GDT: Sabres at Huricanes 10-14-14 7:30PM NBCSN

spndnchz

I just want to believe he's the guy who gives the Latvian team a chance in the Olympics. I want to believe that we've got that Ted Nolan.

We absolutely have that Ted Nolan. The Latvian Team was no surprise. Nolan is a spectacular coach when he has a goalie that plays absolutely out of his mind.

We absolutely have that Ted Nolan. The Latvian Team was no surprise. Nolan is a spectacular coach when he has a goalie that plays absolutely out of his mind.

Masalskis and Gudlevskis played very well. But you cannot discount how hard the rest of the players on that team worked to try to make those games manageable. It wasn't all goaltending.

Masalskis and Gudlevskis played very well. But you cannot discount how hard the rest of the players on that team worked to try to make those games manageable. It wasn't all goaltending.

It was all goaltending. Those Latvian games looked like the Ducks-Sabres, only difference is the Latvian goalies performed a bit more miraculously than Neuvirth.

I know you're being optimistic and who knows, you may be right. I just think he's a ###### coach.

Censored word rhymes with kitty.

Edited by ubkev

57 -16

That's the shot differential in the Canada Game that they we're "in"

That's all goal-tending.

The rest of the games we're much better, averaging getting outshot 2-1, and allowing 2 of Switzerlands 3 total goals for the tournament.

We have THAT Ted Nolan.

57-16

It was all goaltending. Those Latvian games looked like the Ducks-Sabres, only difference is the Latvian goalies performed a bit more miraculously than Neuvirth.

If that's all you took from those games then you weren't paying close enough attention.

57 -16

That's the shot differential in the Canada Game that they we're "in"

That's all goal-tending.

The rest of the games we're much better, averaging getting outshot 2-1, and allowing 2 of Switzerlands 3 total goals for the tournament.

We have THAT Ted Nolan.

57-16

And this was the National stage. And proportionally the Sabres are a better team than the Latvian team. But let's compare them directly. That makes sense.

If that's all you took from those games then you weren't paying close enough attention.

And this was the National stage. And proportionally the Sabres are a better team than the Latvian team. But let's compare them directly. That makes sense.

The Sabres players are trying perfectly hard, just like the Latvians. They're just totally overmatched on talent. We have the exact same Ted Nolan and a very similar talent deficiency. We're just not getting unsustainably great goaltending. The whole effort argument is simply misdirecting blame.

Edit: in another thread, LTS mused how amazed he was how the team looks the same from Ruff to Rolston to Nolan. Of course it does, because when you're lacking so much, the coach is completely irrelevant in the macro sense.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

The Sabres players are trying perfectly hard, just like the Latvians. They're just totally overmatched on talent. We have the exact same Ted Nolan and a very similar talent deficiency. We're just not getting unsustainably great goaltending. The whole effort argument is simply misdirecting blame.

Edit: in another thread, LTS mused how amazed he was how the team looks the same from Ruff to Rolston to Nolan. Of course it does, because when you're lacking so much, the coach is completely irrelevant in the macro sense.

I can't get past this idea. They just aren't. I know what talentless players working hard looks like. Last night was not it.

I will be there in section 111 wearing a white Myers jersey. My really short wife will be wearing a Bruins shirt just to annoy me. I'll also be sitting with my brother and his wife, who will both have some sort of Sabres stuff on. Feel free to say hi. My wife thinks I have ebola though, so keep that in mind.

I'm 90% sure I'll be in section 100. My neighbor got two sets of tickets for this game, one set in section 100 and the other set in the Champions club. We've discussed the best strategy for dividing up the tickets and we thought it would be best to let our wives sit in the champions club so that they can cackle the game away up there. He also received a $250 canes bucks card with his tickets so that's good for 25 beers among the five of us on the house.... that should make the game easier to watch. It will be myself and four other Canes fans and I'll be wearing my home no name Sabres jersey.

The Sabres-Ducks is a greater talent differential than the Latvia-Switzerland matchup. Perfectly suitable for a direct comparison. Or we could use Nolans 90s Sabres. The body of work is extensive.

I can't get past this idea. They just aren't. I know what talentless players working hard looks like. Last night was not it.

We've seen the same product for 3 years running. The pieces have changed, but the results look nearly identical. That's not effort, that's what a severe talent deficiency looks like.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

He took the position knowing this team was a talent and spirit disaster. Why would he resign? That would just make him a quitter.

He wanted to follow his buddy out the door but his wallet wouldn't let him. He signed on for one reason and one reason only. No coach in their right mind sets themself up for failure like this unless they have no other options. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think i recall TN's name mentioned very often (or should I say ever) when coaching positions became available.

Can we talk about this a second? The Sabres rid themselves of Miller, Pominville, Vanek, Ehrhoff and I don't know who else who are relatively inarguably talented. Who were the untalented folks bringing down the team then, and who remain, and who took their spots with the same or less (lack of) talent?

This just kills me...between two regimes, three coaches, and many seasons now, the argument has been "they lack talent". And, I won't deny the veracity of that argument. But...WTF? After all of these season, has no one caught on? Hasn't there been enough time between, say, the Goose trade, and now to address this lack of talent?

Why, after 4 or 5 season, are we still blaming a lack of talent?

Drunkard prefers Natty, Bush and other beers considered to be swill by many here. I don't judge him on this. He's the anti beer snob.

I'll let it go if it's Natty Ice. Otherwise I'm thinking ink is right, it's cat piss. Pure unaltered cat piss for that price. And in a can for sure!

We've seen the same product for 3 years running. The pieces have changed, but the results look nearly identical. That's not effort, that's what a severe talent deficiency looks like.

Have you forgotten how bad this team looked when it had talent?

Can we talk about this a second? The Sabres rid themselves of Miller, Pominville, Vanek, Ehrhoff and I don't know who else who are relatively inarguably talented. Who were the untalented folks bringing down the team then, and who remain, and who took their spots with the same or less (lack of) talent?

This just kills me...between two regimes, three coaches, and many seasons now, the argument has been "they lack talent". And, I won't deny the veracity of that argument. But...WTF? After all of these season, has no one caught on? Hasn't there been enough time between, say, the Goose trade, and now to address this lack of talent?

Thank you.

We're still blaming lack of talent because there's still a lack of talent. The Roy/Vanek/Pominvillle/Miller teams weren't world beaters by any stretch, but the results were *significantly* better than the results since they have been gradually purged from the roster. And this makes perfect sense, since today's team has much less talent than the team 5 years ago. That team wasn't good enough to compete for a Cup; this team isn't good enough to compete for a playoff bubble. Big difference there.

As to why the talent gap hasn't been addressed? I don't want to kickstart tank talk...but c'mon, it's obvious they haven't tried to improve since Pegula's first offseason as owner.

Have you forgotten how bad this team looked when it had talent?

Sure do--a heck of a lot better than this team looks.

Well there are different levels of lacking talent..you've got the treadmill of mediocrity which we had been on for quite some time with the players you mentioned, then you've got a just plain bad hockey team that overachieves at the worst time to cost themselves a better draft position like we saw at the end of the 2013 season, and then you've got the complete ###### show we've seen for the past 85 games and counting. In respect to the game day thread I won't mention what I prefer and why again.

Dude, what the hell are you drinking?

Milwaukee's Best Ice usually which runs a little over $6.00 a 12 pack so you're looking at 50 cents a beer. In the stadium I usually get double cans of Labatt Blue for either $10 or $12 I can't really remember. I guess that's not a horrible price considering they are 24 ounces but I typically double fist my beers in order to cut down on trips to the line so I'm looking at $20 or $24 each time I get in line plus whatever I'm buying for the woman when she comes along with me.

I'm 90% sure I'll be in section 100. My neighbor got two sets of tickets for this game, one set in section 100 and the other set in the Champions club. We've discussed the best strategy for dividing up the tickets and we thought it would be best to let our wives sit in the champions club so that they can cackle the game away up there. He also received a $250 canes bucks card with his tickets so that's good for 25 beers among the five of us on the house.... that should make the game easier to watch. It will be myself and four other Canes fans and I'll be wearing my home no name Sabres jersey.

So you'll be the substitute Drunkard today. Nice.

So you'll be the substitute Drunkard today. Nice.

Nah...not unless I use all five of mine of Foothills Seeing Double IPA or something. I'll keep my drinks more sessionable and I'll just be numb to the bad hockey but not belligerent or anything. However, just in case things get out of hand I've ordered a car service to take us to and from the game, so no tailgating for me.

I haven't looked if it's stopped raining, but if it has I'll bet there will be Sabres fans tailgating in that spot I told you about within the hour.

Edited by Claude_Verret

Nah...not unless I use all five of mine of Foothills Seeing Double IPA or something. I'll keep my drinks more sessionable and I'll just be numb to the bad hockey but not belligerent or anything. However, just in case things get out of hand I've ordered a car service to take us to and from the game, so no tailgating for me.

I haven't looked if it's stopped raining, but if it has I'll bet there will be Sabres fans tailgating in that spot I told you about within the hour.

Rain will probably ruin the outdoor options anyway.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.