GDT: Sabres at Huricanes 10-14-14 7:30PM NBCSN

spndnchz

Drunkard prefers Natty, Bush and other beers considered to be swill by many here. I don't judge him on this. He's the anti beer snob.

Close except substitute Milwaukee Beers in for St. Louis ones. My favorite is still Milwaukee's Best Ice because it's cheap and strong. Started drinking it in high school and still love it to this day even during the times in my life where money wasn't as much of a worry/focal point.

You could argue that he's a beer snob, just with different preferences. :)

I guess so. I just liked the beers I first got used to and stuck with them. Plus I can't see spending 3 times the price or more on some fancy microbrew just because it was hand crafted by some beer geek in the mountains of whatever charming town USA using the finest imported hops and blah blah. It may be 8 or 10% alcohol by volume but at 3 times the price of my beloved corn water, I've got enough money leftover to support my tobacco habit as well.

I will say this yes almost all of us knew they were gonna be bad but I figured they would be pretty darn competitive. Last year when LaFontaine and Nolan came in they became watchable and at least in most games and they weren't getting outshot by 2-1 margains. The first 3 games they look brutal and getting badly outshot. I figured and I know it's still a long way before the end of season that they would finish bottom 5-8. Right now if they keep this up it's gonna be a long unwatchable season.

I'll let it go if it's Natty Ice. Otherwise I'm thinking ink is right, it's cat piss. Pure unaltered cat piss for that price. And in a can for sure!

The Beast Ice but it's all whatever. Milwaukee Products tend to run about a dollar cheaper than their Anheuser Busch counterparts (MGD to Budweiser, the Beast to Busch etc.). I became loyal to the Milwaukee beers and stuck with them. I've even got a tattoo of a beer mug over my heart that says Milwaukee and I've never even been to Wisconsin, I just love their beer. And I always go with cans even when I'm drinking something that also comes in bottles. Security follows me around enough as it is. I prefer to drink cans at home too though. Bottles weigh down the trash bags more and make me have to take out the garbage more often.

Edited by Drunkard

We've seen the same product for 3 years running. The pieces have changed, but the results look nearly identical. That's not effort, that's what a severe talent deficiency looks like.

Agreed. I saw plenty of try-hard during Rolston's run. They lost big to Chicago and Anaheim, two cup favorites, no shocker. Yeah, ok, it was uglier than expected, but what is most shocking is Nolan going nuclear with his comments after game 3 of 82. Good luck to Gionta. He looks weak on the ice, but I think he's gonna earn his cash dealing with the locker room & TN this year.

We're still blaming lack of talent because there's still a lack of talent. The Roy/Vanek/Pominvillle/Miller teams weren't world beaters by any stretch, but the results were *significantly* better than the results since they have been gradually purged from the roster. And this makes perfect sense, since today's team has much less talent than the team 5 years ago. That team wasn't good enough to compete for a Cup; this team isn't good enough to compete for a playoff bubble. Big difference there.

As to why the talent gap hasn't been addressed? I don't want to kickstart tank talk...but c'mon, it's obvious they haven't tried to improve since Pegula's first offseason as owner.

5 years. 5 YEARS! Your response, while logical and reasonable, isn't acceptable. Yes, there was overlap between Pegula's ownership, Regier, and Murray. What we're dealing with, at least we Sabres fans, is enough reason NOT to rely on a tank strategy to build up your team. No way. Because if we're at 5 years now, we're adding at least another 2 or 3 before they're POTENTIALLY playoff bound.

I guess this is tank-talk, sorry for that.

Game stats for tonight's match-up

http://www.nhl.com/g...avid=sb:preview

Here're the important ones:

SA/G: Buffalo: 43.7

Carolina: 28.5

S/G: Buffalo: 19.0

Carolina: 24.0

Goals For/G: Buffalo: 1.33

Carolina: 3.00

Goals Against/G: Buffalo 4.67

Carolina: 4.50

Anyone know where to get the lineups from? I think it's from twitter, but I don't have an account.

Edit: Why can't I post the stats box at the bottom of the page correctly on here? Mildly infuriating

Let's hope they don't squander their 1.33 goals for tonight

Can we talk about this a second? The Sabres rid themselves of Miller, Pominville, Vanek, Ehrhoff and I don't know who else who are relatively inarguably talented. Who were the untalented folks bringing down the team then, and who remain, and who took their spots with the same or less (lack of) talent?

This just kills me...between two regimes, three coaches, and many seasons now, the argument has been "they lack talent". And, I won't deny the veracity of that argument. But...WTF? After all of these season, has no one caught on? Hasn't there been enough time between, say, the Goose trade, and now to address this lack of talent?

Why, after 4 or 5 season, are we still blaming a lack of talent?

Because it is not on the NHL roster. Remember the fires that raged over seasoning guys in the NHL vs OHL? I am not reigniting that, just pointing out that the lower levels of competition do not expedite the maturation process. All good things in all good time.

I will say this yes almost all of us knew they were gonna be bad but I figured they would be pretty darn competitive. Last year when LaFontaine and Nolan came in they became watchable and at least in most games and they weren't getting outshot by 2-1 margains. The first 3 games they look brutal and getting badly outshot. I figured and I know it's still a long way before the end of season that they would finish bottom 5-8. Right now if they keep this up it's gonna be a long unwatchable season.

Not that this team has a Hasek, not even close unless you find a way to have the league allow Buffalo both Neuvirth and Enroth along w/ the 5 skaters (and even then they're not quite there, but they are close), but Nolan's 1st MMArena team stormed out of the gate almost as bad as this squad has. And not saying this squad isn't a hound's breakfast - it surely is.

But that '96-'97 squad stormed out of the gate 1-4, getting outscored 6-18, shutout twice and losing 2 at home by a combined 1-10. Ooh-aah-Sabres on the golf course indeed! That squad ended up 40-30-12 and won the only game 7 in Sabres history.

This team is bad, scaaaaary bad, but probably won't lose by a field goal+ to doormats like the Canes and Cats once the lines get some chemistry. Maybe even at present they'll compete. Baaahston on Saturday on the other hand, look out below, this one's going down - they don't have the goaltending to keep it manageable.

They'll probably even score a few goals once they figure out how to get the puck into the other end because even the CHL squads are unlikely to play their #1s against this motley crew. Almost no NHL team will waste their starter on them.

I expect them to continue to be outshot, but more typically 35-25, not 2-1 (nor 4-1 either).

Nolan said it's not just Meszaros but you can'T sit 10 guys— Paul Hamilton (@pham1717)

Yeeeeesh.

Also

Foligno will play. Strachan is in for Meszaros. Hodgson moves back to center. Girgensons will center Mitchell and Gionta.
-CR— Buffalo Sabres (@BuffaloSabres)

Hodgson back to center is idiotic. He has shown no clue about the defensive side of playing center. Why yank him around. Put him on wing and leave him there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.