2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Not convinced that there is much difference between Matthews and puljujarvi.    I wouldn't blame murray if he passed on Matthews with the #1 pick in the draft.    Or traded down with the likes of CBJ who need a center now  :D

Also little bit discusted I'm talking about the #1 pick in january already again but it is what it is.

Yeah, I find it hard to digest that we are here again.

This draft has been on my mind with that being said.

Any of these guys would help, I too like the Finns.

Nylander would be my last pick from this group too. At least he looks a bit tougher than his sibling Wilhemina.

Another left handed D that may be top ten is Juolevi

Unless a D just is that awesome on both ends of the ice take the high end forward and none of these D look like the next Risto imo

There a lot of D to take in later rounds top forward depth while excellent is limited in depth from what I have been reading. Later round D getting a lot more virtual ink.

I would take a forward in the top 3 even though we need a LHD. I think Mathews and the 2 Finns are a tier above where Chychrun is currently but honestly have barely watched much on any of these guys. 

I will say that Austin Mathews is 18 now. Puljujarvi won't be 18 until mid May.  He is 8months younger than Mathews.  I am just curious to see if Pulju in 3 years would close that talent gap. Also a 6'4" RW who can skate, score and play defense... vinegar strokes.

Puljujarvi or Matthews would make for one hell of a nice winger for Eichel.

Puljujarvi would give us a Finn-tacular lineup while Matthews would give us dual American ICBMs

Sign me up if we are lucky enough.

Matthews is a center. It's very possible that he's better than Eichel. You're not drafting him as Eichel's prop.

got any you can post, he's one guy I would like to look at more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7-H3eJFCd4 from this year's WJC featuring Laine and Aho 

from last year's WJC

featuring Laine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyCMUR-1Nyk from...acting class?

First thing to stick out is his vision with the puck and his ability to split defenders. Can't find too many videos in English. I'm sure more highlight packages will come out closer to the draft

After looking through Button's mock draft I noticed that he had no Canadian going before the sixth pick. The latest it has ever taken for a Canadian to be drafted was sixth overall with Brian Finley in 1999. Other than that, third overall looks to be the latest.

Edited by IrwinNelson

Why would you ever NOT draft for need?   Isn't that what the draft is for?  If you have some number of guys graded out in the same score bucket, you take the guy who can fill a need on your team.

This whole "we always take BPA" is complete and utter .   That's just a saying the GMs use to cover their if their pick doesn't pan out and the guy who could've filled a need does become a good player.    Like when GMTM said they "got their guy" when they took Reinhart second in 2014... insinuating they would've taken him 1st overall if they had the #1 pick, why?  Because they NEEDED a center.  

Craig Button, lol.   No way BUF passes on Puljujarvi.

I agree with Button on this one - I prefer Laine to Puljujarvi.  I think he is everything you want in a winger - loved his physical game with NHL shot.  Don't sleep on Matthew Tkachuk either.

I think either Laine or Tkachuk would be a perfect fit to play wing with Eichel for many years to come.

Laine is listed as a LW but shoots right so could easily move to Right Wing 

Link to Scout based in Finland

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2016-nhl-draft-patrik-laine-jesse-puljujarvi-and-more/

Why would you ever NOT draft for need? Isn't that what the draft is for? If you have some number of guys graded out in the same score bucket, you take the guy who can fill a need on your team.

This whole "we always take BPA" is complete and utter ######. That's just a saying the GMs use to cover their ###### if their pick doesn't pan out and the guy who could've filled a need does become a good player. Like when GMTM said they "got their guy" when they took Reinhart second in 2014... insinuating they would've taken him 1st overall if they had the #1 pick, why? Because they NEEDED a center.

It's the NHL draft. Maybe seven guys in the entire thing will play within two years of being drafted... That's why.

Irwin beat me to it, Liger. And I agree with his statements on Puljujarvi too, I'm drooling over that kid. Tomorrow I'll take a long look at Matthews

Serious question: Given our center depth, do you go Matthews or Puljujarvi?

Awesome link btw Crusader, thanks for that. Can't wait watch it when I can

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.