The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Am I the only shield who guards the realms of men?

Am I the only watcher on the wall?

The charismatic dangerous one repeatedly asserts that Hasek got Babcock his only cup and no one calls him on it?

It was Osgood.

Dominik finally hit the wall early in the playoffs that year and Babcock pulled the trigger with Osgood.

That's what our new coach (that's right!) had the guts and the brains to do.

Oh yeah baby!

Right now TP/TB and Babcock's agent are exchanging proposals.  TP's offer is at least 30% higher than Philly's.

Press conference Tuesday at noon.

For some reason I am picturing Mrs. Freeman currently pushing you away and saying..."Leave me alone.....go let out the dog." :)

Was Hasek hurt? The regular season? You are right, Osgood played more games than Hasek in the playoffs and the regular season. What is your opinion of Fleury?

How was the other 99.3% of the post.....

For some reason I am picturing Mrs. Freeman currently pushing you away and saying..."Leave me alone.....go let out the dog." :)

Was Hasek hurt? The regular season? You are right, Osgood played more games than Hasek in the playoffs and the regular season. What is your opinion of Fleury?

Whoa

I think we get it. You want Bylsma.

Honestly though, come free agent time I could see the best vets wanting one last go around with Babcock. That's value added.wherever he is hired.

I would much rather see Bylsma in Toronto than Babcock. (Seeing I'm not actually thinking that odds are Babcock lands in Buffalo.)

Didn't he come within 2 minutes of losing to Ted Nolan who had a teenage goalie and gave a 50 year old defenseman 40 minutes? :)

Bylsma.....as many Cups as Babcock in less than half the games coached.........

Bylsma......a better playoff series record than Babcock.........

Bylsma.....had Crosby and Malkin together for a total of 200 regular games......Babcock had Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg for more time.....

Bylsma....wins Cup with Marc-Adres Fleury........Babcock with Dominik Hasek..........

Bylsma won his Cup..................OVER Babcock................

I think I may nickname Babcock......"The Holland Tulip".

Overvalued in an irrational mania and bound to come crashing to earth......

Will Terry make Tim buy the bulb?

I like her with the extra 12-15 lbs. she had on.

I also think she is a good enough sport that she would let you motorboat her for charity......

The Holland Tulip insight is poignant. I am of a different opinion that a good hockey mind, that understands his roster's strengths and weaknesses, that can hire assistants that can teach and develop players, and above all can be patient enough to live with the foibles inexperienced players may bring is what we need at the moment. If the plan is to draft, develop and pursue the FA to put you over the top , then I don't see either as the perfect fit right now. Would I be happy with either? Sure, but TM is cooking this stew and still has it on a slow burn. I feel this the right approach. I wouldn't be upset if they took the Flames approach, or the Sens and find a guy to help season the young prospects and emerging leaders. Richardson and Boestra might even be good hires for the team as it currently stands. I would rather have a great GM molding the personnel profile of an organization and working collaboratively with the coach and player development staff to build an identity than chasing after the prospect of a dominant personality's past glory. GMTM may not be great but has the potential to be a Holland type. YMMV. Edited by 3putt

Overvalued in an irrational mania and bound to come crashing to earth......

Babcock's teams have been remarkably consistent. There is no other active coach with more influence on the way the game is played today. There is nothing irrational, or overstated, about Babcock's contributions and consistency in the game, and just watch. Most teams coaching moves this off-season revolve around Babcock's decision. 

Now you could argue that no coach is worth this amount of attention. But it is more akin to ignoring Apple in your Nasdaq portfolio, you could do okay without Apple, but you can't ignore Apple's impact on the market while its fundamentals look solid. 

It's a combo of the Buffalo media machine and the "It'll all be worth it!" fanbase, but when you really look at the qualifications and results......

Who would you rather have.....Crosby/Malkin/Satan/Fleury/Gonchar/Letang  or Datsyuk/Lidstrom/Hasek/Chelios/Zetterberg/Franzen?

What's his playoff record with the post-Lidstrom Wings?

I would have put Bill Guerin in there in place of Satan. He had a much bigger influence on that team.

Regardless, what is being argued here? Is one of those line ups supposed to be markedly better than the other to prove which coach is better? I just don't see it and as I haven't seen or heard any Buffalo sportsy talk in a week, I'm saying I would rather have Babcock just because I do, not because I'm hysterical. He's done more for longer.

Plus, after Detroit was eliminated this year, the way he said, "we'll talk about that crap later," when asked about his plans for the future, just made me think, "I'd really like him as the head coach pf the Sabres."

As much as I'm excited for the future I think we're a long way off from having a "stacked roster."

Maybe not next year, but what about the year after that? If not, (and not being a jerk here) then what was the purpose of the tank?

I kinda think we're going to be kinda stacked next year, kinda.

Babcock's teams have been remarkably consistent. There is no other active coach with more influence on the way the game is played today. There is nothing irrational, or overstated, about Babcock's contributions and consistency in the game, and just watch. Most teams coaching moves this off-season revolve around Babcock's decision. 

Now you could argue that no coach is worth this amount of attention. But it is more akin to ignoring Apple in your Nasdaq portfolio, you could do okay without Apple, but you can't ignore Apple's impact on the market while its fundamentals look solid. 

Yes, he is consistant. He is a good and influential coach.

If he ends up in Buffalo, that is not a bad thing. You hit the point....why the 99% attention? Apple is great. Why is it so consistant? Detroit had a few more Cups the decade before if I remember....but there was one constant.

Your best 5 players are in order:

1) A 23 year old power forward who was lambasted for sharing his Vegas success with the public, and who has no problem speaking his mind inside the room even if people don't like it.

2) An 18 year old big boy center who has no problem chugging beer on camera and has been the king of the court in his hometown the past year.

3) A 24 year old defenseman who has the skill of a top European, but the intelligence and mindset on the ice of Butkus or Nitschke. He is a rover to be trusted by nature.

4) A 21 year old Latvian who likes to hit, hustle, and wear cheap prostitutes' clothing.

5) Ristolainen....and/or, a 20 year old Russian bear who enjoys leaving his position on occasion to maul a victim, then skate by Rob Ray on his way to the bench and call him an elderly #####.

Who has the skill and temperment to let guys like that thrive?

This isn't:

Lidstrom

Datsyuk

Zetterberg

Holmstrom

Franzen

Samuelsson

Flippula

with an occasional Kronwall thrown in......

There are dirt horses....and there are turf horses.......sometimes you need to know which type of horses you have and who is the best to train them.......

Yes, he is consistant. He is a good and influential coach.

If he ends up in Buffalo, that is not a bad thing. You hit the point....why the 99% attention? Apple is great. Why is it so consistant? Detroit had a few more Cups the decade before if I remember....but there was one constant.

Your best 5 players are in order:

1) A 23 year old power forward who was lambasted for sharing his Vegas success with the public, and who has no problem speaking his mind inside the room even if people don't like it.

2) An 18 year old big boy center who has no problem chugging beer on camera and has been the king of the court in his hometown the past year.

3) A 24 year old defenseman who has the skill of a top European, but the intelligence and mindset on the ice of Butkus or Nitschke. He is a rover to be trusted by nature.

4) A 21 year old Latvian who likes to hit, hustle, and wear cheap prostitutes' clothing.

5) Ristolainen....and/or, a 20 year old Russian bear who enjoys leaving his position on occasion to maul a victim, then skate by Rob Ray on his way to the bench and call him an elderly #####.

Who has the skill and temperment to let guys like that thrive?

This isn't:

Lidstrom

Datsyuk

Zetterberg

Holmstrom

Franzen

Samuelsson

Flippula

with an occasional Kronwall thrown in......

There are dirt horses....and there are turf horses.......sometimes you need to know which type of horses you have and who is the best to train them.......

So, at this point, are you just arguing against Babcock and abandoning your Bylsma demands? Because this exact argument works against Bylsma, too. Those guys certainly aren't Crosby, Malkin, etc.

Hoss, do they teach "I'm hearing" at journalism/mass comm school? I hope not. Jeez, that's lazy. Who's he hearing it from? I need to know in order to evaluate it. I assume he's not hearing it from top sources, or he would have written that.

I think the whole point of allowing other teams to talk to Babcock is then the Wings can know what his value is and have first right of refusal on any contract offered.  Until July 1 he's basically a restricted free agent.  If Detroit didn't have an interest in keeping him, I don't think they would have allowed other teams to talk to him while they still held his rights.

The other side of that is I think TPegs may offer far more than Ilitch is willing to pay.  Of course if I'm TPegs, I probably make any offer to be effective July 1 so I wouldn't need to offer compensation to the Wings.

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

I think the whole point of allowing other teams to talk to Babcock is then the Wings can know what his value is and have first right of refusal on any contract offered. Until July 1 he's basically a restricted free agent. If Detroit didn't have an interest in keeping him, I don't think they would have allowed other teams to talk to him while they still held his rights.

The other side of that is I think TPegs may offer far more than Ilitch is willing to pay. Of course if I'm TPegs, I probably make any offer to be effective July 1 so I wouldn't need to offer compensation to the Wings.

IIRC in order to gain permission to speak with him now, any team that signs him to a contract owes the Wings compensation regardless when the contract is signed

IIRC in order to gain permission to speak with him now, any team that signs him to a contract owes the Wings compensation regardless when the contract is signed

I don't believe this is the case. They can't claim tampering if they gave teams permission to speak to him. They might be able to raise a stink if he speaks to teams but doesn't sign until after July 1st. Maybe they could claim that they came to a handshake agreement but purposely didn't sign it until later in order to ensure that they didn't need to give compensation.

But I also think that's a big part of the reason that Detroit made up this small window... It will force a decision sooner rather than later. It either guarantees compensation or makes it clear to Babcock that he wants to stay in Detroit.

I don't believe this is the case. They can't claim tampering if they gave teams permission to speak to him. They might be able to raise a stink if he speaks to teams but doesn't sign until after July 1st. Maybe they could claim that they came to a handshake agreement but purposely didn't sign it until later in order to ensure that they didn't need to give compensation.

But I also think that's a big part of the reason that Detroit made up this small window... It will force a decision sooner rather than later. It either guarantees compensation or makes it clear to Babcock that he wants to stay in Detroit.

I could have sworn Damien Cox mentioned the letter of compensation each team has to agree to surrending a 3rd Rounder upon Babcock signing even after 7/1. A team signing McLellan has to agree to the same terms.

Hopefully it's a moot point and he signs this week

Not for long

Was my second thought after my first... "bullsh!t."

What?

Really obscure AT&T commercial reference.

I could have sworn Damien Cox mentioned the letter of compensation each team has to agree to surrending a 3rd Rounder upon Babcock signing even after 7/1. A team signing McLellan has to agree to the same terms.

Hopefully it's a moot point and he signs this week

That may be the case. I have only seen Cox just generally say that they will get thirds from Babcock and McLellan, but I haven't seen any reference about them getting that if he signs after the contract expires.

Edited by Hoss