2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

now reported that it is close to 100% Matthews to Europe however teams from Sweden and Finland have entered the bidding.

Interesting, so it sounds like he didn't want to put the effort into qualifying scholastically for college. Red flag?

Interesting, so it sounds like he didn't want to put the effort into qualifying scholastically for college. Red flag?

No. That's almost assuredly not the case. The WHL was supposedly his second choice. Only about 30% of NHL players played in college...

No. That's almost assuredly not the case. The WHL was supposedly his second choice. Only about 30% of NHL players played in college...

Not really sure what that has to do with anything. Isn't that more than go to Europe first? And given the overall numbers, isn't 30% just about right in line?

Not really sure what that has to do with anything. Isn't that more than go to Europe first? And given the overall numbers, isn't 30% just about right in line?

Sure. I also don't know what your comments have to do with it either, then. Him not going the college route isn't a concern. It never should be either.

Sure. I also don't know what your comments have to do with it either, then. Him not going the college route isn't a concern. It never should be either.

I just thought you mentioned that stat to imply that he was purposely avoiding college because of competition concerns.

For all the poo-pooing that people (not you) give to the college path over the major junior route, 30% seems like a pretty decent number to me. Has that number gone up in recent years?

I just thought you mentioned that stat to imply that he was purposely avoiding college because of competition concerns.

For all the poo-pooing that people (not you) give to the college path over the major junior route, 30% seems like a pretty decent number to me. Has that number gone up in recent years?

My only point in mentioning that only 30% of NHLers went the college route was to point out that we shouldn't question Matthews for not doing it unless we want to go back and question the other 70%ers for it.

The college game is growing and that number definitely has gone up. I'm looking forward to more and more guys coming from there.

isn't it as simple as he will play vs men and earn about $500,000k. Plus I can think of worse places to live for a year than in Switzerland, Finland or Sweden.

I live down here in Florida.  I am actually thinking about trying to go to the draft.  I have never been and given Eichel and having two firsts, I thought it might be fun.

Is anyone else planning on going?

I live down here in Florida.  I am actually thinking about trying to go to the draft.  I have never been and given Eichel and having two firsts, I thought it might be fun.

I'd be willing to bet that you don't make it to the Sabres second pick.  I remember going to the draft in Buffalo the year Lecavalier went first overall.  We left long before the Sabres drafted Kalinin.  It was way too boring.

Players not going to college isn't a big deal as you point out, since that covers all the players that come out of Canadian Juniors. But, IMHO, you're making it sound like a completely normal path he's taking, but I can't think of a single player that has taken in the play in the US as a high-schooler and then go to Europe route. The closest I can think of is Zemgus, but that's the other way around. I'm not saying it's a bad path, just an unusual one.

So his options are: Play in the CHL with Everett (who hold his rights), play NCAA somewhere for a year (see: Eichel, etc.), or play in Europe, right? I assume he could play in the AHL (not that that will happen) after he's drafted since he's not beholden to the CHL agreement.

Edited by MattPie

Players not going to college isn't a big deal as you point out, since that covers all the players that come out of Canadian Juniors. But, IMHO, you're making it sound like a completely normal path he's taking, but I can't think of a single player that has taken in the play in the US as a high-schooler and then go to Europe route. The closest I can think of is Zemgus, but that's the other way around. I'm not saying it's a bad path, just an unusual one.

So his options are: Play in the CHL with Everett (who hold his rights), play NCAA somewhere for a year (see: Eichel, etc.), or play in Europe, right? I assume he could play in the AHL (not that that will happen) after he's drafted since he's not beholden to the CHL agreement.

Nevermind a player going the Europe route instead of playing in college, this kind of thing doesn't happen with any North American players.  It's not really a viable option for these European leagues really.  They usually have rules that limit the number of players you can import from outside of the country/region.  They're not going to use one of those slots on a teenager unless he's elite.

Just want to be the first to chime in here with this choice. All I want next in the draft is Tyler Benson. I have been keeping track of him for a couple years now and the kid is impressive. Has everything you would in a hockey player. Size, speed, creativity, and a wicked shot. Plus this year as a rookie, he held up a bad team in the Giants and almost got them into the playoffs. I look for a big leap in his progress this year and maybe even challenging for a top three overall pick.

I'm not saying it's normal. I'm saying that not going to college isn't abnormal or an issue AT ALL.

I can understand being a little concerned that he might just be chasing money right now as a young player, but he also might truly just want to face big competition. Interesting development.

Nevermind a player going the Europe route instead of playing in college, this kind of thing doesn't happen with any North American players.  It's not really a viable option for these European leagues really.  They usually have rules that limit the number of players you can import from outside of the country/region.  They're not going to use one of those slots on a teenager unless he's elite.

Good post.

isn't it as simple as he will play vs men and earn about $500,000k. Plus I can think of worse places to live for a year than in Switzerland, Finland or Sweden.

I know next to nothing about the kid but I think this might touch on it. An opportunity to play and live in Switzerland for a year could be enticing. It would be for a lot of kids his age.

I'd be willing to bet that you don't make it to the Sabres second pick.  I remember going to the draft in Buffalo the year Lecavalier went first overall.  We left long before the Sabres drafted Kalinin.  It was way too boring.

But people have their mobile devices now to keep themselves occupied in between picks :P

Another early look at the 2016 by Draft Buzz

1. Auston Matthews, C, 6’2’’ 194 lbs, USNTDP U18, USHL  

2. Jakob Chychrun, D, 6’2’’ 194 lbs, Sarnia Sting, OHL Report: More explosive than Ekblad, with as much offensive maturity in his stick. 

3. Jesse Puljujarvi, RW, 6’3’’ 196 lbs, Karpat, LIIGA Report: Dominant outside threat is a shot machine. At risk for a fall if comp figures his speed out.

4. Matthew Tkachuk, LW, 6’1’’ 187 lbs, USNTDP U18, USHL Report: Beast with booksmarts and street fight can do it all.

5. Clayton Keller, C, 5’9’’ 165 lbs, USNTDP U17, USHL Report: Pure skill is Marner-like; could rise to top 3, waiting for physical growth.

6. Dmitri Sokolov, LW, 6’2’’ 212 lbs, Omskie Yastreby, MHL Report: Russian sniper rips twine off iron he shoots so much.

7. Alexander Nylander, RW, 5’10’’ 157 lbs, AIK, SUPERELIT Report: That legend of traits skipping generations doesn’t exist in this family. Possession King just like his bro.

8. Tyler Benson, LW, 6’0’’ 196 lbs, Vancouver Giants, WHL Report: Dominant shooter handles and carries team like a top pick.

9. Chad Krys, D, 5’11’’ 183 lbs, USNTDP U18, USHL Report: Could compete in figure skating with no problem; executes hockey plays with 3D vision.

10.Sam Steel, C, 5’11’’ 172 lbs, Regina Pats, WHL Report: Right up there with Keller for shorty with dynamite in his skates and

Edited by Crusader1969

Peter, I was, I was. Instead, I'm traveling west with my lovely wife for our thirtieth ... and to visit my serviceman son and his family ...

Just wanted to greet a fellow transplant. Do it! We'll all be looking and listening. Bring the noise!

Now is Jesse Puljujarvi's inability to finish his chances just a fluke from WJC or is he like that all of the time?

the Finnish's Finish ability shouldn't be questioned yet. I understand he didnt score at the WJC but had 12 goals in 11 games in the Finnish under 20 league and 4 goals in 21 games in the mens league.

the Finnish's Finish ability shouldn't be questioned yet. I understand he didnt score at the WJC but had 12 goals in 11 games in the Finnish under 20 league and 4 goals in 21 games in the mens league.

That's good to see. I know it isn't representative, WJC, all the time, but there was a game where I swear he had 15 shots and missed em all.

• 4 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.