Star Wars - now with SPOILERS! (Read at your own risk)

Robviously

I've read recently on the failures of 1,2, and partially 3,6 and they all have a common theme. George Lucas wrote them. In episodes 5,6, there were two specific writers that were responsible for the films, one of which was also responsible for Raiders of the Lost Arc. Him and Lucas got into it in Episode 6 because Lucas is an idiot and wanted to make action movies for kids (looking at you, Ewoks), and the writer never came back.

Well, guess what? That writer came back to work with JJ Abrahams on the newest Star Wars. yeah

Wow. Just wow. This would've been a very interesting story. Too bad Lucas didn't think this way. Fav line was Yoda saying "Over this ain't." Had me lmao.

And that's awesome a successful writer came back! I did not know Lucas lost someone very important due his want to make Star Wars a bit childish. Thanks for pointing that out!

Wow. Just wow. This would've been a very interesting story. Too bad Lucas didn't think this way. Fav line was Yoda saying "Over this ###### ain't." Had me lmao.

And that's awesome a successful writer came back! I did not know Lucas lost someone very important due his want to make Star Wars a bit childish. Thanks for pointing that out!

Right? He does one for both Episodes 1,2 as well, but the one for Episode 1 isn't as good because he's kinda jumpy and the animation isn't there; still, the story line is a hell of a lot better. I definitely recommend checking his out for Episode 2, it's just as good. He also addresses the role of Yoda in the Episode 2 one (vehement against Yoda ever using a lightsabre), and does a way, way better job at developing Obi-Wan as an actually interesting character, rather than some dude who's just in charge of babysitting a terrible actor

I'm stoked for The Force Awakens. At first it was, well, Star Wars, and no Lucas. But then I learned Abrams is directing it, and he killed Star Wars. Combine that with the return of one of the main people responsible for Episode 5, hands down the greatest of the series and one of two Episodes without major, major flaws, and I couldn't be happier

Edited by WildCard

Right? He does one for both Episodes 1,2 as well, but the one for Episode 1 isn't as good because he's kinda jumpy and the animation isn't there; still, the story line is a hell of a lot better. I definitely recommend checking his out for Episode 2, it's just as good. He also addresses the role of Yoda in the Episode 2 one (vehement against Yoda ever using a lightsabre), and does a way, way better job at developing Obi-Wan as an actually interesting character, rather than some dude who's just in charge of babysitting a terrible actor

I'm stoked for The Force Awakens. At first it was, well, Star Wars, and no Lucas. But then I learned Abrams is directing it, and he killed Star Wars. Combine that with the return of one of the main people responsible for Episode 5, hands down the greatest of the series and one of two Episodes without major, major flaws, and I couldn't be happier

I'm going to check out the other Episodes he made. It's great that writer returned. Something involving Liam Neeson relates to it. He never took a look at the script for The Phantom Menace. Liam signed on simply because he wanted to be in a Star Wars movie. Had he read the script maybe he would've expressed his opinion and word would have got out how terrible it was. Lucas being Lucas probably would've stayed w/ his original, but one can always wonder. 

Bought mine the day after Thanksgiving. Got it just in time. Place was sold out the next day.

I looked at getting tickets and in the course of deciding on a showing I noticed that there was a normal amount of time between them as a regular movie. Most theaters will be increasing security I'm guessing. They have to, right? All those people and all that BO?! Anyways, I bailed on getting tickets. I sensed that I would feel a great disturbance if I put myself in that scene. I'll wait a bit.

Just a thought. For those that see the movie tomorrow or any time in the near future, maybe put all of your posts under spoiler? Or how about starting another Star Wars thread for those that have seen it? This can help prevent any type of spoiling.

I'm seeing it tomorrow on the 17th, out of respect for everyone here I will not share anything about the movie. Maybe just its freakin awesome comment.

So the whole fam damily is going to this Saturday night,  I wonder how much accumulated time we are going to waste as a species to see this ?

Do you mean as in length of movie or standing in line? I'll be seeing a show at 11:20 tonight. When Episode 3 came out, I had to be there a few hours early to guarantee a good seat. I'm aiming for 8:30 or so tonight. For movies not as big as this, I don't go on premier night. The day after is no problem at all if you have already have tickets. Seating won't be much as in issue as it will be tonight. I would show up at least a 1/2 hour early though.  

Edited by Thanes16

Do you mean as in length of movie or standing in line? I'll be seeing a show at 11:20 tonight. When Episode 3 came out, I had to be there a few hours early to guarantee a good seat. I'm aiming for 8:30 or so tonight. For movies not as big as this, I don't go on premier night. The day after is no problem at all if you have already have tickets. Seating won't be much as in issue as it will be tonight. I would show up at least a 1/2 hour early though.  

I meant the actual movie itself.  Let's say it grosses $3B (conservative estimate, I think) and is 2 hours long (guess).  For simple math, let's say a ticket cost 10 bucks. That means 300M people will have seen it.  And those 300M will have spent 2 hours each or 600M hours.   Good time to attack the planet, don't ya think?

I meant the actual movie itself.  Let's say it grosses $3B (conservative estimate, I think) and is 2 hours long (guess).  For simple math, let's say a ticket cost 10 bucks. That means 300M people will have seen it.  And those 300M will have spent 2 hours each or 600M hours.   Good time to attack the planet, don't ya think?

Not sure the people at the movie would be the ones capable of defending the planet anyway.

post-1429-0-52783100-1450358865_thumb.jpg

…and is it really worth defending.

The trailers really bother me because they're all about nostalgia. And Han's line "All those stories you heard, they're all true." What a dumb line. I hope somebody just asked him if it's true that he has a 3 foot wiener.

The prequels were entirely unlike the originals while granting the story of the originals an absurd amount of importance (boba fett is now every storm trooper, vader is the most important piece of every puzzle). I'm worried that this movie will go too hard on the sequel stuff.

The trailers really bother me because they're all about nostalgia. And Han's line "All those stories you heard, they're all true." What a dumb line. I hope somebody just asked him if it's true that he has a 3 foot wiener.

The prequels were entirely unlike the originals while granting the story of the originals an absurd amount of importance (boba fett is now every storm trooper, vader is the most important piece of every puzzle). I'm worried that this movie will go too hard on the sequel stuff.

The reviews seem positive so far. I think everyone is going into this movie worried that it'll just be endless nods to the original trilogy. Evidently they've been pleasantly surprised. It appears we should expect some reference, but for the most part it shouldn't just be a huge nostalgiagasm. 

My plan is to try to watch all the movies next week at my parents' place (my dad bought the 1-6 box set), and maybe slip out to see 7 in theatres. I've never seen 2 or 3, and it's been since VHS that I saw any of the others.

Edited by MattPie

Not sure the people at the movie would be the ones capable of defending the planet anyway.

attachicon.gifstar-wars-enthusia_3270757k.jpg

…and is it really worth defending.

I hope these guys wind up hating that character.  They spend all this money to dress up as someone they know absolutely nothing about.  I kind of want them to be that guy who bought a Leino jersey a couple days after we signed him.

See I disagree on the bold. this is taking place 30 yrs after the original trilogy.  So a young woman asking if what happened was all legend or true, and him explaining they're all true, isn't too unbelievable.  It's like me asking my grandfather if all the stories his army buddy's tell me are true, to which he'll reply "of course..."

I am way too excited for this movie.  I'm pissed, my sister bought tickets to see it tonight at an AMC in Buffalo with a couple of her coworkers.  I'm the one that introduced her to Star Wars, and she can't even wait to come home for Christmas break to see it with her big brother?! Gah! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.