The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Per Paul Hamilton the major pitch for Babcock reported by Friedman was delivered when he here on Sunday.

I don't think this is an actual report. I think Hammy boy is just being pissy that the national media is reporting on his team. Friedman didn't say that the major pitch happened now. I'm sure that the major pitch happened when he visited Buffalo, but the pitch probably didn't stop there. I'm sure there's an ongoing pursuit.

Am I the only one that thinks Babcock isn't necessarily worth all the hype?

I'd be very happy with Babcock.

But the love child and Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman wearing Punch Imlach's fedora ain't worth the hype.

I'd be very happy with Babcock.

But the love child and Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman wearing Punch Imlach's fedora ain't worth the hype.

I don't think I have a problem with it either, but all the hype reminds me of the Brad Richards and Mike Shanahan days. Many were disappointed they didn't come to BFLO yet it ended up working out for the best. Babcock has a history of success in Detroit, 8 straight years in the playoffs? Until you consider the Red Wings made the playoffs 16 straight years before he got there. 

I don't think I have a problem with it either, but all the hype reminds me of the Brad Richards and Mike Shanahan days. Many were disappointed they didn't come to BFLO yet it ended up working out for the best.

How in the world did it work out for the best? The Bills and Sabres were both terrible after failing to get those guys.

It's probably Richardson. I am the only one who feels like going from Babcock to Richardson would be like going from taking to the head cheerleader to the prom to taking a cousin instead?

Actually, I'd be excited about Richardson too. I'm trying to think, but probably the only guy younger than him that has played more NHL games is Jagr. Richardson would pretty much throw hands with anyone too, though he wouldnt go looking for it. 

Here's him and Brad May

Edited by X. Benedict

I don't think this is an actual report. I think Hammy boy is just being pissy that the national media is reporting on his team. Friedman didn't say that the major pitch happened now. I'm sure that the major pitch happened when he visited Buffalo, but the pitch probably didn't stop there. I'm sure there's an ongoing pursuit.

"Now it's believed that the Sabres are putting together a big pitch," ...

"Now" could be just a throwaway word, like starting a sentence with "Well." But the present tense "are" seems to be saying the big pitch is new.

Actually, I'd be excited about Richardson too. I'm trying to think, but probably the only guy younger than him that has played more NHL games is Jagr. Richardson would pretty much throw hands with anyone too, though he wouldnt go looking for it. 

Here's him and Brad May

I miss Brad May. 

Luke Richardson is 46 and has never coached an NHL game.

Dan Bylsma is 44, has 250 wins, a Stanley Cup, coached international, played the game as well like Richardson but as a smaller guy, uses analytics, film breakdown, and positive reenforcement on his players, and his nickname is Disco Dan for the love of all that is holy.

If you hire Richardson over Bylsma, you might as well open up a Sbarro next to Chef's too.......

How in the world did it work out for the best? The Bills and Sabres were both terrible after failing to get those guys.

Point taken, but I think JJ's point was that Richards and Shanahan didn't exactly find success at their ultimate destinations.

Point taken, but I think JJ's point was that Richards and Shanahan didn't exactly find success at their ultimate destinations.

So who did it turn out the best for?

Eleven is right about my point. Pegula wined and dined these two because at the time they were the biggest and most hyped guys available. The Redskins went on to be a laughing stock and Richards went on to perform a disappearing act that would make Ville Leino proud. The Bills and Sabres were both terrible after failing to sign these guys but it had nothing to do with missing out on them. Shanahan was regarded as highly as Babcock is now because of his long term success. Then people found out it might have had a lot more to do with the Broncos front office than it did the coach. Hence my point about the Red Wings making the playoffs 16 straight years before Babcock got there. 

Slight correction: it was Ralph who chased Shanahan, not Pegula.

Anyway I do think Babcock has gotten overhyped if only because the hype has been incredible and he is, after all, still just a coach. However, he's unquestionably amongst the elite at his position, so it's deserved in that sense.

Slight correction: it was Ralph who chased Shanahan, not Pegula.

Anyway I do think Babcock has gotten overhyped if only because the hype has been incredible and he is, after all, still just a coach. However, he's unquestionably amongst the elite at his position, so it's deserved in that sense.

My bad, I really should proofread. My brain is faster than my fingers. But it should be noted Shanahan was considered 'elite' too. I'm not saying Babcock will be a bust, I just think it's really not worth the hype. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

My bad, I really should proofread. But it should be noted Shanahan was considered 'elite' too. I'm not saying Babcock will be a bust, I just think it's really not worth the hype.

Maybe it's not, but Shanahan was a 500 coach without Elway. The Red Wings have been bleeding talent and getting old for 5 years now, and they're still churning out 100 point seasons and maintaining pretty damn good possession numbers. That's gotta count for something.

Maybe it's not, but Shanahan was a 500 coach without Elway. The Red Wings have been bleeding talent and getting old for 5 years now, and they're still churning out 100 point seasons and maintaining pretty damn good possession numbers. That's gotta count for something.

It does, what Babcock did with all the injuries last year was impressive. But they've been churning out 100+ point seasons at the same rate since 1991. One could also argue that their playoff success was greater before Babcock since 1991. 

It does, what Babcock did with all the injuries last year was impressive. But they've been churning out 100+ point seasons at the same rate since 1991. One could also argue that their playoff success was greater before Babcock since 1991.

1. The coach before him was Scotty Bowman, who has won more Cups than anyone and is arguably the greatest coach in the history of the National Hockey League.

2. I think the Red Wings teams before he got there were more talented. If you look at those older Wings teams, I think like half the roster is in the Hall of Fame.

I'm not saying you can't make a comparison, but that is an incredibly high bar. Plus, it demonstrates to me when Babcock is given a talented roster, he can get the most out of it.