Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Murph, in my opinion, is a shining example of what happens if you stay in one place and play it safe long enough that people will start calling you a legend.

Well stated.

His PBP is so lackluster, with the singular exception of that Drayton Florence touchdown from a few years back.

His color commentary was better.

Agreed. He is a nice man, and a capable pro in many respects. But being the radio voice of an NFL franchise is beyond his range. No shame in that.

The tendency that drives me the most nuts -- in the biggest moments, what he almost always offers is this: "TOUCHDOWN! TOUCHDOWN! TOUCHDOWN!"

Maybe I group Murph with Rob Ray. Two guys whom I like a lot, but am concerned they're not being utilized in the right way.

Agreed. He is a nice man, and a capable pro in many respects. But being the radio voice of an NFL franchise is beyond his range. No shame in that.

The tendency that drives me the most nuts -- in the biggest moments, what he almost always offers is this: "TOUCHDOWN! TOUCHDOWN! TOUCHDOWN!"

Maybe I group Murph with Rob Ray. Two guys whom I like a lot, but am concerned they're not being utilized in the right way.

Well, nobody can accuse him of Dunleavying the scoring plays ;)

REALLY liked him as Miller's color guy. Not overly impressed w/ him as PbP. Like Kelso as color now, though.

Pegula announces Doug Whaley and Rex Ryan will return next season.

"As our first full season as owners of the Buffall Bills draws to a close, management, coaches, players and fans all feel that our expectations were not met.

Kim, Russ and I look forward to working and collaborating with Doug Whaley and Rex Ryan in forming a winning future for the organization. Our management team and coaching staff are very capable and work well together. This stable foundation is necessary to achieve long term success in the NFL."

Edited by Hoss

Not sure why people thought and wanted other wise. I thought you made a pretty solid case as to why they should and will be back.

I think continuity is extremely important in sports, and especially in football where schemes and familiarity play a crucial role in success. Even if Rex isn't the best coach (I think he is a good defensive coach), maintaining continuity in the type of players you need, playbook terms and such allow the players to play fast and react rather than think throughout the game.

I think continuity is extremely important in sports, and especially in football where schemes and familiarity play a crucial role in success. Even if Rex isn't the best coach (I think he is a good defensive coach), maintaining continuity in the type of players you need, playbook terms and such allow the players to play fast and react rather than think throughout the game.

Rex certainly was a good defensive coach.  The evidence indicates that he's not anymore.  Did you see the defense this year?

That's going to be the refrain for your 2016 Buffalo Bills: We just need continuity!  (It's already happening)

Rex certainly was a good defensive coach.  The evidence indicates that he's not anymore.  Did you see the defense this year?

That's going to be the refrain for your 2016 Buffalo Bills: We just need continuity!  (It's already happening)

I'm willing to bank on the track record of Rex Ryan's teams over the past 10+ years. I know his defense ranks have been weakest in the last three years, but didn't forget everything about coaching defense.

I'm willing to bank on the track record of Rex Ryan's teams over the past 10+ years. I know his defense ranks have been weakest in the last three years, but didn't forget everything about coaching defense.

If the defense rebounds next year, do I get the greatest "I told you so" in modern Sabrespace history? It has to be up there.

Yes, but you also need to be similarly beaten down if the defense still sucks.  Where is your proof?

A supposed "mastermind" defensive coach.  Here's some stats for you comparing the Bills defense from 2014 to 2015:

Total defense from #4 in NFL to #20

DVOA (because I know you like stats) from #2 to #29(!!!)

Team sacks from 54 to 20

Team interceptions from 19 to 14

Forced fumbles/fumble recoveries from 15/11 to 9/8

Marcel Dareus from 10 sacks to 2

Mario Williams from 42 tackles and 14.5 sacks to 17(!!!) and 4

A supposed defensive genius does not produce this pitifully for even one season with essentially the same personnel and adding Darby.  Based on the historical trend that Hoss posted above, it's likely to continue.  Maybe the rest of the NFL has learned how to beat Rex's defenses and/or offenses have simply passed him by and he's not a good defensive coach anymore?  It's happened to many others over the years.

Yes, but you also need to be similarly beaten down if the defense still sucks.  Where is your proof?

A supposed "mastermind" defensive coach.  Here's some stats for you comparing the Bills defense from 2014 to 2015:

Total defense from #4 in NFL to #20

DVOA (because I know you like stats) from #2 to #29(!!!)

Team sacks from 54 to 20

Team interceptions from 19 to 14

Forced fumbles/fumble recoveries from 15/11 to 9/8

Marcel Dareus from 10 sacks to 2

Mario Williams from 42 tackles and 14.5 sacks to 17(!!!) and 4

A supposed defensive genius does not produce this pitifully for even one season with essentially the same personnel and adding Darby.  Based on the historical trend that Hoss posted above, it's likely to continue.  Maybe the rest of the NFL has learned how to beat Rex's defenses and/or offenses have simply passed him by and he's not a good defensive coach anymore?  It's happened to many others over the years.

If the Bills defense is bad once again next season, I will happily and readily admit that what Rex likes to do doesn't work anymore. But I will be very, very surprised if he doesn't field a top-12 or so defense. I think this calls for an avatar bet.

If the Bills defense is bad once again next season, I will happily and readily admit that what Rex likes to do doesn't work anymore. But I will be very, very surprised f he doesn't field a top-12 or so defense. I think this calls for an avatar bet.

Top 12? Measured by what?

Pegula announces Doug Whaley and Rex Ryan will return next season.

"As our first full season as owners of the Buffall Bills draws to a close, management, coaches, players and fans all feel that our expectations were not met.

Kim, Russ and I look forward to working and collaborating with Doug Whaley and Rex Ryan in forming a winning future for the organization. Our management team and coaching staff are very capable and work well together. This stable foundation is necessary to achieve long term success in the NFL."

Kim, Russ and I? Am I mixing up teams? Didn't Brandon emphatically say he wouldn't be involved in the football side of things?

Just how closely will this mirror the Sabres' story? So far, it's spot on.

Kim, Russ and I? Am I mixing up teams? Didn't Brandon emphatically say he wouldn't be involved in the football side of things?

Just how closely will this mirror the Sabres' story? So far, it's spot on.

I'm not quite where you are on the Pegulas, but I actually said allowed when I read the statement that it was weird. It's also weird to throw Russ in with... your wife.

Team announced it on Twitter.

I've figured Twitter out -- Someone tweets, and if it's interesting to me, Hoss posts it on SabreSpace.

Grateful!

If the Bills defense is bad once again next season, I will happily and readily admit that what Rex likes to do doesn't work anymore. But I will be very, very surprised if he doesn't field a top-12 or so defense. I think this calls for an avatar bet.

You need to sandbag if you're looking for bets. You've been to convincing for anyone to take the other side.

Try this ... "Oh, I dunno, guys ... Rex may be out of his depth .... I don't have a good feeling about next year .... I MIGHT wager, as dumb as that would be ....".

After ROR, you'll not be able to offer a proposition again.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.