Did Mike Grier face any racial issues in Buffalo?

SDS

I really hate when race comes into the topic of conversation simply because of the fact that said player is of different ethnic back-ground. It's like we get it, Kane's black, so what? It's his on ice performance that matters. it can be an extra-terrestrial life form from deep space and I really wouldn't care as long as its putting up good numbers. Someone on a different site suggested the Sabres get Kane because it would "draw the inner city" crowd.. That's one of the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Some people suggested that Kane should be put on a line with Stewart, because he's black, he can "mentor" him, again ridiculous. I though the civil rights movement was years ago. Why even bring up race? It gives the very small minority of people who are racist attention and influence

I brought it up because some reporters reported that Kane had issues in Winnipeg that fell along racial lines. The question was asked so as to compare and contrast player experiences from the two areas.

As a white male, I cannot speak to the mindset and challenges that a black man faces in life. I can say, I am disturbed/heart-broken/embarrassed by society when players are cowardly jeered and taunted either at a live event or through social media. Joel Ward in Boston is the most recent example I can recall, and before that, I thought it was again Ward playing one of the games in Europe, and the host city was chanting a derogatory word in their native language. Sad that people find that funny.

I would be VERY curious to know when players get in each other's ear, what kind of things are off limits. I don't know if it was Barnaby or Ray talking about the unimaginable things said to an opponent to get under their skin. I am certainly not dismissing it as being acceptable for a player to use it as a competitive tool to get a personal reaction, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how that helps a fan feel better about themselves. Personally, there's not a place for it anywhere.

I brought it up because some reporters reported that Kane had issues in Winnipeg that fell along racial lines. The question was asked so as to compare and contrast player experiences from the two areas.

While neither a shield from nor a cause of racism, sometimes an established minority community can help minority folks feel more welcome.  African Canadian folks make up 2.7% of Winnipeg's population (as of 2011).  African Americans number 38% in the City of Buffalo, 13% across the Buffalo-Niagara region.

But regardless of the demographic makeup of the area, I hope we make Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf feel welcome in our community.

And you could joke and say, "yeah, they'd be welcome until they didn't perform on the ice," but I'd like them to be welcomed as citizens living in our area regardless.  There's a reason so many Buffalo Sabres alumni stay or come back here.

Tough one agreed, but stacks of cash or money sign from Mansel bother me on a whole lot of levels and racism not being one of them, immaturity, arrogance, lack of focus on hockey, show off and taking from hard working people of Buffalo and Cleveland and rubbing their noses in it.

Yea.. I think because I don't pay attention to football really the Mansiel thing doesn't bother me straight away. However, as you mention it, I do think about it and think he's an idiot for doing it.  Then again I hate people and their egos and those who think they are bigger than the world.  Celebrating is one thing.  Acting like you are some great asset to the planet is quite another.

I really hate when race comes into the topic of conversation simply because of the fact that said player is of different ethnic back-ground. It's like we get it, Kane's black, so what? It's his on ice performance that matters. it can be an extra-terrestrial life form from deep space and I really wouldn't care as long as its putting up good numbers. Someone on a different site suggested the Sabres get Kane because it would "draw the inner city" crowd.. That's one of the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Some people suggested that Kane should be put on a line with Stewart, because he's black, he can "mentor" him, again ridiculous. I though the civil rights movement was years ago. Why even bring up race? It gives the very small minority of people who are racist attention and influence

Yea, I don't know how putting Kane on a line with Stewart would do anything to help mentor him.  It's hockey.  Now, perhaps through their cultural upbringing (I don't know Kane's but we had a great article on Stewart's) they might share some similar activities.  I don't know.  I know I can't speak to the racism that exists in this world and while I can certainly speak against it I won't notice it nor will I ever feel it the way that those who are subjected to it will.  Have I been the victim of racism?  Sure.  But it was an isolated incident.  Those who are subjected to it and still hear some terms used and be stereotyped a certain way have to deal with it much more often.

I've heard intelligent people speak (of many races) speak to the fact that as long as we continue to discuss race then race will continue to be a topic of conversation.  I think there's truth to that.  It seems that people need to point out skin color as something of relevancy.  Kane is a human being, a hockey player, a guy who poses on Las Vegas balconies with wads of cash.  The fact that his skin is a different shade doesn't make any of that different.  Not to me anyway.

Here's the thing with race: in today's day and age, you can't prove it. It's not like people stand up and say "I'm criticizing this guy's character because he's black."

Furthermore it's gotten to a point where there's enough genetic mixing that we see much more varying shades of skin color.  So, at some point, it's irrelevant.  It's like saying you are Italian when your great-great grandfather came from Italy and married a German woman.  They had your grandfather who married a nice woman with Russian-Irish heritage and had your mother who married a guy who was born of an Asian-French relationship.

Mutt.

Skin color is the same way.  Although people still like to be racist about it.  You aren't black enough to be black and you aren't white enough to be white.  That's one of the better one's you hear these days.  :doh:

Essentially when every fan immediately called him a "thug" after the trade it was obvious that there were always racial issues. 'Thug' is the new way to say 'n-word' without actually saying it (in many, not all situations). This is one of those situations.

Essentially when every fan immediately called him a "thug" after the trade it was obvious that there were always racial issues. 'Thug' is the new way to say 'n-word' without actually saying it (in many, not all situations). This is one of those situations.

Are you referring to Grier?  Were folks calling him a thug?  I don't recall that at all.

Ahhhh.  Winnipeg fans?  I give it a big meh.  The worst folks come out of the woodwork when someone is out the door.   "Every" seems overstating things to me.  By a lot.

A vast majority of Winnipeg fans that voiced their opinions in a public space demeaned him as a human and it's no stretch to assume many were racially motivated. I said "essentially" to cover for "every."

What a stupid ###### thing to say.

I use the term thug if a player or person acts like a thug, because, you know, it's behavioral. There's no racial intent behind it at all and to suggest so is ridiculous. Richie Incognito is a thug. Logan Mankins is a thug. Cortland Finnegan is a thug. Ndamukong Suh is a thug. Jared Allen is a thug. Albert Haynesworth was a thug. Milan Lucic is a thug. Zdeno Chara is a thug. Brad Marchand is a thug. Matt Cooke is a thug. Matt Barnes is a thug. Patrick Kaleta is a thug. John Scott is a thug. Chris Pronger was a thug. Blake Griffin is a thug. Kobe Bryant is a thug. Bruce Bowen was a thug. Bill Laimbeer was a thug. Zinedine Zidane is a thug. Asamoah Gyan is a thug. Luis Suarez is a thug. Vladimir Putin is a thug. Richard Trumka is a thug. And many, many, many more. Don't wanna be called a thug? Don't act like it, then.

I find it annoying and infuriating that some people have taken a word that literally can apply to anyone who acts like it and have pigeon-holed it into thinking that the use of the word automatically implies racial meaning. Sick and tired of people like you taking words and changing the meaning entirely. If you hear the word "thug" and automatically think "n-word," guess what? You're the problem.

Edited by TheMatrix31

I use the term thug if a player or person acts like a thug, because, you know, it's behavioral. There's no racial intent behind it at all and to suggest so is ridiculous. Richie Incognito is a thug. Logan Mankins is a thug. Cortland Finnegan is a thug. Ndamukong Suh is a thug. Jared Allen is a thug. Albert Haynesworth was a thug. Milan Lucic is a thug. Zdeno Chara is a thug. Brad Marchand is a thug. Matt Cooke is a thug. Matt Barnes is a thug. Patrick Kaleta is a thug. John Scott is a thug. Chris Pronger was a thug. Blake Griffin is a thug. Kobe Bryant is a thug. Bruce Bowen was a thug. Bill Laimbeer was a thug. Zinedine Zidane is a thug. Asamoah Gyan is a thug. Luis Suarez is a thug. Vladimir Putin is a thug. Richard Trumka is a thug. And many, many, many more. Don't wanna be called a thug? Don't act like it, then.

I find it annoying and infuriating that some people have taken a word that literally can apply to anyone who acts like it and have pigeon-holed it into thinking that the use of the word automatically implies racial meaning. Sick and tired of people like you taking words and changing the meaning entirely. If you hear the word "thug" and automatically think "n-word," guess what? You're the problem.

Wow. That's racist.

Where is the "head in the sand" emoji?

And besides, everyone knows that white guys are punks, black guys are thugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Never heard one person call him a thug. As I stated, Bufuglien is black. That is 100% not the case. The problem with Kane was he put himself before the team, and didn't act like a professional. Can you provide me with any proof of any Winnipeg fan calling Kane a thug? Or anything remotely racist? I sure as he'll can't and I know thousands of jets fans.

I missed this one.  Thug is a word I've used a million times to describe countless hockey players.  I won't let someone tell me it is suddenly racist.

Wait, if I've used it a million times, how could the quantity of hockey players be countless?  Now I've gone and confused myself.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.