The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

He's not useless in a limited role, but if he's forced to be top dog against the other team's best players then yea, that's not ending well at this point. This whole situation is why I was so mad at the Ehrhoff buyout.

As far as playoffs in 2018, if the only thing Murray does is let our prospects develop, then it may well be longer than I anticipate. But I don't expect that to happen.

After this season, especially if Murray gets his superstar in either Mc David or Eichel, I fully expect him to start spending some of the 28 Million he has in cap room for next season. In addition prospects and picks will be traded for NHL ready talent. I would expect playoffs after the 2016-17 season.

After this season, especially if Murray gets his superstar in either Mc David or Eichel, I fully expect him to start spending some of the 28 Million he has in cap room for next season. In addition prospects and picks will be traded for NHL ready talent. I would expect playoffs after the 2016-17 season.

I wouldn't want any money on that until after we've seen some maturation of the kids next season, but that has to be the Sabres' goal/expectation as well.

Well, as TBPhD has ably articulated, it sure seemed last summer like they were trying to put together a more respectable team. So far, not so good.

It kinda begs the question: what if GMTM, for all his lovable plainspokenness and ZFG attitude...isn't the right guy? What if he's one of those guys who's always sure he's right but is actually wrong most of the time?

Way too soon to evaluate, of course, but there are valid questions about a number of his moves so far:

- extension for Nolan

- Reinhart

- McNabb

- Ehrhoff

- Gionta

- Moulson

It's not impossible that a year from now, most or all of those moves will look pretty bad -- especially if the Sabres end up drafting #3 or #4 in June.

I like TM, and I'm optimistic about all of the moves listed above, but still -- this might not turn out the way we're hoping.

I think a lot of the evaluation is a matter of perspective. We'll never know how good he though the team would be this year, nor how impactful he expected each move to be on the ice. My own interpretation is that he very much has his eye on the long term and didn't think the team would be worth spit this year, which is why Ehrhoff's recapture scared him so much and why he was intent on bringing in veteran leaders like Gionta and Gorges. Guys who wouldn't move the needle much on the ice but would help keep the locker room from imploding. I still firmly believe he expected, and wanted, this year's team to be bad enough to get a high (preferably highest) lottery pick. Under that lense, he's done fine and I'm not worried about him long term. He wanted to stay bad without looking like that was the intent, aka the anti-Darcy of the last two years.

However, there is of course the other perspective: he really did try to make the team significantly better and the cumulation of his moves has fallen woefully short of that goal. If that's the case, well, that's a total disaster--we're not better and our GM is inept, but new enough where it's highly unlikely to cost him his job. The silver lining here would be that even the best GMs screw up, and sometimes in grand fashion. Also, even if everything Murray did was wrong, only the Ehrhoff and Moulson decisions will have much of a long term impact--everything else can be corrected in a year or two.

I think a lot of the evaluation is a matter of perspective. We'll never know how good he though the team would be this year, nor how impactful he expected each move to be on the ice. My own interpretation is that he very much has his eye on the long term and didn't think the team would be worth spit this year, which is why Ehrhoff's recapture scared him so much and why he was intent on bringing in veteran leaders like Gionta and Gorges. Guys who wouldn't move the needle much on the ice but would help keep the locker room from imploding. I still firmly believe he expected, and wanted, this year's team to be bad enough to get a high (preferably highest) lottery pick. Under that lense, he's done fine and I'm not worried about him long term. He wanted to stay bad without looking like that was the intent, aka the anti-Darcy of the last two years.

However, there is of course the other perspective: he really did try to make the team significantly better and the cumulation of his moves has fallen woefully short of that goal. If that's the case, well, that's a total disaster--we're not better and our GM is inept, but new enough where it's highly unlikely to cost him his job. The silver lining here would be that even the best GMs screw up, and sometimes in grand fashion. Also, even if everything Murray did was wrong, only the Ehrhoff and Moulson decisions will have much of a long term impact--everything else can be corrected in a year or two.

Moulson at best will be a winger for McDavid or Eichel next year. At worst he will be one for Reinhart, either way his point total will climb.

Ehrhoff wanted out and given the fact that Murray stated he hated his contract since he took over as GM it made sense for both sides to move on.

Well, as TBPhD has ably articulated, it sure seemed last summer like they were trying to put together a more respectable team. So far, not so good.

It kinda begs the question: what if GMTM, for all his lovable plainspokenness and ZFG attitude...isn't the right guy? What if he's one of those guys who's always sure he's right but is actually wrong most of the time?

Way too soon to evaluate, of course, but there are valid questions about a number of his moves so far:

- extension for Nolan

- Reinhart

- McNabb

- Ehrhoff

- Gionta

- Moulson

It's not impossible that a year from now, most or all of those moves will look pretty bad -- especially if the Sabres end up drafting #3 or #4 in June.

I like TM, and I'm optimistic about all of the moves listed above, but still -- this might not turn out the way we're hoping.

I think TM is a genius - everything he has done has been with the goal of finishing in dead last. The re-hiring of Nolan is brilliant, his "play hard" message can get a team only so far. Lets me honest - if it wasn't for Hasek we probably wouldn't even remember his name.

he bought out the best Dman and broght in 2 guys from Mtl who are character players but definitely wont help with the Sabres biggest weakness - puck possession and goal scoring.

Moulson may even be a 3rd line vet in 2 or 3 years once the prospects are ready to push him for playing time.

There is no way you can say that the Kings won the trade for McNabb. Lets wait a couple of years and see what happens with Fashing.

In regards to Reinhart - you would think we would have learnt a lesson about trying to judge an 18 year old in his first 9 games with Grigerenko. Druin just spent last year back in the ``Q`` now he is on a line with Stamkos. Would you consider him a bust???

I believe this is his strategy as well. There is no need to go on a spending spree for talented FAs until he has a solid new core in place. He's got a nice compliment of glue guys already. And the consensus best pipeline of young talent he can parlay into solid veteran players if he so chooses. He's got to hit on one of the superstars coming out the next draft though.

GO SABRES!!!

What have we learned with Grigerenko?

Clearly not how to spell his name.

I think we have learned that a 18yr old kid should not be expected to step into a man's league and be able to contribute consistently. They lack the mental maturity and the physical maturity to succeed. As fans and as a team we need to stop assuming every first round pick we draft will be the exception to the rule.

Until next years draft right?

Well it depends on the player we draft. We draft 4th and take Zacha, I send him back. We draft 1/2/3 and get McEichelfin then you will have to see where those players are in development. Most likely all 3 would be ready but again we would have to see.

But even if he doesn't get his superstar, I think that's his plan. It may color what he trades for, though. He might be willing to give more to get someone like Nyquist for instance.

Quick update on the Tank.... Buffalo is NOW once again in last place in points with 7. Carolina has pulled ahead with 8, and out of their early funk of injuries, etc. Columbus also has 8, but both Carolina and Columbus have played fewer games than Buffalo (2 fewer and 1 fewer respectively).

Tank on, Wayne!

Tank on, Garth!

Some other stats that put Buffalo in a class by their own at the bottom; the following are all WORST IN THE NHL

Goals per game - 1.08. The next worst team, Florida - 1.5 goals per game.

Shots for - 20.9. The next worst team is Calgary with 26.8, or almost 6 shots per game more. That's a big gap!

Shots against - 36.6 - next worst is Ottawa with 35.5

Where we really shine, though, is the shots against differential. Our differential is -15.7 in Shots Against. The next worst team is Colorado, with a -7.4. We literally lead this onerous stat by a 2 to 1 ratio!

Goals against - tied for last with Arizona at 43. However, we pull away from Arizona in differential, which is the worst in the NHL at -2.23. Arizona has a paltry differential of -1.0 by comparison. In fact, the second worst is -1.0, so we lead this horrible stat by a full 1.23 goals!

That's some pretty putrid stuff right there. GMTM has given us Tank, the likes of which even God has never seen!

Quick update on the Tank.... Buffalo is NOW once again in last place in points with 7. Carolina has pulled ahead with 8, and out of their early funk of injuries, etc. Columbus also has 8, but both Carolina and Columbus have played fewer games than Buffalo (2 fewer and 1 fewer respectively).

Tank on, Wayne!

Tank on, Garth!

And Columbus/Carolina play each other in their next game