Zero F#cks Given

Eleven

You have to be pretty careful when using relative Corsi to compare players on different teams. Relative Corsi compares a player's Corsi to that of his teammates--so it will vary not only by player, but also by team. Example below.

Player A is on Team X, and has a relative Corsi of 5. Player B is on Team Y, and has a relative Corsi of -3. Is Player A a much better possession player than Player B? Maybe, but team context has to be taken into account. If Team X's Corsi is 40 and Team Y's Corsi is 55, then Player B might actually be the better possession player.

Put another way, the best possession player on a crappy possession team will probably have a nice looking relative Corsi while the worst possession player on a good team might have a bad relative Corsi...but that doesn't necessarily mean the former is a better possession player than the latter. Granted, that could be the case, but it doesn't have to be (which is what a straight relative corsi comparison would lead you to believe). To put names on it, Mike Richards' relative Corsi was a poor -4.1, while Johan Larsson was a terrific 11.5. Does this mean Larsson is a much better possession player than Richards at this point in their respective careers? Could be, but that would be misusing the stat (which I'm sure the Corsi critics would happily do) because you have to consider LA's team corsi-for % was 56.8 while the Sabres was 43. So while Richards pretty clearly isn't an elite-level possession player, being surrounded by elite possession players may make him look worse than he is, while the inverse is true for Larsson.

I got invited to a facebook group for my high school ten year reunion today.

So that.

At least you got invited... I just got added to mine. I'd like to say there is 0 f#cks given moment in here but that will come next summer at the reunion. I will probably go and I will talk to the ppl I actually liked in high school. As for the rest of the stuck up preppy asshats, 0 F#cks Given.

11 -- I love the phrase and the thread title, but isn't the point of it kinda missed by this type of list? i.e. when GMTM buys out Ehrhoff with zero f---s given, isn't the point more like "Whoa -- he just tossed his best defenseman to the curb with zero f---s given! He's an animal!"?

OTOH, if someone here just says he's not interested in the Kardashians (and no offense is intended to whomever did so) -- my reaction is more of a yawn -- i.e. no kidding -- i.e. of course you're not interested in the Kardashians, or non-fat peach yogurt, or the governor of Saskatchwan. But that doesn't make me say "Holy mackerel -- that guy really gives zero f---s about the Kardashians! He's dangerous!"

I think "zero f---s given" should only be used when using it makes you sit up and take notice.

Something like "PASabreFan doesn't care what nfreeman thinks about the Pegulas' daughter's twitter feed! Even though nfreeman could ban him or change his avatar anytime he wants! What a madman! Zero f---s given there!"

This.

Zero Funks Given is specific and fairly awesome. It requires an element of irony in order to apply to a situation. Like all such devices, if it gets thrown around and over-used, it loses its rhetorical force.

The last time I actually saw someone conduct themselves such that I could have said -- "Ha. Man - zero ###### given right there." -- was on a camping trip that was dudes only -- a beer, bourbon, cards, grilled meat fest of sorts. We were in cabins. The running water was in a central "comfort" station, where there were some showers. As it happened, the only other group near us was a varied group of adults -- almost all women (somewhat younger than us actually). One of our crew went to take a shower in the middle of the afternoon (a cool October day), and someone pulled the old camp gag of taking all of his clothes and towels, and leaving him with nothing more than a hand towel to his name. And this dude was a big fella. And then we waited, tittering and fist bumping. It was perfect timing: Some of our lady neighbors were out front, setting up a badminton net or something. And then out strolls our hero: Hand towel draped jauntily around his neck (with him holding onto each side of it). He walked toward his cabin, in no particular hurry. Not amused, but not unamused either. He might have been quietly whistling. Zero ###### given.

I had this conversation with probably the smartest all-around person I know last night who is a top MD. At least the Gluten part. Humans are pretty much allergic to any foreign substance. Salt and wheat have been the basis of survival for millennia. It's a fad.

Smartest MD guy might be aware that the wheat that we eat now (thanks, Monsanto!) is very, very different from the wheat that our ancestors -- shoot, that our grandparents -- ate. My niece was a chronic GI mess until my brother and sister in law got her off gluten -- she's the picture of health now.

TrueBluePhD, on 10 July 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

I chuckled.

Edited by That Aud Smell

11 -- I love the phrase and the thread title, but isn't the point of it kinda missed by this type of list? i.e. when GMTM buys out Ehrhoff with zero f---s given, isn't the point more like "Whoa -- he just tossed his best defenseman to the curb with zero f---s given! He's an animal!"?

OTOH, if someone here just says he's not interested in the Kardashians (and no offense is intended to whomever did so) -- my reaction is more of a yawn -- i.e. no kidding -- i.e. of course you're not interested in the Kardashians, or non-fat peach yogurt, or the governor of Saskatchwan. But that doesn't make me say "Holy mackerel -- that guy really gives zero f---s about the Kardashians! He's dangerous!"

I think "zero f---s given" should only be used when using it makes you sit up and take notice.

Something like "PASabreFan doesn't care what nfreeman thinks about the Pegulas' daughter's twitter feed! Even though nfreeman could ban him or change his avatar anytime he wants! What a madman! Zero f---s given there!"

Just have fun, dammit.

This.

Zero Funks Given is specific and fairly awesome. It requires an element of irony in order to apply to a situation. Like all such devices, if it gets thrown around and over-used, it loses its rhetorical force.

The last time I actually saw someone conduct themselves such that I could have said -- "Ha. Man - zero ###### given right there." -- was on a camping trip that was dudes only -- a beer, bourbon, cards, grilled meat fest of sorts. We were in cabins. The running water was in a central "comfort" station, where there were some showers. As it happened, the only other group near us was a varied group of adults -- almost all women (somewhat younger than us actually). One of our crew went to take a shower in the middle of the afternoon (a cool October day), and someone pulled the old camp gag of taking all of his clothes and towels, and leaving him with nothing more than a hand towel to his name. And this dude was a big fella. And then we waited, tittering and fist bumping. It was perfect timing: Some of our lady neighbors were out front, setting up a badminton net or something. And then out strolls our hero: Hand towel draped jauntily around his neck (with him holding onto each side of it). He walked toward his cabin, in no particular hurry. Not amused, but not unamused either. He might have been quietly whistling. Zero ###### given.

Right on.

And that is a great, truly zero-f---s-given story.

In fact, if this thread were to turn into a series of similar stories, someone might even pin it.

I can't top naked strut but in HS for Senior Prom, my buddy had never had a date and had never asked a girl out but the rest of us all had dates and we felt bad for him... well kinda. 2 weeks before prom I was moved to 0 ###### given. Our cafeteria had a stage in the front because 1950's school architecture. In the middle of lunch after hearing him whine about not having a date, I proceeded to get up onto said stage and quiet the room. I then asked if there where any single ladies that would love to go to the Senior Prom with my friend. They would be expected to have 2 dances, eat dinner with, and take pictures with him and we would cover her ticket. I jested at him and how he wasn't bad looking and how there must be some lovely young woman in the audience willing to go with him. At this point my buddy is redder than the fire of a thousands suns with embarrassment. And so with some assurances of our seriousness and my charming smile 1 young lady came forward. She was a Sophmore who had other friends going to prom and wanted to go but ironically was more attractive than anyone else in our groups date. She did all the required stuff and my friend had a wonderful time. Why? Because 0 F#cks Given.

You can't give them less than zero and then give them one. That just doesn't make any sense.

He can.. because he gives zero #### about logic.

Educated adults that can't use proper grammar and English when sending Emails. It's bad enough an increasing percentage can't speak it any more, much less type it.

Ima sen you a msg n it will go sumfin lik dis.

For what it's worth.. "naked strut" wins.

At least you got invited... I just got added to mine. I'd like to say there is 0 f#cks given moment in here but that will come next summer at the reunion. I will probably go and I will talk to the ppl I actually liked in high school. As for the rest of the stuck up preppy asshats, 0 F#cks Given.

Heh, my 20-year is tonight and tomorrow. I'd go since having a few beers is always a good time. Unfortunately, MrsPie is due in 28 days and a 6-hour drive means no va.

I think you're right. That being said, at the start of every course I tell my students I will respond to emails as quickly as possible, unless it is a question that can be answered in the syllabus. In which case, I will not answer the email at all. Last semester I had a student miss the turn in for the paper by two weeks. Said student complained that they asked in an email what the due date was, and requested the late work be accepted. I reiterated my policy on email questions, and the 0 remained. And seriously if you can't be bothered to read the syllabus I probably don't want to read your crappy research paper anyway. Zero f#cks given.

CPAP machines. Everyone I know who has done a sleep study now has to use one. I wonder how the human race has survived these many thousands of years without these devices.

(By the way, for those who do need to use them, this blurb was written for entertainment purposes only. ZFG)

Any form of squash, vile weed

Baltimore Ravens

Floss

People that walk their dogs so they can piss and crap on my lawn and not their own

Internet commercials

Flavored waters

Pasteurized Process Imitation Chesse Food .. How many words do you need to say fake cheese

TrueBlue's story reminded me of an academic story from the student side. Way back in my senior year of high school we had a term paper due in one of our classes. It was essential for passing the class and therefore graduation. The day it was due, I passed by my friends locker on the way to class and as we walked to class together I asked where his term paper was. His response verbatim: "I didn't do it. ###### it." You could tell by the tone of his voice and his subsequent justifications that he was psyching himself up for a confrontation with the teacher.

We get to class and the teacher immediately begins collecting the papers, and he comes to the desk of my empty handed friend.

Teacher: Where's your paper?

Friend: I don't have it.

Teacher: What do you mean you don't have it?

Friend: I didn't do it.

Teacher: You do realize that you will fail this class and not graduate , right?

Friend: What can you do?

At this point the teacher hits the roof...

What can you do?!! What can you do??? I'll tell you what you can do!! You can get the hell out of my classroom and not graduate that's what you can do...and on and on he berated him for a few minutes. And my friend just sat there stone faced, stood up, left his books on the desk and walked out..... with zero ###### given.

Of course they ultimately let him do some BS make up project so that he ended up graduating by the skin of his teeth, but on that day that kid gave zero ###### whatsoever if he ended up graduating or not.

Years later when he got out of the air force and used me as a reference to become a US Marshall, I left this story out when they interviewed me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.