The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

If Pegs hires Babcock and doubles the HC salary of any other NHL coach, my guess is that he is going to piss off a lot of other owners.  Won't bother me, and not even sure if it matters much if he gets along with other owners, but throwing the coaching salary structure out of whack is bound to bother at least some of them.

I found a good post of hfboards earlier but forgot to post it. The other above posts are correct: before there was a draft, teams ran junior teams and your rights were pretty much assigned to the team who owned your team. No draft, so players were courted young, I think I saw Bobby Orr signed with the Bruins when he was 11 (!!!!).  At the time, if you were good an NHL team would find you and you'd sign with them. The draft in 1964 apparently only applied to unsigned kids, so it took a few years until the young, signed ones to percolate out of the system. There were still some protections for local players to teams until 1969. It seems like 1970 was the first year the draft was truly open to all teams and players could go anywhere.

I've always looked at the Montreal Canadians, New York Yankees, Boston Celtics and Pittsburgh Steelers as the model franchises in professional sports.

They have the most championships of any other teams in their respective sports/leagues.

The other owners might be ticked off about the Pegula having the highest paid coach and the fact the Sabres receive revenue sharing. That is what the CBA states so too bad.

NHL Coaches deserve to be paid more, look at Joel Quenville he has won two cups and is positioned for a third and gets 2.75 Million per year.

I realize the NFL makes a lot more money, but Doug Marrone who's best record at Syracuse was 7-5 made 4 million per year. That's ridiculous

If Pegs hires Babcock and doubles the HC salary of any other NHL coach, my guess is that he is going to piss off a lot of other owners.  Won't bother me, and not even sure if it matters much if he gets along with other owners, but throwing the coaching salary structure out of whack is bound to bother at least some of them.

I'm sure some owners would be pissed off, maybe most of them.

But what is the point of being a multi-billionaire if you can't light cigars with 100 dollar bills!?

This is the real power of Pegula's wealth. It's not about player salary because that is all capped anyway.

It's the intangible stuff.  Like paying your coach $4 million more per year than he would get with any other franchise, or building up the best/most expensive scouting department in the league, having the best training facilities, and so on.

The stuff that isn't capped, but money can buy.

I'd just love to see Babcock in Buffalo, especially if it's because Pegula throws a ridiculous sum his way.

It will feel good to be one of the "haves" for a change!

Edited by Kruppstahl

Or that was the first year Montreal didn't have dibs any more. :)

I took a look at Montreal's seasons since 1970:

- I didn't realize the run they were on from 67-80. Am I reading that right, they had 8 cups in 13 years? Yikes!

- If you take the "we get dibs" effect out (they presumably got good FC kids in 67-69 and those kids played well for the Habs through the 70s) and start with 1980, they have only two cups.

They won 10 cups from 65 to 79....10 out of 15, not bad. There stars weren't all FC....Dryden, Gainey, Shutt, Robinson, etc...Sammy Pollock was a VERY good GM and made some smart trades too. Just think of some of the farm teams back then when there weren't that many teams in the NHL....there must have been some great players down there.

If I had one more hockey game to see the rest of my life it would be a cold, snowy, Saturday night in Montreal. It doesn't get any better than that.

The second best day of my life (obviously the top day was my wedding day) was when my wife and I saw our most recent Canadiens game.  It was some time ago now (about 20 years) and was at the Forum.

That team and building just oozed history.  Nothing like it in the sports world, IMO.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

The second best day of my life (obviously the top day was my wedding day) was when my wife and I saw our most recent Canadiens game.  It was some time ago now (about 20 years) and was at the Forum.

That team and building just oozed history.  Nothing like it in the sports world, IMO.

I caught a game at the Bell Centre about 4 years ago against the 'Hawks.  Paid $125 for a seat 3 rows from the top.  Easily the most enjoyable game I've ever attended.  

The other owners might be ticked off about the Pegula having the highest paid coach and the fact the Sabres receive revenue sharing. That is what the CBA states so too bad.

NHL Coaches deserve to be paid more, look at Joel Quenville he has won two cups and is positioned for a third and gets 2.75 Million per year.

I realize the NFL makes a lot more money, but Doug Marrone who's best record at Syracuse was 7-5 made 4 million per year. That's ridiculous

There's a reason it is called revenue sharing and not profit sharing.  The rest of the owners will have no issue whatsoever with the Sabres paying Babcock.

I saw the Sabres at Centre Bell many years ago. I wore my old AHL Bisons jersey. Habs fans are nothing if not hockey smart. I was stopped by dozens of fans who knew my jersey and could name players from that team. 

Marc Bergevin says there will be no coaching change in Montreal. Big sigh of relief on that one.

Yes, that is big because Habs would have been a GREAT opening for Babcock. With Buffalo, Philly and Detroit as the big 3 right now, I really have to believe that Buffalo is the front runner.

Montreal is in a spot where they don't need a coach to put them over the top.  They're already overachieving, in my opinion.  Unless they get some significant help up front, they're at their ceiling already.  So that all falls on the GM, not the coach.

Montreal is in a spot where they don't need a coach to put them over the top.  They're already overachieving, in my opinion.  Unless they get some significant help up front, they're at their ceiling already.  So that all falls on the GM, not the coach.

I really agree. They pose match-up problems for a lot of teams. But that really isn't a team built for the distance. 

Agreed Montreal just like Minnesota, has maxed out their potential.  Coaching isn't going to help them enough.  

What the hell is Dave Tippet doing? He's highly thought of everywhere and I thought he had an out clause. I would get away from that mess as they will be shooting for bottom again and the hope of winning the lottery for the Arizona kid.

I also believe we are a frontrunner but do not want to have my heart set on Babcock in case we are not successful. I had high hopes when Bowman joined the Sabres so I've seen first hand how the coach alone does not guarantee anything.

Lots of people say he is into win now mode but he is still young and could help a rebuild. There would be satisfaction in taking a last place club to the playoffs and then growing into a contender within a few years. Granted, we may not make the playoffs, but that would be their goal if he is hired. It would make this team more desirable for free agents and for players to waive their no movement clauses.

What the hell is Dave Tippet doing? He's highly thought of everywhere and I thought he had an out clause. I would get away from that mess as they will be shooting for bottom again and the hope of winning the lottery for the Arizona kid.

Dreger said that the reports of him having an out clause were false.

Dreger said that the reports of him having an out clause were false.

Didn't catch that. poor bastard. Talk about a guy who the rug pulled out from under him.

Any coach who embraces the thought of being known as one of the best ever would embrace the change and the challenge.

And of course we all know Cherry is a has been loud mouth at this point