fans."

If he does start naming more people individually, then there is even more parsing of the statement. A lot of people loved TN, a lot felt he wasn't the right guy to lead them forward, and those 2 sets have a lot of overlap. Apparently TM & TN didn't see eye to eye. Both seem to be refraining from throwing the other under the bus. But, IMHO, it seems a lot (well, at least several, if not 'a lot') want to see them throw each other under the bus. It makes for good theater in a trainwreck sort of way, but that's the only plus of them doing it. (Again, IMHO, not much of a plus; at least not worth the damage it would inflict.)

Don't expect to see KP play the Jean Knox role this time nor the rally in the park.

And aside to TN - thanks for, once again, giving it your best shot.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.