GoPro Camera & NHL Deal (Hey not about tank)

Johnny DangerFace

Would anyone like to see this in regular season and playoff broadcasts? (skip to 1 minute if impatient)

http://gizmodo.com/t...visi-1681354857

...The NHL/NHLPA just inked a deal with GoPro to bring action cams to televised hockey across the United States and Canada using the camera company's newly developed broadcast solution. Basically, in order for GoPros to be usable in live broadcast settings, the company had to develop a very small very lightweight wireless transmitter. The inaugural usage will be this weekend's skills competition before the All Star Game. The cameras are ready for use during the game itself, but it's not 100 percent clear whether they'll be used in the broadcast.
The path forward after this weekend isn't totally clear, but broadly, you should expect to see more and more GoPro footage. It's not clear if regular season games will see players with GoPros mounted to their heads, or if they cameras will just be littered around the rink. GoPro tells me that that "NHL and NHLPA have the technology and are free to use it as little as much as they want." They're not contractually obligated to, though, and players can be resistant to such tech.

GiftedTornCobra.gif

I'd never want to watch it during a game (I don't even like the behind the net view they do now), but it is awesome when they have skill showcases like this and use it

you suck

No. I don't think it increases my ability to follow the play and with the myopic focus, you would lose too much of what others are doing. As a play replay mechanism, sure, but only in limited doses.

you suck

No, everything is about me.

you suck

:beer:

High angle camera panning left to right and right to left is the missionary position of angles. It's all you really need, and all you've ever needed. Maybe, just maybe, you get frisky and use the camera behind the net on a power play. But that's starting to get a little crazy for some of us old-timers. A camera on a player? That's Fifty Shades of Grey .

High angle camera panning left to right and right to left is the missionary position of angles. It's all you really need, and all you've ever needed. Maybe, just maybe, you get frisky and use the camera behind the net on a power play. But that's starting to get a little crazy for some of us old-timers. A camera on a player? That's Fifty Shades of Grey ######.

so in this analogy. would putting the pillow under the butt be more fox glow puck? or more digital ads on the end glass?

I'm currently not a fan. The skills comp was not better for it.

There wasn't really anything to capture in it. It needs to live-speed action. That's what it was made for (well, it was made for amateur surfers but surfing is a high-speed water event).

There wasn't really anything to capture in it. It needs to live-speed action. That's what it was made for (well, it was made for amateur surfers but surfing is a high-speed water event).

They used it in the shoot out but it's just so unstable. I don't know how this is usable.

They used it in the shoot out but it's just so unstable. I don't know how this is usable.

I don't think it is. It feels like shaky tunnel vision. It's a cool idea but at this point it's a little too Blair Witch Project for me.

Could be fun from time to time, but if it makes the helmet heavy and awkward (as Z says in the article below) I think they'll have a hard time getting the players to buy-in:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/all-star-notebook-girgensons-wins-race-in-skills-event-20150123

Edited by biodork

Could be fun from time to time, but if it makes the helmet heavy and awkward (as Z says in the article below) I think they'll have a hard time getting the players to buy-in:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/all-star-notebook-girgensons-wins-race-in-skills-event-20150123

I get a headache and dizzy just from watching the damn videos that you guys are posting up here.

I find it hilarious that I just complained that I'm sick of the GoPro perspective in the complaint thread and then the very next day, the NHL made their announcement.

With that said, I think I would love to see it used, but only on the refs. I think it would vindicate them a lot from us complaining about calls/non-calls if we could see what that saw.

(It's easier for me to just say here that I'm not sure if I used the word "vindicate" correctly than it is to look it up, but you know what I mean.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.