Nolan releases statement thanking everyone for his opportunity...except Murray.

dejeanneret

could not have said it better, Nolan a class act from A to Z, and  throwing anyone under the bus, is just not his style, cheers to you Ted and all the best in your future

Unless it's players he calls out by name in press conferences for not trying hard enough or having the "compete" to satisfy him. I really like Nolan overall but part of me is relieved that we most likely won't be seeing our blue chip prospects demoted to the 4th line and given 10 minutes of TOI now that he's gone.

Unless it's players he calls out by name in press conferences for not trying hard enough or having the "compete" to satisfy him. I really like Nolan overall but part of me is relieved that we most likely won't be seeing our blue chip prospects demoted to the 4th line and given 10 minutes of TOI now that he's gone.

Someday the Buffalo Nolans WILL win the cup and when they hand Teddy the cup to skate around the ice - you better stand down.

Someday the Buffalo Nolans WILL win the cup and when they hand Teddy the cup to skate around the ice - you better stand down.

that would be a "gloried" day indeed, hope I  get to witness that event  :worthy:  :worthy:  :worthy:

Sorry, not seeing where that note is a swipe at TM. Is it also a swipe at TB and the scouting staff? TB wasn't mentioned by name either and the scouts could be parsed into a group that doesn't include "Sabres management, ..., training ... staff" if one tries hard enough.

The letter is nearly boiler plate: "thank you guy (& gal) that paid (& will continue to pay) me, guy that hired me, everybody else in order of where they fall on the pecking order, and fans, and even resident non-fans."

If he does start naming more people individually, then there is even more parsing of the statement. A lot of people loved TN, a lot felt he wasn't the right guy to lead them forward, and those 2 sets have a lot of overlap. Apparently TM & TN didn't see eye to eye. Both seem to be refraining from throwing the other under the bus. But, IMHO, it seems a lot (well, at least several, if not 'a lot') want to see them throw each other under the bus. It makes for good theater in a trainwreck sort of way, but that's the only plus of them doing it. (Again, IMHO, not much of a plus; at least not worth the damage it would inflict.)

Don't expect to see KP play the Jean Knox role this time nor the rally in the park.

And aside to TN - thanks for, once again, giving it your best shot.

I want to know why Ted has such a problem with Rip Simoneck.

Now this is an example of a swipe:

'After his a 15-minute exit interview with Berube at the team's practice facility in Voorhees, Lecavalier basically said the two could not coexist if the coach returns.

"It's fair to say," said Lecavalier when asked if his best chance to be successful was to stay here if Berube is fired or move elsewhere if the coach returns.'

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Sounds-like-Flyers-Lecavalier-and-Berube-wont-be-together.html#xMs9o5wmf5Djydoh.99

Sorry, not seeing where that note is a swipe at TM. Is it also a swipe at TB and the scouting staff? TB wasn't mentioned by name either and the scouts could be parsed into a group that doesn't include "Sabres management, ..., training ... staff" if one tries hard enough.

The letter is nearly boiler plate: "thank you guy (& gal) that paid (& will continue to pay) me, guy that hired me, everybody else in order of where they fall on the pecking order, and fans, and even resident non-fans."

If he does start naming more people individually, then there is even more parsing of the statement. A lot of people loved TN, a lot felt he wasn't the right guy to lead them forward, and those 2 sets have a lot of overlap. Apparently TM & TN didn't see eye to eye. Both seem to be refraining from throwing the other under the bus. But, IMHO, it seems a lot (well, at least several, if not 'a lot') want to see them throw each other under the bus. It makes for good theater in a trainwreck sort of way, but that's the only plus of them doing it. (Again, IMHO, not much of a plus; at least not worth the damage it would inflict.)

Don't expect to see KP play the Jean Knox role this time nor the rally in the park.

And aside to TN - thanks for, once again, giving it your best shot.

I just realized: he didn't specifically thank non-resident fans. That ######, I hate Teddy! I hate hate hate him! :P

When TM crashes and burns for picking a coach that can licks his cahoonas but not coach and Gorges turns on this guy too Nolan will be back, or he fires one for disagreeing with him because the guy can actually coach and TM doesn't know what he is doing, LaFontaine and Nolan will be back.

That's some deep fantasy right there.  Neither one will be back.

The ZFG attitude of Murray means that he's not tied to past Sabres history.  I think for the Sabres to move forward as a franchise, they have to get past a lot of history that was holding them back.  Putting an outsider (Murray) in charge of things was the right move.  He's not beholden to Sabres history and tradition; he is only here to build a winning team.  LaFontaine won't be back.  Nolan won't be back.  Love the guys, thanks for the memories, but that chapter in Sabres history is finally and irrevocably closed.

Ted was and is a good man...the type of guy you would be proud to have your daughter marry.

I've never, ever, ever gotten that vibe from him.  He's never struck me as particularly intelligent or trustworthy or classy.  It seems like he has trouble maintaining working relationships.  In his two tenures with the Sabres, that's the only conclusion I can draw.

You may not care about that sort of thing, but respect the fact other people do.

Why?

Yes i was around but one of the few that thought he is an overrated coach. I don't hate the guy, just don't think he's a good coach.

This.

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

In 5 years Ted Nolan will be more loved in this town than Tim Murray.

That is more a knock on Murray than a compliment to Nolan. After this past press conference I question if Murray has what it takes to be a long term GM in this league. He looked and sounded like he was in over his head.

Edited by sicknfla

I wouldn't be surprised, but I'll never understand it

He was never the right guy for the job. I don't blame Murray for firing him but I do blame Murray for giving him the new contact. He had worked with TN long enough to know if they could work together or not. Murray used TN. Now Murray is going to wimp out and try to use different reasons for why he let him go. It is bush league, and IMO, the first of what may be many times that we question Murray.

I don't feel bad for TN being gone. I feel bad for how it was handled. It makes the organization look bad again.

I't so over and done, but not because Murray couldn't care less what Nolan says; if it really is over and done, it's because Nolan is a class act who won't take a dump on the Sabres--recognizing that the whole is not represented by one GM.

It is funny that you should use this phrase given the rumor from his first stint regarding Muckler's desk (if I recall correctly).

He was never the right guy for the job. I don't blame Murray for firing him but I do blame Murray for giving him the new contact. He had worked with TN long enough to know if they could work together or not. Murray used TN. Now Murray is going to wimp out and try to use different reasons for why he let him go. It is bush league, and IMO, the first of what may be many times that we question Murray.

I don't feel bad for TN being gone. I feel bad for how it was handled. It makes the organization look bad again.

Nobody thinks the organization looks bad for firing a coach that the GM didn't hire.  

Nobody thinks the organization looks bad for firing a coach that the GM didn't hire.  

Agreed.

Others have said it and so have I: IMO, Nolan knew what he was signing up for, and got a very nice payday out of it all. It doesn't reflect poorly on the organization at all, and Nolan has no reason to complain.

Edited by WildCard

I would step down but my blue collar work ethic just won't allow me to do that. I watched Teds Nolans when I was in high school and it ingrained into me the spirit of compete, hard work, and dedication, so standing down just isn't an option.

I would step down but my blue collar work ethic just won't allow me to do that. I watched Teds Nolans when I was in high school and it ingrained into me the spirit of compete, hard work, and dedication, so standing down just isn't an option.

:lol:

Probably true but Nolan had these guys playing hard. And with what he had to work with what more could he really do? So, again, I guess it falls back to why did Murray give him the new deal in the first place?

I know Pegula has the money but what the hell were they thinking? They basically gave the guy 3 years worth of money to be a one year pawn.

Probably true but Nolan had these guys playing hard. And with what he had to work with what more could he really do? So, again, I guess it falls back to why did Murray give him the new deal in the first place?

I know Pegula has the money but what the hell were they thinking? They basically gave the guy 3 years worth of money to be a one year pawn.

TM gave Nolan a golden parachute.  Seems like an overly-classy way of thanking him for dealing with the tank.

Agreed.

Others have said it and so have I: IMO, Nolan knew what he was signing up for, and got a very nice payday out of it all. It doesn't reflect poorly on the organization at all, and Nolan has no reason to complain.

He absolutely knew what he signed up for. He hit the lotto when these guys offered him the 3 year deal. Truth be known he probably would rather sit at home and collect TP's cash then to be a part of this soap opera.

Probably why he was so adamant to go against the plan. That is the only part that bugs me. TN very much coached like he didn't care about draft position. TM very much did his job like he only cared about draft position. Now Murray is going to try to act like it was somewhat on Nolan for finishing 30th? That is horseshit on Murray's part.

Edited by sicknfla

Looks bad to whom? A small-segment of fans? Nolan is leaving with very favorable terms.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.