2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

They are all wrong and should be fired :D

Edit: I also rate the finnish league higher than the Swiss league.

I agree with the league sentiment, but Matthews also broke Kane's USNTDP record by a pretty substantial amount which is outweighs the league comparison IMO 

Why would you ever NOT draft for need? Isn't that what the draft is for? If you have some number of guys graded out in the same score bucket, you take the guy who can fill a need on your team.

This whole "we always take BPA" is complete and utter ######. That's just a saying the GMs use to cover their ###### if their pick doesn't pan out and the guy who could've filled a need does become a good player. Like when GMTM said they "got their guy" when they took Reinhart second in 2014... insinuating they would've taken him 1st overall if they had the #1 pick, why? Because they NEEDED a center.

Soooo they should be drafting guys to fill a position of need when they may not be ready to play it for 3-4 years?

So Auston Matthews outscored Eichel in USNTDP, but I thought it was Eichel's basically unheard of production during his freshman year at BU when normal kids his age were in their HS senior years that made Eichel so special? How does AM's season in the Swiss League compare to that? I don't doubt he's doing great things but I know nothing about the league so checking out stats and video probably wouldn't help me answer that question.

hfboard polls show that a bunch of know-nothing fans like us would have put Eichel slightly ahead of Matthews had Auston been 3 days younger, but I don't feel comfortable making conclusions based on that. 

So Auston Matthews outscored Eichel in USNTDP, but I thought it was Eichel's basically unheard of production during his freshman year at BU when normal kids his age were in their HS senior years that made Eichel so special? How does AM's season in the Swiss League compare to that? I don't doubt he's doing great things but I know nothing about the league so checking out stats and video probably wouldn't help me answer that question.

hfboard polls show that a bunch of know-nothing fans like us would have put Eichel slightly ahead of Matthews had Auston been 3 days younger, but I don't feel comfortable making conclusions based on that. 

There were several professional draft guys that debated whether Matthews or Eichel would have been drafted 2nd overall if Matthews was eligible last year.  I think it is safe to say that Eichel would not have been a consensus pick at #2 if Matthews was around as an alternative.

Jack is very good, Auston will be very good. Laine and Pujo project to be very good. Not really a debate and I think Jack's attitude makes him a good fit here. By all accounts Matthews is a great kid so he should be a good fit wherever he lands. Take the BPA you can. You can choose who to keep afterwards.

Jack is very good, Auston will be very good. Laine and Pujo project to be very good. Not really a debate and I think Jack's attitude makes him a good fit here. By all accounts Matthews is a great kid so he should be a good fit wherever he lands. Take the BPA you can. You can choose who to keep afterwards.

Yep. You only worry about becoming Edmonton East if you are unwiling to trade any of your "can't miss" kids for something on D or with serious grit & for whatever reason also refuse to bring in vets to help them. Pretty sure TM wouldn't have that paralysis though it could result in some serious gnashing of teeth when a young C or 2 goes bye-bye.

There were several professional draft guys that debated whether Matthews or Eichel would have been drafted 2nd overall if Matthews was eligible last year.  I think it is safe to say that Eichel would not have been a consensus pick at #2 if Matthews was around as an alternative.

I can believe this, and the fan split I am referring to was only something like 55-45 Eichel-Matthews, so it definitely wasn't clear cut in their eyes either.

So those guys must have thought that Matthews' higher production for the National Team relative to Eichel's outweighs Eichel's BU season, or at least these stats combined with other things they see when watching the two. 

They are all wrong and should be fired :D

Edit: I also rate the finnish league higher than the Swiss league.

You can rate it higher all you want, but just playing in a better league doesn't mean anything. He's got 5-7-12 in 31 games whereas Matthews has 14-11-25 in 22 games. That's a huge production difference.

You can rate it higher all you want, but just playing in a better league doesn't mean anything. He's got 5-7-12 in 31 games whereas Matthews has 14-11-25 in 22 games. That's a huge production difference.

He is also almost a year younger (8 months) and playing in a much better league :p

I tend to agree with this as well. There is simply no better indicator than production, regardless of the caliber of the league a player competes in. If he's in a lesser league, we would want to see eye-popping domination of the competition. If he's in a better league, we'd want to see the same thing, regardless of there being an explanation for lesser production.

It's a safe bet that both the Finnish league and the Swiss league are inferior to the NHL, regardless. 

GO SABRES!!!

He is also almost a year younger (8 months) and playing in a much better league :p

The age thing is always so popular yet I've never heard anything supporting that a few months matters...

Also you're acting like this year is all that matters... Matthews was the unanimous number one before anybody even knew where he was going to be playing...

Edited by Hoss

Yeah, they're totally going to pass up a RW for a LW (unless the rating is greatly in Laine's favor).

I think Laine also plays RW, doesn't he? I've seen him listed as a RW and he shoots right. I think if we aren't getting Matthews, it comes down to Puljujarvi and Laine, and it is pretty close between the two right now.

It could be the rare occasion where need comes into play because the talents are so close, but even then, again I think both play RW, so it still may be splitting hairs between the two.

Edited by Thorny

Laine is a natural RW.

Not talking down Matthews, but I was more impressed by Jack in his draft year.

Nice. So both Puljujarvi and Laine look to be great prospects that also happen to fill a position of need, with a potential home to Jack's right. I like it. If we are picking high in the draft, hopefully we are lucky enough to get one of the two.

It's impossible to separate my bias from this as Jack is a Sabre now, but I agree. Eichel seems to just have a little bit more of that "it" factor, whatever the heck that is. I think I'd still feel that way if Jack wasn't here. But who knows. Both are going to be great players, that's all that matters.

That isn't good, then we are missing Puljujarvi for sure :P

Yea but you still have Laine, Tkachuk, and Chupacabra (idk how to spell it).  Getting anyone of those 3 would be good. This draft looks to have a drop off at 6 maybe 5.  Hard to tell yet and I need to start looking at players. Sigh, I really wanted to be more focused on the Sabres this year.

Craigs list:

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-can-t-go-wrong-with-puljujarvi-laine-1.421415

I don't agree with Juolevi over Chychrun. Its kinda like how we saw Lawson Crouse enter top 5 range last year after the WJC. Though Juolevi did show great puck moving skills at the tourney.

I completely agree with the top 5 picks. For the Sabres I would love to see them land Laine or Tkachuk. Need a natural goal scorer on the wing to play with Eichel.

Yea but you still have Laine, Tkachuk, and Chupacabra (idk how to spell it).  Getting anyone of those 3 would be good. This draft looks to have a drop off at 6 maybe 5.  Hard to tell yet and I need to start looking at players. Sigh, I really wanted to be more focused on the Sabres this year.

Matthews

Laine

Puljujarvi

------------------------ drop off

Chychrun

Nylander

Tkachuk

------------------------ drop off

That is my list :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7-H3eJFCd4 from this year's WJC featuring Laine and Aho 

from last year's WJC

featuring Laine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyCMUR-1Nyk from...acting class?

First thing to stick out is his vision with the puck and his ability to split defenders. Can't find too many videos in English. I'm sure more highlight packages will come out closer to the draft

Jack could really add to the maalia and syottoa totals with either one of those guys. 

GO SABRES!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.