The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Super careful with his words, but I think there are tells that indicate he is closing the door on the Wing chapter of his life.

This quote especially, talking about the Detroit ownership/management: "I'm as excited as anyone to have that opportunity come to a close and make a decision now. It's been good, but its time to make a decision and get on with things here."

To me, it just sounds likes he's made a decision. Nothing else. Who knows what that decision is, but he's prepared to live with it and get on with his life. He's making no indication one way or another. And, I'm glad because I think everyone on this board is ready to move on from this.

When he says he's "excited as anyone to have that opportunity come to a close...", he's talking about having the ability as a free agent to sniff around for other opportunities. He's had his chance, but now it's over.

If I'm GMTM, I'm on the phone with Blashill's agent with a $3 million per year offer. F Detroit.

Edited by kas23

Dreger just tweeted that TSN will air an exclusive interview, taped in Prague, with both Holland and Babcock about the Red Wings future, etc. Supposed to cover a variety of subjects.

Hard to believe that Babcock would agree to this if he wasn't going to stay in DET.

Sadly I agree with you. I think he's staying in Detroit.

Time to seriously consider Bylsma and perhaps DeBoer. I think I'd rather have one of those 2 than a first-timer.

Wish I could see this, but haven't found a linky yet.  Are they showing it on the NHL network, or something, how is everyone else getting to see this.  Am I stupid and just not looking in the right place.  Hello?  Testing...1...2...3...

Wish I could see this, but haven't found a linky yet.  Are they showing it on the NHL network, or something, how is everyone else getting to see this.  Am I stupid and just not looking in the right place.  Hello?  Testing...1...2...3...

http://www.tsn.ca/video/babcock-discusses-coaching-future-1.284054

Shouldn't have any geo-blocks on.

To me, it just sounds likes he's made a decision. Nothing else. Who knows what that decision is, but he's prepared to live with it and get on with his life. He's making no indication one way or another. And, I'm glad because I think everyone on this board is ready to move on from this.

When he says he's "excited as anyone to have that opportunity come to a close...", he's talking about having the ability as a free agent to sniff around for other opportunities. He's had his chance, but now it's over.

If I'm GMTM, I'm on the phone with Blashill's agent with a $3 million per year offer. F Detroit.

I'm with you. I think Babcock comes to Buffalo, but if he stays in Detroit, then they have to let Blashill go. They might ask for a 4th or a 5th, but who cares? They can't keep him with Babcock being locked up for the future. He obviously can develop young players.

To me, he didn't look and sound like a guy who is leaving.

Kenny Holland didn't look so sure though.

Part of me says if it is that hard for him to leave, I worry about his focus here when/if the "instant gratification" doesn't come. (Probably nothing a press conference at the FN Centre wouldn't fix though :P ). That quote sounded like he's not ready for a non-playoff team unless that team clearly has better future than the Wings.

I guess we will know how much he likes the young Sabres in few days.

I will say though that I am starting to believe Eichel/Kane/O'Reilly/Babcock/new veteran defenceman would be enough to put us back in the playoff race again. Too bad we are only going to get two or three of them.

Edited by dudacek

So I finally got a chance to watch the video, as opposed to reading second-hand accounts. Honestly, he looks like a guy who is legitimately torn to me. On the one hand he seems to really understand how good he's had it in Detroit and who appreciates the working relationship he's had with Holland, and is very hesitant to leave that for a maybe. On the other hand, reading the body language and a few choice quotes, I thought I saw a guy genuinely intrigued and possibly motivated by the idea of a new challenge--I wouldn't want to say he's bored by Detroit, but there's a part of him that's ready for something different. The quotes I'm looking at are "There's different jobs, but no better job" and in midst of a long winded answer something like "does going somewhere else invigorate you." I really don't think he knows yet, and I think we've got coin flip odds right now.

So I finally got a chance to watch the video, as opposed to reading second-hand accounts. Honestly, he looks like a guy who is legitimately torn to me. On the one hand he seems to really understand how good he's had it in Detroit and who appreciates the working relationship he's had with Holland, and is very hesitant to leave that for a maybe. On the other hand, reading the body language and a few choice quotes, I thought I saw a guy genuinely intrigued and possibly motivated by the idea of a new challenge--I wouldn't want to say he's bored by Detroit, but there's a part of him that's ready for something different. The quotes I'm looking at are "There's different jobs, but no better job" and in midst of a long winded answer something like "does going somewhere else invigorate you." I really don't think he knows yet, and I think we've got coin flip odds right now.

"When the season ended, the first thing I asked Kenny [Holland] is, 'Have I worn out my welcome here?'"

Sorry guys, ive been super busy so this may have been discussed. I heard theres a "in the know" guy on another forum (sabres fans i think) who claims Babcock to Buffalo is a done deal. Guess hes been right in the past. Anyone have any info on that?

Im not a member there. But im sure some of you cheat on SS and frequent over there... lol

A half-hour of internet research and i am convinced he is coming here.

I go back to Drane's I-love-Disco-Dan thread, where he talks about guys willing to take risks and do things their way.

Babcock played college hockey in Canada and pro hockey in England.

He isn't an old boy. He moved his way through the ranks through hard work. 

He hit a sweet spot in the WHL with Spokane for six years, but other than Detroit his track record is about challenging himself.

It's really going to come down to the sell job from Murray and Pegula.

Because Babcock definitely coached this season wondering if the grass was greener.

He'd have re-upped in Detroit otherwise.

Did they convince Babcock they will be a satisfying a partnership as Illitch and Holland?

Does he believe Risto, Zemgus, Samson, Jack, Bogo and Evander are a special group he can ride for 10 years?

If he does, I think he will be in Buffalo.

I think he knows he has it good in Detroit, but in his heart he craves another challenge.

We're going to be his mid-life crisis.

Edited by dudacek

A half-hour of internet research and i am convinced he is coming here.

I go back to Drane's I-love-Disco-Dan thread, where he talks about guys willing to take risks and do things their way.

Babcock played college hockey in Canada and pro hockey in England.

He isn't an old boy. He moved his way through the ranks through hard work. 

He hit a sweet spot in the WHL with Spokane for six years, but other than Detroit his track record is about challenging himself.

It's really going to come down to the sell job from Murray and Pegula.

Because Babcock definitely coached this season wondering if the grass was greener.

He'd have re-upped in Detroit otherwise.

Did they convince Babcock they will be a satisfying a partnership as Illitch and Holland?

Does he believe Risto, Zemgus, Samson, Jack, Bogo and Evander are a special group he can ride for 10 years?

If he does, I think he will be in Buffalo.

I think he knows he has it good in Detroit, but in his heart he craves another challenge.

We're going to be his mid-life crisis.

Good post.

And I'll add that I'm not sure Ken Holland is so set on overpaying him. He's had success before Babcock, and he has his coach in waiting so he's not going to break the bank on a contract for Babcock. That's not to say he probably wouldn't prefer him staying, but I don't think Babcock leaving really stings Holland that much. And judging by Babcock's quotes, I think he may sense that a little. 

The good thing sounds like Buffalo is his second choice he is mulling over. The whole thing about not rushing guys and doing it the right way......that has to be a big concern of his in Buffalo.

He's going to blow a couple years here having to get the team to a point of real contention. If he goes back to winning a round or two here and there, before you know it he is 60 and just another nice coach.

He's mulling over MONEY. That simple. Do you sell out your comfort and ideals?

At least he's seriously thinking about Buffalo.

Sorry guys, ive been super busy so this may have been discussed. I heard theres a "in the know" guy on another forum (sabres fans i think) who claims Babcock to Buffalo is a done deal. Guess hes been right in the past. Anyone have any info on that?

Im not a member there. But im sure some of you cheat on SS and frequent over there... lol

It was a commenter on HockeyBuzz. He says we should be hearing something legitimate on Monday... We can only hope it's legit.

You haven't read through the thread which I guess is understandable. That dude was quoted by Hoss, aka Tank, aka DStebb, this exact thing. Somebody named Buffalo39. Personally I'm tired of all the stupid secret sources I need to post this first BS that social media has turned into. Out them. I want to know who is telling who what. No stupid secrets.

You haven't read through the thread which I guess is understandable. That dude was quoted by Hoss, aka Tank, aka DStebb, this exact thing. Somebody named Buffalo39. Personally I'm tired of all the stupid secret sources I need to post this first BS that social media has turned into. Out them. I want to know who is telling who what. No stupid ###### secrets.

I wasn't the one that quoted him actually. Meaning you must not have read the thread which is, I guess, understandable. ;)

It was a commenter on HockeyBuzz. He says we should be hearing something legitimate on Monday... We can only hope it's legit.

You haven't read through the thread which I guess is understandable. That dude was quoted by Hoss, aka Tank, aka DStebb, this exact thing. Somebody named Buffalo39. Personally I'm tired of all the stupid secret sources I need to post this first BS that social media has turned into. Out them. I want to know who is telling who what. No stupid ###### secrets.

Yeah my bad. I try to stay connected as much as possible but last week or so has been nuts, and trying to follow this Babwatch while being super busy at work has been driving me nuts. I know there is/was a guy on SabresFans who when he posts a rumor, turned out true. Basically what im saying is, i was hoping it was him who was spreading this. My friend who texted me didn't know so i thought this would be the place to ask. lol

The good thing sounds like Buffalo is his second choice he is mulling over. The whole thing about not rushing guys and doing it the right way......that has to be a big concern of his in Buffalo.

He's going to blow a couple years here having to get the team to a point of real contention. If he goes back to winning a round or two here and there, before you know it he is 60 and just another nice coach.

He's mulling over MONEY. That simple. Do you sell out your comfort and ideals?

At least he's seriously thinking about Buffalo.

Strongly disagree. What are your reasons for that take?

Detroit is where he raised his family but his family is raised.

Its not selling out his comfort and ideals, it's selling out his comfort for ideals, as in his need to challenge himself.

Edited by dudacek

Running commentary as I watch this. GO!

I don't see two men relating completely on the level, at all. There is tension there, mitigated by familiarity. I agree, Babcock looks torn, but if I could read between the lines, it's because Holland is saying they need to do some re-building to their core, and since they don't have the assets it will take a while.

I think Babcock is torn because of loyalty and personal history, but it looks to me like he knows Detroit isn't going to be any more competitive than they are for a long time.

Holland is barely looking at Babcock...and, come on, you work 10 years with a guy, talk to him "every day" and you're going to say you don't know what he's thinking? I get why he said that, but, again, reading between the lines, he's not looking at Babcock during this.

Hmmm...not sure I like it when someone references themselves in the third person. Babs has done this a few times now.

"I do want to be paid..." - yup.

Holland is clearly uncomfortable during this. I have experience with media interviews...this guy is not comfortable.

18 minutes into the interview and Holland finally looks at Babs.

Well, I finally get to see the "special, special thing" quote in context and the people bringing it up are way, way over-blowing its significance. Babcock is just stating the obvious by saying that, he has no extra special emotional commitment to the content of that quote.

"Is change important to invigorate ya..." that right there is insight into what he's really thinking. I would say he must feel flat and stuck in a routine there if he's thinking about what will invigorate him.

I do not agree with anyone saying this interview is definitive. Frankly, Babcock looks to me like a guy who is up for a change, but realizes he has it good where he's at in terms of career stability. I think, using Buffalo as the comparative, the idea of Buffalo and our roster, the organization, the Pegulas, and the money, all of that excites him - but he's weighing that against the hassle of moving, his loyalties, and uncertainly of whether the decision to go will be right for him in, oh, five years say.

Again, Detroit is clearly in their own version of a rebuild. I think only Babcock really knows what that means, especially for himself. Did Larkin light a fire for him?

I think what he's going to do, is he's going to go home and lay it all out to his wife and any other member of his immediate family and let them tip his decision either to stay or leave.

BTW, thanks, Hoss, for the link. Don't know why it wasn't working for me earlier.

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

Good stuff here boys. I appreciate the optimism. Here's my question though: why would Babcock do a side-by-side interview with Holland if he wasn't going to stay? Why put himself and Holland through that awkward situation?

Good stuff here boys. I appreciate the optimism. Here's my question though: why would Babcock do a side-by-side interview with Holland if he wasn't going to stay? Why put himself and Holland through that awkward situation?

I've wondered this too, but I think it may have been something Holland and Detroit made happen. He's still a Red Wings employee so they would still control if and when he speaks with the media... Maybe they got a request from TSN and they accepted it with the Holland caveat.

I've wondered this too, but I think it may have been something Holland and Detroit made happen. He's still a Red Wings employee so they would still control if and when he speaks with the media... Maybe they got a request from TSN and they accepted it with the Holland caveat.

More good insight. 

It struck me while I was watching the interview that Holland is letting Babcock test the waters early not only because it will end Babwatch as early as possible, but also, and perhaps mainly, as a play against Babcock. By letting him look, he is, in effect, saying "go ahead Babs, take a look around and see how good you have it."

Holland knows Babcock - and Babcock's family - well. I bet he knows, or thinks he knows, all of the right buttons to push. I think this interview is part of that play.

And, I'm going to surmise, but I would say that maybe part of Holland's obvious discomfort, and Babcock's steady confidence, during this interview, indicates that Holland may have gambled incorrectly with his play against Babcock.

Holland was trying to sell the situation to Babcock even during that interview.

I think money is an issue here, I think part of the play may have been to get Babcock to stay and give Detroit a little home-town discount, although still expecting to pay more.

I wonder if Babcock, with all of the "car time" they had, revealed to Holland what he likes about, oh, say Buffalo, and how much Pegula may have offered. Hence, uncomfortable Holland on camera.

I could be way off, too.

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

It struck me while I was watching the interview that Holland is letting Babcock test the waters early not only because it will end Babwatch as early as possible, but also, and perhaps mainly, as a play against Babcock. By letting him look, he is, in effect, saying "go ahead Babs, take a look around and see how good you have it."

Holland knows Babcock - and Babcock's family - well. I bet he knows, or thinks he knows, all of the right buttons to push. I think this interview is part of that play.

And, I'm going to surmise, but I would say that maybe part of Holland's obvious discomfort, and Babcock's steady confidence, during this interview, indicates that Holland may have gambled incorrectly with his play against Babcock.

I think this may be a bit of a stretch. Pegula is never comfortable in front of the media, some people are just camera shy.