The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

I actually see a scenario unfolding where Murray trades with a team like Carolina to acquire their first and give them (something plus say St Louis' First) in an effort to hedge his bets on winning the lottery.

You're not going to find somebody as stupid as Garth Snow. We're not getting Carolina's first unless we're offering up a HUGE return.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a party.

And what if we get neither? Didn't we already just lose a lottery? What if we get one of them and they get a career ending injury in training camp? What if they are great, but the rest of the team stinks? One player doesn't guarantee a Cup. There are plenty of ifs, and to throw away yet another season (making it 2+ now) is horseshit.

It was an idea sold by someone who was here too long and ran out of good ideas to build a team. It's now perpetuated (smartly BTW) by someone who gets a free pass in his first couple of years.

The reason I originally said that this season was going to awful isn't really about the hockey, It's that I'm going to have to hear, ad nauseam, about how I just "don't get it." Look, I get it,… and I get it, … and I ###### GET IT. I just don't agree with it.

Also, If I want to watch guys "develop", I'll watch the AHL, CHL, CCHL, NCAA,…………………

Nobody said it guarantees anything. All those "ifs" are still in play under any other strategy of rebuilding. Strawmen.

I don't blame anyone for not agreeing with it or liking it, but in a year where this team isn't sniffing the playoffs let alone a Cup, to piss away your chance at these guys, however small that chance may be would be totally irresponsible IMO.

You're not going to find somebody as stupid as Garth Snow. We're not getting Carolina's first unless we're offering up a HUGE return.

If around December/January the Canes are in the thick of the playoff hunt but need say defense, depending on variables you could get their first. The Canes are a team that rely on making at least 1 playoff round to make cash.

I don't see Stewart on the trading block. If he is traded, I think it would be bad for Buffalo's rep, unless it's a Moulson type thing. If he stinks up the ice, okay, but if he plays they way they need him to, they have to extend him or no one who's serious about playing will want to come here.

I don't see Stewart on the trading block. If he is traded, I think it would be bad for Buffalo's rep, unless it's a Moulson type thing. If he stinks up the ice, okay, but if he plays they way they need him to, they have to extend him or no one who's serious about playing will want to come here.

He said the second he came here that he didn't know how long he would be here. Guys aren't going to think "remember that one time that inconsistent winger was only there for a short time on an expiring contract and got traded? I don't want that to happen so ###### Buffalo." He would also have to want to be here.

Edited by Tankalicious

I agree with Tank on this one. You know what brings good players to Buffalo? Winning hockey games and if anyone has to be traded to continue this rebuild then so be it. If the rebuild goes according to play then nobody will care in 3 years what happened to Chris Stewart.

Agreed. The tank is over. I see hockey trades from here on in (as opposed to our players for collections of picks).

Here's another you heard it here first. The biggest trade the Sabres will be involved in this season will move one or more of our firsts for a bonafide, established stud with contract remaining.

BOOM!

You mean...the kind of trade that Darcy always avoided because he didn't believe in getting into auctions?

I can see it and I hope you're right.

I actually see a scenario unfolding where Murray trades with a team like Carolina to acquire their first and give them (something plus say St Louis' First) in an effort to hedge his bets on winning the lottery.

There is zero chance of this happening.

And what if we get neither? Didn't we already just lose a lottery? What if we get one of them and they get a career ending injury in training camp? What if they are great, but the rest of the team stinks? One player doesn't guarantee a Cup. There are plenty of ifs, and to throw away yet another season (making it 2+ now) is horseshit.

It was an idea sold by someone who was here too long and ran out of good ideas to build a team. It's now perpetuated (smartly BTW) by someone who gets a free pass in his first couple of years.

The reason I originally said that this season was going to awful isn't really about the hockey, It's that I'm going to have to hear, ad nauseam, about how I just "don't get it." Look, I get it,… and I get it, … and I ###### GET IT. I just don't agree with it.

Also, If I want to watch guys "develop", I'll watch the AHL, CHL, CCHL, NCAA,…………………

1 player may not guarantee a Stanley Cup but would you admit that having either McDavid or Eichel improves your odds over whomever is drafted 12th?

If you are looking for guarantees the only one I can think of is that if the Sabres do come in last they will get one of them "win or lose" the lottery.

You mean...the kind of trade that Darcy always avoided because he didn't believe in getting into auctions?

I can see it and I hope you're right.

There is zero chance of this happening.

I would say there is zero chance of any team potentially in the lottery giving up their 1st rounder this year. Edited by Crusader1969

Meszaros is a pretty damning addition. There was no reason to add him other than in an attempt to win more games this year (IMO, the marginal benefit of a possible late second rounder is far out weighed by the season long improvement on the blue-line) . We are not icing the worst possible roster. Murray is not all in on the tank (yet).

I hate phones. I managed to delete my reply rather than editing. Anyway, I disagree with this. Meszaros was a shell of his former self. I think adding him was all about creating a numbers game so we don't regularly ice three rookies. It's about those players developing properly, not winning more games. As to the possible rebuttal of why not get a lower profile Dman to serve this purpose...because he'd probably get beaten out for the spot.

1 player may not guarantee a Stanley Cup but would you admit that having either McDavid or Eichel improves your odds over whomever is drafted 12th?

If you are looking for guarantees the only one I can think of is that if the Sabres do come in last they will get one of them "win or lose" the lottery.

I would say there is zero chance of any team potentially in the lottery giving up their 1st rounder this year.

Winner winner chicken dinner

I hate phones. I managed to delete my reply rather than editing. Anyway, I disagree with this. Meszaros was a shell of his former self. I think adding him was all about creating a numbers game so we don't regularly ice three rookies. It's about those players developing properly, not winning more games. As to the possible rebuttal of why not get a lower profile Dman to serve this purpose...because he'd probably get beaten out for the spot.

I think you're reading to far into it. Making too many leaps. Could have resigned Hank, simply allowed him to keep his job and accomplished the same thing.

I think you're reading to far into it. Making too many leaps. Could have resigned Hank, simply allowed him to keep his job and accomplished the same thing.

Maybe. But I'm still not convinced Murray is interested in winning too many games this year. I think he wants to build the right environment for the kids to develop and saw a lot of leeway between improving and losing out on a high pick, so he took more steps than strictly necessary to hit the cap floor. It may turn out he overshot things and we draft 7th, but I do not think that's the intent.

Maybe. But I'm still not convinced Murray is interested in winning too many games this year. I think he wants to build the right environment for the kids to develop and saw a lot of leeway between improving and losing out on a high pick, so he took more steps than strictly necessary to hit the cap floor. It may turn out he overshot things and we draft 7th, but I do not think that's the intent.

You and I both know that he could have left all the important prospects except Girgensons (who is the least likely to be adversely affected by a terrible season because he makes Chuck Norris look like and emotional sissy) in their respective development leagues all season and hit the floor with a team incapable of winning 20 games.

I really don't think he's shooting for the lottery (yet).

If around December/January the Canes are in the thick of the playoff hunt but need say defense, depending on variables you could get their first. The Canes are a team that rely on making at least 1 playoff round to make cash.

Considering Staal is out until then and Skinner has a concussion, can't see this happening. The Canes are in full blown rebuild mode, and they may have timed their tank better than we did.

The Hurricanes will obviously finish last. This year is a standard reverse repeat of the 2006 playoffs. Carolina Hurricanes last; Edmonton Oilers second last; Buffalo Sabres third last; Anaheim Ducks fourth. Don't you guys pay attention to astrology? We'll pick third after the lottery.

That's beautiful. It's why I read this board. It's what I should copy and print here, when you write, so beautifully, F@#$ the TanK! You are thinking clearly good friend. Don't let the bottom feeders corrupt your will towards success. It's our motto here: Excelsior!

I'm rooting for the team to win. Every game. That's hockey.

That's your version of hockey. There's no one way to be a fan. Down horsey.

I would be shocked if we finished bottom 5

I'd be shocked if we didn't. I predicted that we finish second to last just because picking third overall is what I expect. But I see this team finishing 4-5th to last.

Edited by Tankalicious