The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

JW -- to be clear:  I'd guess most of us here would be very happy to have you here more often and have real dialogue with you on the Sabres.  I certainly would.  But in a public forum there are always going to be a few people who say the wrong thing.  The way you respond when this happen is of course up to you, but if you stick around you might find some good hockey talk and some good ideas for articles and for questions to ask your sources.

Hmmmmnnnnnnnn..........

Andrew Peters just threw out Tampa Bay as a dark horse team if they don't make the finals. Hmm.

GO SABRES!!!

What was it, just the Yzerman connection?  They've always seemed to be very happy with Cooper there and throwing him away sure does sound like a panic move to me.  He'd get scooped up by someone in a heartbeat.

I had occasion to listen to Mike Weber on hockey hotline today and anyone that does not think that Ted Nolan had little of the player's respect as a coach should listen to him talking about the possibility of Babcock joining the team.

Thank you for actually discussing the topic. I can't imagine there isn't a player out there that wouldn't be ecstatic about playing with Babs.

It's always fun to see an international sports writer claim to have been consuming an information source for years, then imply for a fan to go F##k Themself, and when said fan reminds what the job of a reporter consists of, semantics get argued over the metaphorical rebuttal.....

At least Wawrow hasn't told me to meet what he'd do to me if he got me alone in an alley yet.........

It wasn't a mere matter of semantics. Words like that one matter. You chose the wrong one. That's all.

Now, if you wanted to invoke the rights, privileges, and duties (DUTIES!) that arise from his status as a Journalist (inish capped!), that'd be fine. He just doesn't act in a fiduciary capacity for his readers.

I had occasion to listen to Mike Weber on hockey hotline today and anyone that does not think that Ted Nolan had little of the player's respect as a coach should listen to him talking about the possibility of Babcock joining the team.

Wait - wut? (Are you saying Weber was throwing shade Nolan's way?)

I think a new coach will take time to implement a system and get used to his players; you can't win a division in November, but you can lose it. Also, the Flames had solid vet goaltender and a somewhat seasoned Monahan as their #1 center and boy did he play the part. The Sabres top two centers thus far are Eichel and Reinhart, both rookies bound to do rookie things. 

A Sabres playoff berth would mean a near 100% increase in points, or 40 more points. I think with the amount of youth we have playing pivotal roles on our team 90+ points won't happen. 

I know it seems astronomical looking at their point total from last year and seeing how many more they need.  But as I said, look at all the players (particularly top players) who weren't even on the team last year.  Heck, Larsson and Grigo looked pretty good late in the year.  Maybe they come back and form a formidable third line with Gionta.  I'm not guaranteeing playoffs but I think we're getting much closer with the influx of talent coming in.  How long will it take the rookies to adjust?  Who knows.  Also, is Monaghan that seasoned?  Wasn't last year just his sophomore season?  He didn't even have any AHL time before starting his rookie year in 14/15. 

Babs is the Mrs. I will not allow Mike to co-opt my fantasy name for his wife.

You're kidding about the employee? He's a sales associate and a (relative) kid. I hope he got told to delete the Tweet and that's it. A fireable offense?

I wouldn't be surprised if employees there have to sign agreements to not share information about the business that occurs at the arena, take photos and share ton the Internet, etc.  So yes, I would imagine it could be such an offense.  I don't know that it is but given the speculative nature of sports I would not be surprised by it.

Here is the Weber clip:

http://media.wgr550.com/a/104971329/mike-weber-on-hh.htm

I know it seems astronomical looking at their point total from last year and seeing how many more they need.  But as I said, look at all the players (particularly top players) who weren't even on the team last year.  Heck, Larsson and Grigo looked pretty good late in the year.  Maybe they come back and form a formidable third line with Gionta.  I'm not guaranteeing playoffs but I think we're getting much closer with the influx of talent coming in.  How long will it take the rookies to adjust?  Who knows.  Also, is Monaghan that seasoned?  Wasn't last year just his sophomore season?  He didn't even have any AHL time before starting his rookie year in 14/15. 

I am just going to guess you mean 2013 6th overall draft pick Sean Monahan who played his sophomore season this year.  He is the exception not the rule.  Mikhail and Johan are going to have to battle all year.  

Just listened to it on the WGR web site. Thanks for the heads up.

No mention  at all of Nolan and praises for Ruff.

My take is that it was the nicest possible way of him saying he wont miss Nolan.

As usual, I cannot get a WGR vault clip to play at work.

So I scrolled down to read the automatically generated transcript.  Here's a portion.  No, I do not know why four certain words are in bold.  Yes, I am amused:

I'm just joked yeah I know I know I'm gonna think about virtually light. What are you how to do in jail I'm telling you visit she ought to do that probably in the CB Mike Webber joins us here sabres defenseman. I'm sabres IKEA Allen. Mike Mike Webber howry has served. Gonna ask you question if you're a viewer a coach in. High demand and you were visiting teams what would your gift bag be that you would want to take home from the team to show that you were they were really serious about. You know what a couple of 100000 are watches for you or your wife do the trick. I don't a couple of pot tax relief scenario announced handcrafted Switzerland. This just trot just castrate near in the pocket on the way out the tournament and. Will say well sabres bag with like about two million. Did you know what's gonna beat bears sole. That the money's death eater so writes probably some other things. That there are you excited about the pot I mean much Mike Babcock who's regarded president. You know the best known by most in hockey amateur if you feel that way too but you said the fact that he was here visiting yesterday. You know obviously immunized this issue it is. Go down as long list of success cities then you know it's it's been. It's been a long shot putter and they really had we had a great coach and and many rocks Peru China. 

Edited by Eleven

Just listened to the Weber clip.  It sounded to me like he preferred playing in Lindy's system and is really excited about the prospect of being coached by the guy that Lindy learned from.

I love me some Weber.  I hope he's still the #7 D when we do finally get that cup.

So I scrolled down to read the automatically generated transcript.  Here's a portion.  No, I do not know why four certain words are in bold.  Yes, I am amused:

I'm just joked yeah I know I know I'm gonna think about virtually light. What are you how to do in jail I'm telling you visit she ought to do that probably in the CB Mike Webber joins us here sabres defenseman. I'm sabres IKEA Allen. Mike Mike Webber howry has served. Gonna ask you question if you're a viewer a coach in. High demand and you were visiting teams what would your gift bag be that you would want to take home from the team to show that you were they were really serious about. You know what a couple of 100000 are watches for you or your wife do the trick. I don't a couple of pot tax relief scenario announced handcrafted Switzerland. This just trot just castrate near in the pocket on the way out the tournament and. Will say well sabres bag with like about two million. Did you know what's gonna beat bears sole. That the money's death eater so writes probably some other things. That there are you excited about the pot I mean much Mike Babcock who's regarded president. You know the best known by most in hockey amateur if you feel that way too but you said the fact that he was here visiting yesterday. You know obviously immunized this issue it is. Go down as long list of success cities then you know it's it's been. It's been a long shot putter and they really had we had a great coach and and many rocks Peru China. 

This clap nice bow amazon. I am always repressed tie Marge par Ted knowledge key has come.

:huh: Is this the result of babelfish's translation from Mandarin? :unsure:

At any rate, I'd be real happy w/ landing Babcock, if they can. We had the guy trying to run Babcock's system for several seasons. Might be fun to watch the original run it and see how he tailors it to the Sabres' personnel.

Here is the Weber clip:

http://media.wgr550.com/a/104971329/mike-weber-on-hh.htm

I am just going to guess you mean 2013 6th overall draft pick Sean Monahan who played his sophomore season this year.  He is the exception not the rule.  Mikhail and Johan are going to have to battle all year.  

I wasn't comparing Grigo or Larsson with Monahan.  I was comparing Reinhart and Eichel to Monahan.  My point is the Sabres are going to turn over more than half their team next season so I'm not sure how much weight you can give to this past years point total.

Edited by Derrico

I wouldn't be surprised if employees there have to sign agreements to not share information about the business that occurs at the arena, take photos and share ton the Internet, etc.  So yes, I would imagine it could be such an offense.  I don't know that it is but given the speculative nature of sports I would not be surprised by it.

My employer requires a similar code.

I wasn't comparing Grigo or Larsson with Monaghan.  I was comparing Reinhart and Eichel to Monaghan.  My point is the Sabres are going to turn over more than half their team next season so I'm not sure how much weight you can give to this past years point total.

This is Monaghan:

Meriadoc-Brandybuck-meriadoc-brandybuck-

This is Monahan:

8826579.jpg

I wasn't comparing Grigo or Larsson with Monaghan.  I was comparing Reinhart and Eichel to Monaghan.  My point is the Sabres are going to turn over more than half their team next season so I'm not sure how much weight you can give to this past years point total.

Reinhart is a step below Sean and Eichel is above him. I would expect Eichel to play better than Monahan did his rookie season.  

corrected.

Reinhart is a step below Sean and Eichel is above him. I would expect Eichel to play better than Monahan did his rookie season.  

I agree with this. 

My point is Calgary was the third worst team in the league after last season and made it to the second round of the playoffs this season.  Why can't that be Buffalo?