Star Wars - now with SPOILERS! (Read at your own risk)

Robviously

How else is a dude who's 3ft going to beat a 6'5'' man when they are both the same speed of lightsaber? He's gotta change his angle of attack, or Dooku would just beat him to death. 

A new movie comes out in 2018, with a host of new enemies. It's taking so long because the director is, ironically, working on a Star Wars project  :lol:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/470353-updates-on-legendary-and-tohos-new-godzilla-movies

I expect the 2nd movie to be much more action packed and a lot less character driven. I was pretty mad with the 1st movie just following that soldier the whole time, killing off Cranston so early, and completely miss using Ken Watanabe. But, I think, like the first Batman, they'll knock the 2nd one out of the park

1 of the problems with Godzilla is they tried to use the Jaws theory of monsters. Keep it hidden and unseen and it will be scary. The problem is that in the case of Jaws it isn't just that you don't see it but that the threat of it is ever present. Jaws could simply appear and kill. The first Godzilla movie was half shots of Godzilla walking places, not exactly hair raising.

How else is a dude who's 3ft going to beat a 6'5'' man when they are both the same speed of lightsaber? He's gotta change his angle of attack, or Dooku would just beat him to death. 

Ideal scene for me: Yoda stands there and parries every attack for a minute or so, furrows his eyebrows, and in one master stroke dispatches Dooku.

1 of the problems with Godzilla is they tried to use the Jaws theory of monsters. Keep it hidden and unseen and it will be scary. The problem is that in the case of Jaws it isn't just that you don't see it but that the threat of it is ever present. Jaws could simply appear and kill. The first Godzilla movie was half shots of Godzilla walking places, not exactly hair raising.

I never thought of that, a good point. The other problem with that, is Jaws and Godzilla serve two entirely different purposes. The thrill of Godzilla is his sheer monstrosity and ass-kicking abilities, the thrill of Jaws is his size but as you allude to, his random appearances. The scene that really raised my hairs on Godzilla is when he roared for the first time, and when he first used his fire. Other than that, show me monster battles, dammit!

Ideal scene for me: Yoda stands there and parries every attack for a minute or so, furrows his eyebrows, and in one master stroke dispatches Dooku.

That would actually be pretty awesome. I like this way more than the actual scene. Though Dooku's death was meant to serve as Anakin's beginning transition point, and to show his prowess. Something else could've been worked out for that though

I never thought of that, a good point. The other problem with that, is Jaws and Godzilla serve two entirely different purposes. The thrill of Godzilla is his sheer monstrosity and ass-kicking abilities, the thrill of Jaws is his size but as you allude to, his random appearances. The scene that really raised my hairs on Godzilla is when he roared for the first time, and when he first used his fire. Other than that, show me monster battles, dammit!

Yes...just, yes. 

I still think Yoda is a stoner.

Very kind, this plant is. Me very happy it makes. Bag of Cheetos or a pint of ice cream, who has, hmm?

His mom always told him if he continued his dirty dope head ways, he would turn green. She proved to be right, but he didn't mind given that all that dope awoke the force within him.

I liked the prequels when I saw them as a kid.  Having re-watched them since I don't know how anybody can compare them to the originals.  The prequels felt like a separate genre, almost.

The original trilogy was a simple adventure with fun characters.  It had a really nice wondrous fantasy tone.  I don't think they're particularly amazing or special movies, but they make you feel.  They have soul.  

The prequels were souless and boring.  Even the third one which featured child murder and the most jarring, worst justified face-heel turn in the history of ever.  Terrible on every level from screen writing to directing to acting.

Observe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXjT6Dg4E68 

The true terrible-ness starts at 2:14.

To be fair to Hayden Christensen, I don't know how any actor could have pulled that off.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you the prequels were without issue, but if you turn a similarly critical eye to the originals you find some of the very same flaws. Such as, I dunno, Luke being able to face off against both Vader and the Emporer at the same time and win with the equivalent of approximately 3 milliseconds of training relative to those two. That's not exactly what I'd call good writing.

To be fair to the writing in the prequels, I think part of the reason they felt soulless was the actor in the most pivotal role conveyed emotion about as well as an oak tree. Ewan McGregor had just as many cheeseball lines, but he pulled it off pretty well.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you the prequels were without issue, but if you turn a similarly critical eye to the originals you find some of the very same flaws. Such as, I dunno, Luke being able to face off against both Vader and the Emporer at the same time and win with the equivalent of approximately 3 milliseconds of training relative to those two. That's not exactly what I'd call good writing.

To be fair to the writing in the prequels, I think part of the reason they felt soulless was the actor in the most pivotal role conveyed emotion about as well as an oak tree. Ewan McGregor had just as many cheeseball lines, but he pulled it off pretty well.

I am so confused. The scene in jedi which you reference features Luke trying to fight his dad and his dad being reluctant to kill him. Both characters are trying to get the other to switch sides. When the emporer enters the fray he starts torturing Luke with electricity, and then gets betrayed by Vader. How is any of that bad scriptwriting? The scene is all about the characters and their motivations, not about sword fighting.

Blaming the actor(s) for the writing being bad? That's weak. The guy that wrote the story also picked the actors and directed it. I mean, watch that scene where Mace Windu dies. THAT was what Lucas was able to get out of Samuel Freakin' Jackson? He barely raises his voice or gets mad! I get that he's supposed to be a reserved jedi master or whatever, but then why is he being played by Jules Winnfield and not Morgan Freeman? Blech.

I am so confused. The scene in jedi which you reference features Luke trying to fight his dad and his dad being reluctant to kill him. Both characters are trying to get the other to switch sides. When the emporer enters the fray he starts torturing Luke with electricity, and then gets betrayed by Vader. How is any of that bad scriptwriting? The scene is all about the characters and their motivations, not about sword fighting.

Blaming the actor(s) for the writing being bad? That's weak. The guy that wrote the story also picked the actors and directed it. I mean, watch that scene where Mace Windu dies. THAT was what Lucas was able to get out of Samuel Freakin' Jackson? He barely raises his voice or gets mad! I get that he's supposed to be a reserved jedi master or whatever, but then why is he being played by Jules Winnfield and not Morgan Freeman? Blech.

But there was a whole lot of talking before the torture. The notion that Luke, who just learned what the force was about an hour earlier, could resist the call of two force masters was and remains completely and totally unbelievable to me. I found it absurd on face. I don't think there was anything in the entire storyline that reasonably justifies Luke having such a command of the force and control of his emotions. It just kind of happened at the end to make a happy ending. 

And I shouldn't be too surprised that the guy who loves Stannis is also defending Hayden Christiensen's acting by blaming it all on Lucas :p

But there was a whole lot of talking before the torture. The notion that Luke, who just learned what the force was about an hour earlier, could resist the call of two force masters was and remains completely and totally unbelievable to me. I found it absurd on face. I don't think there was anything in the entire storyline that reasonably justifies Luke having such a command of the force and control of his emotions. It just kind of happened at the end to make a happy ending. 

And I shouldn't be too surprised that the guy who loves Stannis is also defending Hayden Christiensen's acting by blaming it all on Lucas :P

I understand what you are saying. Keep in mind 4 years pass from Episode 4 to Episode 6. 

And I shouldn't be too surprised that the guy who loves Stannis is also defending Hayden Christiensen's acting by blaming it all on Lucas :p

I don't understand where this focus on skill level of characters is coming from. Not to mention that Luke is supposed to be a force prodigy. That's neither here nor there, though. Luke wins by appealing to his father's humanity. The scene has nothing to do with skill with the force. Luke gets his ass handed to him until Vader betrays Palpatine. Original Star wars was a fantasy action adventure film. The prequels are the films that focus on skill level of the characters and make the force a measurable quantity. I don't recall mind control being a part of the original trilogy at all.

And ok, mr I got bored halfway through Feast. Show Stanley's death was totally like, metaphorical and stuff.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Well, I also don't have some childhood-induced nostalgic view of the original trilogy. I didn't see them until my mid-teens (go ahead and blame my parents), at which point they were much more just good fun movies than wonder-inspiring masterpieces.

Also, this irked me so much.  I saw all the Star Wars movies when I was a kid (and loved them all), and I've seen them again as an adult older kid.  Please don't tell me that our difference of opinion is fueled by a lack of nostalgic blindness on your part.

And I shouldn't be too surprised that the guy who loves Stannis is also defending Hayden Christiensen's acting by blaming it all on Lucas :P

Wait..  THAT was what you found absurd about the movie?   :P

I understand what you are saying. Keep in mind 4 years pass from Episode 4 to Episode 6. 

Specifically a year passes between Empire, when Luke trains with Yoda for 10 minutes and Jedi, when the final confrontation takes place.  So Luke's been forcin' for at least a little while.

I am blaming Christensen's acting on bad direction and bad writing, yes.  It's true that Christensen isn't a powerhouse or anything, but he's not as bad as he was in that film.

Also, the description of that Yoda scene points out that Yoda and R2D2 already knew one another, as they were both present at Luke's birth in the prequels and apparently went on missions together in the Clone Wars cartoon. Bwahaha

You should check out clone wars season 6 episode 12. Its good. Clone wars did a good job filling the story in.

I don't understand where this focus on skill level of characters is coming from. Not to mention that Luke is supposed to be a force prodigy. That's neither here nor there, though. Luke wins by appealing to his father's humanity. The scene has nothing to do with skill with the force. Luke gets his ass handed to him until Vader betrays Palpatine. Original Star wars was a fantasy action adventure film. The prequels are the films that focus on skill level of the characters and make the force a measurable quantity. I don't recall mind control being a part of the original trilogy at all.

And ok, mr I got bored halfway through Feast. Show Stanley's death was totally like, metaphorical and stuff.

Other than "these are not the droids you're looking for", surely!

First time I've checked this out. Can't wait for Battlefront 3 to be released, but it is unfortunate it's an online only game. No story mode to enjoy. If EA really wanted to milk the Star Wars Universe, they'd make a new Rogue Squadron. They may have to purchase the rights to do that though. Rogue Squadron 2 on the GameCube was kick arss. Would enjoy a 4th one. 

Let me add it's awesome there are so many Star Wars fans on this board. If any of you have a PS4 and decide to pick up Battlefront 3, send me a friend request. Gamertag is TommyGun-16. 

Edited by Thanes16

I don't understand where this focus on skill level of characters is coming from. Not to mention that Luke is supposed to be a force prodigy. That's neither here I don't recall mind control being a part of the original trilogy at all.

Other than "these are not the droids you're looking for", surely!

Vader's air neck pinch ... "I find your lack of faith disturbing ..."

Aforementioned ... "these aren't the droids we're looking for ... move along, move along."

Luke air choking the Gammorean guards at the gate of Jabba palace.

Luke controlling Bib Fortuna into calling him a Jedi Master, who must be aloud to speak ... "You weak minded fool!"

Subsequent failed attempt to control Jabba ... "Ho-ho-ho, your Jedi mind tricks won't work on me, boy"

(Side note: it's great how not only is "Jedi" still "Jedi" in Huttese, but the whole phrase "old Jedi mind trick" remains the same, as though there aren't Huttese words for "old", "mind" or "trick".)

Plus, telekinetics:

Obi-wan's noise down the hall to get the storm troopers away from the tractor beam control.

Luke hanging upside-down on Hoth, pulling his lightsaber to him.

Luke pulling the Gammorean Guard's blaster to him before falling down in the Rancor pit.

Edited by carpandean

Vader's air neck pinch ... "I find your lack of faith disturbing ..."

Aforementioned ... "these aren't the droids we're looking for ... move along, move along."

Luke air choking the Gammorean guards at the gate of Jabba palace.

Luke controlling Bib Fortuna into calling him a Jedi Master, who must be aloud to speak ... "You weak minded fool!"

Subsequent failed attempt to control Jabba ... "Ho-ho-ho, your Jedi mind tricks won't work on me, boy"

(Side note: it's great how not only is "Jedi" still "Jedi" in Huttese, but the whole phrase "old Jedi mind trick" remains the same, as though there aren't Huttese words for "old", "mind" or "trick".)

Plus, telekinetics:

Obi-wan's noise down the hall to get the storm troopers away from the tractor beam control.

Luke hanging upside-down on Hoth, pulling his lightsaber to him.

Luke pulling the Gammorean Guard's blaster to him before falling down in the Rancor pit.

Thanks for the reminders on the mind tricks. Nothing to indicate complete control over an individual like somma the stuff Palpatine does in the prequels.  I mean, if Jabba can resist mind tricks...  Is Jabba a jedi?  They should've had him whip out a lightsabre in the prequels.

Also, the description of that Yoda scene points out that Yoda and R2D2 already knew one another, as they were both present at Luke's birth in the prequels and apparently went on missions together in the Clone Wars cartoon.  Bwahaha

Didn't they wipe the droids memories after all of that?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.