The "Stupid Threads" Thread

darksabre

More humans are right-handed than left-handed. Why does hockey have so many more left-handed shooters?

Most sports are like this.  I've always assumed that means being left handed means you have a much higher chance of getting into professional sports.

Or maybe professional athletes are the best of the best: the most coordinated people in the world.  Maybe they were/are ambidextrous enough to be able to learn either way.

I think that any stupid thread I can think of right now has already been started.

-----

Is that Morgan?

I think so.  Such a cool dude.

And that chickadoodle is alright too.

Yep, that is a young Morgan Freeman.

And "that chickadoodle" is a considerably more decorated performer than he:  she has an Oscar, a Tony, a Grammy, and an Emmy.  She hit for the cycle.  

Countless Americans can thank not only Morgan Freeman, but also Rita freaking Moreno, for teaching them how to read!

Dominant hand is usually on top. How do you sweep a broom if you're right handed? 

You don't shoot with a broom, though.  Your bottom hand is the one putting tension in the stick by pushing it against the ice when you take a shot.  And I sweep a broom the way I hold my hockey stick, which is the right (dominant) hand lower.

I'm pretty sure most non-American countries have hockey players learn your way though, so who knows.  It's just a preference thing.

You don't shoot with a broom, though.  Your bottom hand is the one putting tension in the stick by pushing it against the ice when you take a shot.  And I sweep a broom the way I hold my hockey stick, which is the right (dominant) hand lower.

This describes me, as well. Top (weak) hand moves much less than lower (dominant) hand. Both hockey stick and broom.

Assquatch, on 10 Apr 2015 - 3:54 PM, said:

More humans are right-handed than left-handed. Why does hockey have so many more left-handed shooters?

Because you end up with a harder shot w/ your dominant hand being the one the stick is torquing around. You typically end up w/ a more accurate shot (all things equal) w/ the hands reversed. My recommendation is to give young kids straight blade sticks and find out which way they naturally gravitate towards.

The vast majority of Canadian players end up shooting w/ their dominant hand up at the butt end. Here in Ra-cha-cha, it seems to be pretty mixed or even tending towards the hands flipped.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.