Did Mike Grier face any racial issues in Buffalo?

SDS

I don't recall any. I remember him as being pretty well liked and supported. If his time here was incident free, I wonder if having him reach out to Kane as a team ambassador to share his experience might help with any issues Kane faced in Winnipeg?

In a sport that is made up of almost all white players..

With a fan following of almost all white fans...

Something had to have been said or done that was racially motivated.  He had a long career, a great attitude. I would suspect that the only time we may hear of anything from Mike personally is if he thinks it will help others. My take on a good person... 

I can only hope no one has a story...

I don't recall any. I remember him as being pretty well liked and supported. If his time here was incident free, I wonder if having him reach out to Kane as a team ambassador to share his experience might help with any issues Kane faced in Winnipeg?

I would love to see him as an Assistant Coach here. Played the game the right way. 

Not in Buffalo (but he just happened to be interviewed about it in Buffalo): In 1997, Chris Simon used a slur against Grier. Grier reported it. Simon expressed remorse and was suspended by Brian Burke for three games.  It was the first time a player had been suspended for it.

"I've had to deal with it my whole life," said Grier, the son of New England Patriots vice president/player personnel Bobby Grier, who grew up in Holliston, Mass., and ascended through the area's youth hockey ranks. "When I've heard those things, it's mostly been in hockey, and the older I got, the less I heard it."

"It's not something I've had to deal with at this level," he said, shortly before boarding the team bus for yesterday's game against the Buffalo Sabres, in which he would score his first goal of the season. "It's just something that opens your eyes a little bit, I guess."

So...hopefully not in Buffalo...?

I have no doubt that he experienced some form of racism at some point.  I don't think one could say it's systemic but idiots are everywhere.  If he didn't then I would be amazed.

I struggle to understand racism.  It's about as illogical a concept as could be created.

I'm not sure if Kane had any of these kind of issues in Winnipeg.  Did he say he did?  I don't recall a report on it.

Winnipeg is generally viewed by most Canadians as the *most openly racist city in Canada*.  MacLeans Magazine recently did a story on it.  In general the shameful racism in Winnipeg is directed towards the large and pretty much segregated Aboriginal population (Canada's largest).

I have no doubt that he experienced some form of racism at some point.  I don't think one could say it's systemic but idiots are everywhere.  If he didn't then I would be amazed.

I struggle to understand racism.  It's about as illogical a concept as could be created.

I think, from an evolutionary standpoint, we've evolved to trust people that look like us. On a more recent note, there's a study that suggests there's a pattern in the genetic code for the people we end up friends with and partnered with.

http://www.scienceworldreport.com/articles/16028/20140715/dna-finds-similarities-between-friends-study.htm

None of that excuses racism, though, that's just upbringing or a conscious choice.

I'm not sure if Kane had any of these kind of issues in Winnipeg.  Did he say he did?  I don't recall a report on it.

Winnipeg is generally viewed by most Canadians as the *most openly racist city in Canada*.  MacLeans Magazine recently did a story on it.  In general the shameful racism in Winnipeg is directed towards the large and pretty much segregated Aboriginal population (Canada's largest).

If not overt, I'd guess it's more subtle. Along the lines of not as many people would have issues with the "stacks of cash" picture if it were a white guy.

Too lazy to report a link, but it has been discussed. They talked about it on WGR this morning.

I think, from an evolutionary standpoint, we've evolved to trust people that look like us. On a more recent note, there's a study that suggests there's a pattern in the genetic code for the people we end up friends with and partnered with.

http://www.scienceworldreport.com/articles/16028/20140715/dna-finds-similarities-between-friends-study.htm

None of that excuses racism, though, that's just upbringing or a conscious choice.

If not overt, I'd guess it's more subtle. Along the lines of not as many people would have issues with the "stacks of cash" picture if it were a white guy.

I think the study makes perfect sense.

Perhaps racism was borne more out of differences in culture than skin color but given that skin color is pretty obvious (even if picking shades of it isn't) that it evolved into just pointing it out.  I don't know.. I don't really think about it that much.

I'd agree with the stacks of cash.  I think people might be more willing to accept it in that situation.  I know I wouldn't because for me it's just idiotic narcissism but I could see some people giving someone of similar skin color a pass on that.

I dunno.. like I said I struggle with it all.. trying to make sense of the illogical is painful.

I think the study makes perfect sense.

Perhaps racism was borne more out of differences in culture than skin color but given that skin color is pretty obvious (even if picking shades of it isn't) that it evolved into just pointing it out. I don't know.. I don't really think about it that much.

I'd agree with the stacks of cash. I think people might be more willing to accept it in that situation. I know I wouldn't because for me it's just idiotic narcissism but I could see some people giving someone of similar skin color a pass on that.

I dunno.. like I said I struggle with it all.. trying to make sense of the illogical is painful.

Tough one agreed, but stacks of cash or money sign from Mansel bother me on a whole lot of levels and racism not being one of them, immaturity, arrogance, lack of focus on hockey, show off and taking from hard working people of Buffalo and Cleveland and rubbing their noses in it. Edited by Icehole

I wouldn't think so. Well then again Chris Stuart isn't a white guy either.

Man, I remember that incident.

I remember this as well.  The excuse Transit Valley used was the fact he had an arrest for DWI so they denied him membership based on that.  Total BS

Let us not forget the sportsmanship demonstrated by those fine folks in Boston last spring

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/bruins-condemn-racist-tweets-subban-ot-goal-article-1.1777150

Edited by BRAWNDO

I never heard of Tony McKegney having any issues in Buffalo either.

I was about 18 when McKegney played in BFLO and my uncles referred to him as "Token".   I didn't understand at the time that that was not a good thing.  I just remember them  laughing  when he scored and said token got another one.

Byfuglien is black too and he's the fan favorite so I don't think it had much to do with Kane.

We had a few black players well before Grier in Tony McKegney and Grant Fuhr to name 2...and that was back when black players were about as represented in the NHL as they are in Akron

We had a few black players well before Grier in Tony McKegney and Grant Fuhr to name 2...and that was back when black players were about as represented in the NHL as they are in Akron

Don't forget the guy w/ one of the BEST hockey names EVER:Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre. Nor the best fighter to ever wear Sabres B&G - Val James. Not sure how he'd match up w/ Tony Twist; thus the Sabres modifier on B&G. ;) Edited by Taro T

I really hate when race comes into the topic of conversation simply because of the fact that said player is of different ethnic back-ground. It's like we get it, Kane's black, so what? It's his on ice performance that matters. it can be an extra-terrestrial life form from deep space and I really wouldn't care as long as its putting up good numbers. Someone on a different site suggested the Sabres get Kane because it would "draw the inner city" crowd.. That's one of the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Some people suggested that Kane should be put on a line with Stewart, because he's black, he can "mentor" him, again ridiculous. I though the civil rights movement was years ago. Why even bring up race? It gives the very small minority of people who are racist attention and influence

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.