Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Well, I think it's part of his job, but far from all of it.  His participation, now and historically, in hiring the GM and coach was substantial and was the part of his job that had the biggest impact on the relentlessly mediocre on-field product.

He was a prince until the end, and even afterwards.  But he had a blind spot when it came to spending money on GMs and coaches.

And Brandon was a big part of it.

I guess our views on how much involved Brandon is with the product that's put on the field differs.  My view is that he is a marketing guy and his participation is from a marketing perspective only.  Poor decisions can come from that such as for instance Rex Ryan would be a better choice for marketing purposes than say a Hue Jackson, but I don't think Brandon has much sway in coaches and players anymore.

Yes he was GM for a short, dark period of time, but I think it was then recognized that his talents lie elsewhere.  How a team who has missed the playoffs 16 years and counting can set a season ticket record, fill luxury boxes, and have abundant corporate sponsorships is beyond me, but Russ Brandon has somehow primarily done that.  He has not primarily been responsible for the on field product.

You have zero evidence for this. None. This is pA and GoDD style speculation. Ralph's reluctance to spend money well predates Brandon's ascension in the franchise. 

That's the problem I have with it, unless freeman knows something I don't. 

I think what I wrote wasn't precise.  I didn't mean to imply that Brandon was cheap like Ralph when it came to coaches and GMs -- just that Brandon was a big part of the string of poor hiring choices (which, admittedly, came from a limited pool due to Ralph's cheapness). 

What did you expect him to say publicly? That his current roster is just much dumber than those he's had in the past and they're incapable of grasping his defense? That they all played well below their capabilities?

Rex is many things, but he's not one to throw his players under the bus. I think he took the bullet for them. As they say, actions speak louder than words, and I expect a significant personnel turnover on the defensive side.

I think what I wrote wasn't precise. I didn't mean to imply that Brandon was cheap like Ralph when it came to coaches and GMs -- just that Brandon was a big part of the string of poor hiring choices (which, admittedly, came from a limited pool due to Ralph's cheapness).

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

Rex is many things, but he's not one to throw his players under the bus. I think he took the bullet for them. As they say, actions speak louder than words, and I expect a significant personnel turnover on the defensive side.

He might not be one to throw anyone under the bus, but I'm completely content with pinning the failures of this defense more on him than anyone else (ie. Whaley).  Whaley handed him essentially the same exact defense that was great last year, adding in the potential defensive rookie of the year.  I'm not so sure what else Whaley was supposed to do.

He might not be one to throw anyone under the bus, but I'm completely content with pinning the failures of this defense more on him than anyone else (ie. Whaley). Whaley handed him essentially the same exact defense that was great last year, adding in the potential defensive rookie of the year. I'm not so sure what else Whaley was supposed to do.

I'm not pinning it on Whaley, I'm pointing at the players. For those who think Rex's scheme is the primary culprit, I have yet to see anyone explain why that scheme worked just fine under Pettine en route to a top-5 defense. If Ryan was so horrible this year, wouldn't you think he would have dragged a rookie corner down with the rest of the team?

I'm not pinning it on Whaley, I'm pointing at the players. For those who think Rex's scheme is the primary culprit, I have yet to see anyone explain why that scheme worked just fine under Pettine en route to a top-5 defense. If Ryan was so horrible this year, wouldn't you think he would have dragged a rookie corner down with the rest of the team?

I'll give you this:  the linebackers have underperformed.  But decisions like dropping Mario Williams into pass coverage are moronic.

It really was an ideal situation for Darby.  Corners with any talent seem to work out pretty well in a Rex scheme.  Then couple that with having a guy like Glimore already out there, it couldn't get much better.

I probably should have left Whaley out of my post all together.  A negative against Rex doesn't automatically give Whaley a pass.  They can both screw up.

I've been sliding away from the Bills and football for the past few years, but this year's team seems to have had the best shot at doing something (anything!) until stupid mistakes not just happened, but keep happening. I should have been excited to watch the game against the local Eagles, I should have had people to my house to watch. I went for a hike with my family; it was a nice day. Maybe that's more about my situation than this team, but it seems like it'd have been harder to not watch if this team wasn't going to shoot itself in the foot; just like they always do.

Edited by MattPie

It is eerie how much I share the writer's sentiments. Most recently, I watched a good portion of the Eagles game but later learned of the outcome in an off-hand way from the child in my home who cares the least about our local pro sports teams (although she'll gladly petition for a cool team hoodie or zip-up if we're at the team store). Just - meh.

Talley says we don't play as a team, and it's the players problem 

Everybody’s doing their own thing,” Talley said. “They’re supposed to be working together like five fingers on a glove. All of them. That’s what made us different because we could beat you on offense, we could beat you on defense, we could beat you with special teams. Right now, they aren’t really beating you any kind of way.

“There’s no pattern, no come-from-behind, there’s no... nothing.”

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/14/analysis-lack-of-discipline-lack-of-togetherness-feed-flag-filled-season/

It is eerie how much I share the writer's sentiments. Most recently, I watched a good portion of the Eagles game but later learned of the outcome in an off-hand way from the child in my home who cares the least about our local pro sports teams (although she'll gladly petition for a cool team hoodie or zip-up if we're at the team store). Just - meh.

We'll probably get along then.... ;)

The Bills have their football czar. Terry Pegula.

I'm not sure whether this is true. But it might be.

Kim describes her husband’s direct involvement in [Pegula Sports and Entertainment] as “like zero.” In fact, Terry has yet to even visit the new offices since PSE’s move from the 31st floor of One Seneca Tower in August, although Kim keeps him current on what goes on inside the company.

“If you want to call it my ‘baby,’ yeah, it’s definitely me,” she says. “It’s the areas that I have an interest in, that I pay the most attention to. It’s the creative, it’s the business development, finance, broadcasting and content. Obviously, Terry thoroughly knows that this is here, but it’s the same as when we walk into First Niagara Center. He goes left, to the ice, to the GM’s office, and I go right, to marketing, PR, content. Same thing in football.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/18/kim-pegula-buffalos-first-lady-of-sports/

Edited by That Aud Smell

I guess a lot of it is true, for the Bills and 20 other teams. To say that the playoffs are so far off is ridiculous. Two or three calls reversed and this team is leading the wild card race in spite of all these perceived shortcomings. I understand the frustration built by the last 16 years but if a new guy came in, somehow found a way to draft Andrew Luck and then proceeded to go 6-10, 9-7, 8-8 we would all be talking how a tweak here and there and they are Suprr Bowl contenders.

Instead, 16 years has created a legion of whiner line callers.

Oh, and the Jets have the lowest strength of victory, by far, of any of the playoff contenders.

Edited by tom webster

Pettine's defense wasn't top five, was it? I distinctly remember run defense being an issue with him, though the sacks and turnovers were definitely there. When Schwartz kept those numbers up but did whatever he did to tweak the run defense, that's when it became a top five defense.

Pettine's defense wasn't top five, was it? I distinctly remember run defense being an issue with him, though the sacks and turnovers were definitely there. When Schwartz kept those numbers up but did whatever he did to tweak the run defense, that's when it became a top five defense.

It was 4th in overall DVOA and 5th in weighted DVOA. Yes the run defense was a weak link, but I think that was mostly due to game situation--teams up late, running to protect a lead, and doing it effectively because the defense was worn out thanks to no possession time on offense. Last year they were 2nd in both weighted and unweighted DVOA, with different splits--worse against the pass but better against the run.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

I guess a lot of it is true, for the Bills and 20 other teams. To say that the playoffs are so far off is ridiculous. Two or three calls reversed and this team is leading the wild card race in spite of all these perceived shortcomings. I understand the frustration built by the last 16 years but if a new guy came in, somehow found a way to draft Andrew Luck and then proceeded to go 6-10, 9-7, 8-8 we would all be talking how a tweak here and there and they are Suprr Bowl contenders.

Instead, 16 years has created a legion of whiner line callers.

Oh, and the Jets have the lowest strength of victory, by far, of any of the playoff contenders.

It's a broken record year after year after year....

Just a tweak here and there.  Just this.  Just that.

There should be many, many more whiner line callers than there are already.

They've (the NFL and the Bills) finally worn me down to where Claude is and it's going to take a whole heck of a lot to bring me back.  I'm not buying into anything until there's ample reason to do so.

It was 4th in overall DVOA and 5th in weighted DVOA. Yes the run defense was a weak link, but I think that was mostly due to game situation--teams up late, running to protect a lead, and doing it effectively because the defense was worn out thanks to no possession time on offense. Last year they were 2nd in both weighted and unweighted DVOA, with different splits--worse against the pass but better against the run.

Mkay. When I hear "top five defense" and "number one/two/three defense" on television or radio shows, is this the ranking they use? Or do some people use this, some use total yards given up, some total points given up, etc?

It's a broken record year after year after year....

Just a tweak here and there. Just this. Just that.

There should be many, many more whiner line callers than there are already.

They've (the NFL and the Bills) finally worn me down to where Claude is and it's going to take a whole heck of a lot to bring me back. I'm not buying into anything until there's ample reason to do so.

I understand completely. Just don't agree and think it's kind of sad.

Mkay. When I hear "top five defense" and "number one/two/three defense" on television or radio shows, is this the ranking they use? Or do some people use this, some use total yards given up, some total points given up, etc?

Without knowing specifically who is saying what, I'd bet heavily that they're simply referring to the NFL's traditional ranking by yards allowed. While I'm sure there's some correlation between that ranking and the actual quality of the defense,  I think it's wholly inferior to DVOA and there's no real reason to reference it. I'd understand if DVOA was only accessible via subscription, but it's not, it's free.

Even by traditional ranking, Pettine's defense was still 10th. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

I understand completely. Just don't agree and think it's kind of sad.

I agree it is sad that the franchise has gotten to this point.  I've been a Bills fan my whole life: been to countless games, bought countless merchandise, fought countless battles defending the Bills.  I'm just over it now.  I'm still a Bills fan, just a very detached one now.  I'll pay attention to them kinda like I do the NBA (check the standings every couple weeks and pay attention to what's generally going on in the league).

I agree it is sad that the franchise has gotten to this point. I've been a Bills fan my whole life: been to countless games, bought countless merchandise, fought countless battles defending the Bills. I'm just over it now. I'm still a Bills fan, just a very detached one now. I'll pay attention to them kinda like I do the NBA (check the standings every couple weeks and pay attention to what's generally going on in the league).

They are in as good or better shape then 20 other franchises. Unless the NFL completely loses you, you will be back.

Edited by tom webster

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.